Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But hey, I could be talking out the back of my behind for all that I know... now how polite was that version.
Turn around Mr. K! The Red enhancer works a treat if you have sodium lighting ruining your dark skies when you want to shoot some astro. I don't know about the high priced versions in the OP's post but the simple Hoya Red Enhancer improves how much contrast you get when the sky isn't quite as dark as you want due to cities and neighbors with security lights.

07-22-2018, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Turn around Mr. K! The Red enhancer works a treat if you have sodium lighting ruining your dark skies when you want to shoot some astro. I don't know about the high priced versions in the OP's post but the simple Hoya Red Enhancer improves how much contrast you get when the sky isn't quite as dark as you want due to cities and neighbors with security lights.
Sounds almost like the old days of black and white, when a red filter gave you black skies.
07-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Hey, quite a few reactions to my original post. Definitely thanks to everyone for contributing and providing perspectives so far.

Not that much love for and some reservations about the somewhat pricey dedicated light pollution filters, it seems. Suggestions regarding cheaper alternatives such as Hoya's Red Enhancer / Intensifier. And now - admittedly after some googling - I even learnt what the Bortle scale refers to ...

I remain curious, though, what Rollei's Astroklar will actually give me in the field and in post. If anything forum-worthy comes of it, I shall be back with images.
We will be waiting for samples!

A lot of filters shows what waves do they filter out, but I did not find for this one filter to compare.
For example, Hoya Red Intensifier:

Pure Night:

Astronomik CLS filter:

Not all filters provide transmission data, but if you check, most of them covers the same wavelength (+-). So this is the reason I went with the cheapest one, Hoya Red Intensifier. But it would be interesting to compare the results side by side. Though it is full moon, I might try taking my own sample shots on Wednesday, they forecast a clear evening and night.

Also, there is an Astrophotography group in Pentaxforums for like-minded.