Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

CMOS Creator's Quanta Image Sensor (QIS)

The creator of the CMOS image sensor technology, Eric R. Fossum, is leading the research and development of a new imaging technology at Dartmouth college, in which the sensor can count down to a single photon at a very high frame rate. It has huge potential for low-light imaging, but also for greatly increasing the abilities of your typical camera's imaging performance and capabilities. It is called Quanta Image Sensor or QIS

You can find the video here:

This could be the breakthrough needed for EVF technology to become a viable replacement to needing an optical viewfinder (lowlight capabilities, and very high framerate). Perhaps Pentax could pick this up in the future, which I think would completely outdo any CMOS technologies we currently have, mirrorless or otherwise. But putting aside the old MILC vs ILC, I'm really excited about this new turn in imaging quality and would love to see this make its way into mainstream cameras, much like CMOS did a few decades ago.

Thoughts?

07-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #2

This looks very promising in deed, and I particularly like the way they are designing it to be mass produced and scalable right from the start. I would really like to see this in cameras, but I note that there's no timeframe indicated for non-lab applications.
07-29-2018, 01:41 AM   #3

Seems intriguing, but some unknown time in the future...put it on the 'road map'!
07-29-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very informative presentation with a nice history lesson also.

07-29-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the size of research budgets these days, i am not sure if the invention of the cmos sensor can be attributed to a single person. Cmos sensors existed long ago. My brother think i've invented the nokia phone due to having been a contributor to the desin of one of the chips that made it into one of their mobile phone models.
07-29-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #6

I liked the Q&A part because he was really struggling to answer some of those. One of the questions asked was on my mind as well, regarding how this would translate to capturing colour.

Another thing I ask myself... how does the wave-particle duality of light play into this (if at all)... will it pose some more challenges or could it even be used to make things easier?
07-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great questions, ehrwien. I've also wondered about the wave/particle duality of light. It would be great to see a fundamentally new way of detecting color in sensors. Like detecting the wavelength, or energy level of a photon to determine its color, rather than a Bayer filter.

Or maybe the answer is to make Bayer filters so small, on an atomic level, such that for all practical purposes it makes each pixel of the sensor responsive to all wavelengths. Nano-engineering then. All really interesting developments to think and read about.