Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all

I'm intent on winning a K-1. Preferably, this month, but if not, then next month.

I've been posting about the photos here. I know I repeat myself a lot - "Nice one!" and "Gorgeous!" and "Stunning!" I tend to run out of superlatives. I only post on photos I like, where I truly admire the image.

What I didn't expect was to be motivated and inspired by the work I've seen here. My K10D died last year, and I can't get it fixed (they don't make circuit boards for that model anymore). Also, given the fact that megapixel size has marched on and my cell phone camera has more megapixels than the K10D, I feel it's the right time to upgrade.

I've been shooting film lately, with my trusty K-1000. I'm thinking in pictures again. I've been away a long time; not just in terms of picking up the camera, but in terms of actually wanting to create art. I've dealt with some serious emotional and health issues, and finally, the fog is lifting, and I really want to get out there and make images.

So, I want to thank you for posting your excellent work here.

07-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I'm intent on winning a K-1. Preferably, this month, but if not, then next month.

I've been posting about the photos here. I know I repeat myself a lot - "Nice one!" and "Gorgeous!" and "Stunning!" I tend to run out of superlatives. I only post on photos I like, where I truly admire the image.

What I didn't expect was to be motivated and inspired by the work I've seen here. My K10D died last year, and I can't get it fixed (they don't make circuit boards for that model anymore). Also, given the fact that megapixel size has marched on and my cell phone camera has more megapixels than the K10D, I feel it's the right time to upgrade.

I've been shooting film lately, with my trusty K-1000. I'm thinking in pictures again. I've been away a long time; not just in terms of picking up the camera, but in terms of actually wanting to create art. I've dealt with some serious emotional and health issues, and finally, the fog is lifting, and I really want to get out there and make images.

Very kind words! I hope you can find some release through photography. I often times find myself driving down the road, seeing an abandoned building on in a field, and framing a picture in my mind before I even know what is happening. I know exactly what you mean by "thinking in pictures"!
07-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great to hear that things are improving for you and that you're feeling inspired to get out again with your camera.
07-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a great forum, very helpful and informative. Plus, we get to look at pretty pictures.

I went from K10D to K5D to K3II. Good moves all, and I still use the K5. Don't be afraid to buy used to save some money.

07-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

Photos: Albums

Seeing other peopleís work can be very inspiring. When I first got back into photography after a very long hiatus, I spent time every day looking at photos and really examining my own reactions. Closey looking at what characteristics of an image moved me and why made me an infinitely better photographer day by day. Participating in prizeless photo contests two to three times a week for a couple of years accelerated that process even more so.

Creating art - particularly for just yourself - is very therapeutic. Donít let yourself get caught in the megapixels race, either. The quality of the rendering of the image and the sensitivity of the sensor on a camera is more important than the pixel count. I have large prints from my original *ist DL that my cell phone camera still would struggle to reproduce for various reasons - though, itís getting closet & closer every year...

Use what you have, get better gear when you can, but donít let lack of ďthe bestĒ gear stop you from taking pictures!
07-27-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you! It means a lot to read your replies.

I just thought that, since I can't get my K10D repaired, I might as well go for the Big One. Especially since they're giving away two more on this site. I also go to this city's biggest camera store and drool over the film Hasselblads, which are going for monstrously cheap prices. Hasselblads! The digital ones, of course, cost as much as the film ones used to cost.

I also found a mouth-watering set some months back. A Pentax medium-format with a few lenses and, I think, a flash unit. The total price was considerably less than a K-1. I didn't buy it. I just stood and admired it in the window.

I bought a roll of Rollei infrared film some months ago. It's still in the fridge. When I was trying to load it into my camera, I inadvertently wound it all the way into the cartridge. I've tried teasing it out, but to no avail. I can take it downtown to the aforementioned camera store, where they have a tool for that, but it's so hot these days that I don't want to risk damaging it. Does anyone know a good way to get it out without taking it anywhere? I know I can buy that specific tool, but since I still don't shoot film that often, it would be better to find another way to do it.
07-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! It means a lot to read your replies.

I just thought that, since I can't get my K10D repaired, I might as well go for the Big One.
There are good arguments for a K1, for sure. Even I'm considering it though none of my work would REALLY benefit, being macro and tele.
07-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know a good way to get it out without taking it anywhere? I know I can buy that specific tool, but since I still don't shoot film that often, it would be better to find another way to do it.
There are instructions online, I think involving a piece of stiff paper and some tape.

07-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

I bought a roll of Rollei infrared film some months ago. It's still in the fridge. When I was trying to load it into my camera, I inadvertently wound it all the way into the cartridge. I've tried teasing it out, but to no avail. I can take it downtown to the aforementioned camera store, where they have a tool for that, but it's so hot these days that I don't want to risk damaging it. Does anyone know a good way to get it out without taking it anywhere? I know I can buy that specific tool, but since I still don't shoot film that often, it would be better to find another way to do it.
Here's a YouTube video that demonstrates how to retrieve a film leader without needing to buy a special tool.

Dennis
07-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't even particularly want a K-1, it doesn't really fit my style of shooting. I'll be here trying to win just the same...
07-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #11

I'm in the same boat with you (not the equipment issue, but emotionally). It's a real joy to come back into a work you are passionate about after a long hiatus. I'm also "thinking in photos" again, thanks for sharing.
07-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I rented a darkroom some months ago and processed two rolls of b/w. It was a surprise to see how quickly it all came back to me. So much fun. I'm going to print a few in a while, but right now, I'm just enjoying the feel of going out there with a camera and taking shots. Oh, and my Pentax V spotmeter still works as well as it ever did. I just bought new batteries.