Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 03:17 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
People using guns as props during selfies. Here's one barely a week ago Update: Conroe Police say teen allegedly shot dead while playing with gun - Houston Chronicle
When I was in grad school, a guy taking a film class recruited a bunch of us for his final project. The film involved my being shot ... so he had both of us inspect the gun just before we filmed that scene.

08-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This guy was one of the lucky ones and lived:

Fall from North Okanagan waterfall prompts warning about dangerous selfies - InfoNews

These three travel bloggers did not, though there is no proof they were taking selfies at the time:

Three video bloggers dead after accident at Shannon Falls | Vancouver Sun

Phil.
08-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #48
pxt

When I saw man who went directly in street bulb lamp I don't have question here.
10-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Another two . An Indian (from India) couple at Yosemite. Very sad.

It illustrates the bubble that people are in when they're setting up one of these shots.

10-30-2018, 11:21 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Another two . An Indian (from India) couple at Yosemite. Very sad.

It illustrates the bubble that people are in when they're setting up one of these shots.
They apparently had close calls during prior selfies. I saw quotes earlier, paraphrasing, "in hindsight it was dangerous to stand so close to the edge".

Be careful, everyone. It's easy to get distracted and ignore warning signs when you are concentrating on getting a photo, whether it's a selfie, landscape, or urbex.
10-31-2018, 04:15 AM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

They apparently had close calls during prior selfies. I saw quotes earlier, paraphrasing, "in hindsight it was dangerous to stand so close to the edge".

Be careful, everyone. It's easy to get distracted and ignore warning signs when you are concentrating on getting a photo, whether it's a selfie, landscape, or urbex.
the edge of any natural drop off can be quite fragile and subject to breaking at any time without warning,

loose stone/gravel is unsteady footing and can cause one to loose balance, as I learned myself, at Yellowstone.

add to that fact that winds can affect you, as I think that couple were quoted about surviving that danger at the Grand Canyon.

BTW, these dangers are not limited to taking selfies ( I was just moving to a different location when I fell and slid toward the cliff face in Yellowstone )

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-31-2018 at 04:24 AM.
10-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I was in grad school, a guy taking a film class recruited a bunch of us for his final project. The film involved my being shot ... so he had both of us inspect the gun just before we filmed that scene.
people do not realize that even when using a " blank " cartridge, containing primer, powder, and wadding, the weapon must expel hot gases and the wadding with sufficient force to kill if handled improperly.

I read about an actor who was killed when putting a pistol loaded with a " blank " to his head, laughing and the gases and wadding broke his skull when he fired the pistol

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-31-2018 at 07:12 AM.
10-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is not just selfies. Once my father stepped backwards off a boat when trying to widen the view of a group photo. He could swim, but I don't know about the camera. Remembering that, I have a rule that I never move my feet while my eye is at the viewfinder.

@DeadJohn - with a name like that, are you writing from experience?
10-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I previously in the thread talked about theadvice the Rangers give at the Grand Canyon. It's easy to lose track of where you are on an edge. I've nearly fallen in my father in laws pool while cleaning in more than once.

On a humorous note, my 50lb dog who isn't often over at my father in laws house was with me one day while I was working on his pool. She was trying to walk around as obstacle and simply misjudged and went in. It was the deep end and while she was swimming she's over 11 years old and looked wide eyed. I coaxed her out of the shallow end since I wanted her to know where she could get out of she ever feel in again. But the look she gave me was priceless.

The point I'm trying to make is that edges can be treacherous even without the hubris of selfies. I'm sad this couple died, it seems a waste. But ultimately I am more sympathetic knowing how easy it is to mistake your position for safe. I'm a mountain goat with good balance but I'm also very aware of potential danger and I try to stay safe. Part of this is learned, I was more reckless in my youth.
10-31-2018, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
...@DeadJohn - with a name like that, are you writing from experience?
It's a reference to my mediocre skills at first-person-shooter video games.
10-31-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
The person who got burned probably fell in to a hot pool at Yellowstone?
many people over the years have broken through the thin crust covering the dangerous thermal areas in Yellowstone

stay off it

especially if there are warning signs

and then you have a few that wanted the experience of a " natural " hot tub and either die or are terribly burned as a result
10-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a reference to my mediocre skills at first-person-shooter video games.
There's a mystery cleared up.
10-31-2018, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #58
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There's a mystery cleared up.
hmm

given the time of year, I thought those posts by Dead John were from another " place "