Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01

I have recently started getting into street photography. I have a K3, a blue K30 and a compact but for some reason I fancy a K-01 but the prices appear to be going up. There is a virtually new one on the market place but the price is (justifiably) more than I want to spend but last year you could get one 25-50% cheaper than their current price. Is this camera belatedly becoming the thing to have? And, how easy are they to use? I always worry about seeing LCD in bright sunlight, the one on my K30 is useless on a sunny day. Just how good are they?

07-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-01 - PentaxForums.com
07-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

I have a K-01 and really like it, but from what you say, I don't think you'll be happy with the K-01. For a start, the screen is the same part as the K-30 as far as I know. In fact, the K-01 is very much like a K-30 without the viewfinder. Secondly, I don't think it's a good choice for street photography because the focusing is slow compared to other cameras. It's fine for street scenes when you've got time, but if you are trying to catch a particular moment, it's frustrating.

I guess you are thinking that not holding the camera to your face will be less conspicuous. In that case the Ricoh GR is really good. It's very discreet and basically made with street photography in mind. The focusing is not always the fastest, but it has the snap focus feature. You can set it so that half depressing the shutter release will focus as normal, but a quick full press will default to a set focal distance. So you don't have to wait for the focusing operation to finish if the subject is within the range you have preset. I believe the screen Ricoh used in the GR is the next generation from the one in the K-01, so brighter. Of course, this all depends on you being happy with the 28mm equivalent field of view, and I'm not sure how much a used GR costs compared to a K-01 where you live.
07-19-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually think the K-01 is underrated. It got rubbished a bit for its styling (which I'm ok with - at least its not boring) and somewhat slow AF.

Yes the one significant disadvantage is using the screen in sun light. I usually manage by shielding the screen with my other hand or even just shooting blind. But other than that it is relatively compact, I can use all my good quality lenses with it and has very image good quality (in some ways better than my K-5 due to weaker anti aliasing filter). If I'm travelling light then the K-01 + DA40XS (and maybe DA15 + DA70) is my go to kit.

07-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not "the thing to have"... simply who wanted it already got it and isn't selling it, some broke or became unusable, "new old stock" has progressively run out and prices just reflect the scarcity.
07-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #6
Unregistered User

I have had both the K30 and the K-01 for several years, I can't recommend one over the other, it is a matter of personal taste. I find that I use the K-01 much more than the K30, it suits my shooting style better—I generally use manual focus. Although the screens are the same, the K-01 has a bigger battery and I find that the K30s live view is awkward to use. Occasionally I will have trouble with the K-01 the sun but not too often. If you can't use the screen on your K30 now it would be a deal-breaker. The K-01 is more convenient on a copy stand. I use the assignable red button on the K-01 to toggle focus peaking on and off, a feature I use regularly. It is a testament to Pentax quality that the K-01 (and the Q series as well) have increased in price since they have been stopped being made.
07-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One is on market place now:
Pentax K-01 camera - PentaxForums.com
I own one and use it often. But indeed shooting in the sun could be challenging. Hat with brim (visor or peak) big enough solves the problem partially.

07-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies it is nice to know the thread police are in the minority generally I would have researched but given we are in the process of trying to get our post count up, and there are lots of new members about I thought I would just ask the question.

There are some interesting points here. Did you know one sold on another forum for £100, with the 40mm xs lens. I am not expecting to find anything like that but you can always hope I use my K30 with manual lenses and have the magnifying eyepiece. It has been slightly peculiar of late and I don't trust it completely, hence looking around. I do find, as suggested that I feel somewhat awkward pointing my K3/K30 at people and suspect they may find a K-0, especially a yellow one somewhat less threatening. I have an Olympus Stylus 1s which shares the same sensor as the Pentax Q, has an articulating screen and viewfinder, has all the modes and shoots raw. It will probably be my "street" camera, especially as IQ doesn't seem to be quite as important on the street. Regarding performance, I may be better replacing my K30 with another K3 body (I really love my K3). I think i will grab a K-01 if one falls in my lap and is cheap but having read all your posts I don't think I will place it at the top of my list, near the top but not actually there. Re. the one in the marketplace, that is a decent price but once I add on vat and customs fees I would be looking at £350, ouch!
07-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use mine mainly when I travel. It is then mainly used for architecture and street scenes. IQ is superb.
07-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Was lost my K-01 for awhile, now back to glad and use it for small manual/automatic lens. The K3 is great for heavy work lens etc; but the choice is great to K-01 small easy work. Thank you. Cheers

Last edited by gmans; 07-19-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: think k3 vs k-01
07-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-01 that I had converted to full spectrum and use it for my IR camera. I was surprised at its ergonomics and it handles really well but the sore spot is what you mentioned, it's inability to produce a bright enough LCD screen image in full sunlight. That isn't that big an issue most of the time, however, I purchased a "Pixco" viewfinder for it which fits well and pops on an off fairly easy (magnetic). With that, the bright sun issue is fixed though it does have to be used as a VF camera in those exceptionally bright surroundings.

As others have mentioned, the image quality is great and pixel-wise, it's just like a cropped version of my K-1 (same pixel density in cropped area). I've noted a lot of people liking the K-01 so that may be the reason for price increases (along with fewer being available as the supply shrinks).
07-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I think many of us love the little camera. The design and even the feel is unusual but attractive. My only grip has been the lack of an evf but even that adds a bit of personality to the little box.
07-19-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I use K-01 professionally for real estate and interior photography. Its mostly on tripod so it works better than standard dslr
07-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I have a K-01 that I had converted to full spectrum and use it for my IR camera. I was surprised at its ergonomics and it handles really well but the sore spot is what you mentioned, it's inability to produce a bright enough LCD screen image in full sunlight. That isn't that big an issue most of the time, however, I purchased a "Pixco" viewfinder for it which fits well and pops on an off fairly easy (magnetic). With that, the bright sun issue is fixed though it does have to be used as a VF camera in those exceptionally bright surroundings.

As others have mentioned, the image quality is great and pixel-wise, it's just like a cropped version of my K-1 (same pixel density in cropped area). I've noted a lot of people liking the K-01 so that may be the reason for price increases (along with fewer being available as the supply shrinks).
Did the same thing. Converted my K-01 to full spectrum a couple of years ago and have been very please with it. I use a flip up viewfinder for most of my outdoor work.
07-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as the sun on the LCD, this is what I use. It's like using a viewfinder to your eye and one hand or a hat brim across the top and no problems. Less bulky than a Hoodman.
And another reason they are more expensive, those of us that really like the K-01 may have more than one, I have a yellow, 2 black, and a smurf blue

Last edited by zippythezip; 07-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.