Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Drowning as number one surprises me. I'd have flipped the first two if asked to guess. Also surprised animal isn't higher on the list.

But I don't think I have much to worry about. Not only has the thought never occurred to me, but from what I've seen, they don't make a stick strong enough for a K-1 with the new DFA* 50.

07-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like a military pilot saying, "Hey, watch this!" I think these numbers may be on the low side since in 2014 alone in the US there were 33,000 injuries while taking or editing selfies. Since these are reported deaths, I bet the numbers are actually much higher.
07-30-2018, 07:02 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If this thread saves even a single Pentax Forum member from taking a selfie, it's worth it.
07-30-2018, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
If this thread saves even a single Pentax Forum member from taking a selfie, it's worth it.
Hi Neuse River Sailor

I wouldn't worry too much selfies and Pentax owners are poles apart........,...Mostly .........

Dave

07-30-2018, 08:32 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
...in 2014 alone in the US there were 33,000 injuries while taking or editing selfies...
EDITING??? I COULD DIE WHILE EDITING MY PICTURES???? I'm shooting SOOC JPG's from here on out. (LOL)
07-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Drowning as number one surprises me. I'd have flipped the first two if asked to guess. Also surprised animal isn't higher on the list.

But I don't think I have much to worry about. Not only has the thought never occurred to me, but from what I've seen, they don't make a stick strong enough for a K-1 with the new DFA* 50.
I'm surprised that motor vehicle crash isn't higher. Selfie while driving, or selfie while standing too close to moving traffic. Then I checked the data "Incidence of selfie-related deaths published in media". Unusual things are more likely to be reported. Motor vehicle deaths are so common that one more isn't newsworthy, unless it's someone famous or multiple deaths. Also, the cause of many car crashes isn't immediately obvious and by the time investigation is done it's old news that doesn't get re-reported.

Drowning includes ocean, river, pool, and bathtub mishaps. Water is fun yet unforgiving.

P.S. Not photography-related, but in the USA more people die falling from bed than from buildings.
07-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I know of 3 shooting and a beating never reported in New orleans. I was one and I saw or heard the others.

07-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm surprised that motor vehicle crash isn't higher. Selfie while driving, or selfie while standing too close to moving traffic. Then I checked the data "Incidence of selfie-related deaths published in media". Unusual things are more likely to be reported. Motor vehicle deaths are so common that one more isn't newsworthy, unless it's someone famous or multiple deaths. Also, the cause of many car crashes isn't immediately obvious and by the time investigation is done it's old news that doesn't get re-reported.

Drowning includes ocean, river, pool, and bathtub mishaps. Water is fun yet unforgiving.

P.S. Not photography-related, but in the USA more people die falling from bed than from buildings.
I didn't fall. I was pushed!

(Apparently that wasn't the best time for a selfie.....)

Last edited by gifthorse; 07-30-2018 at 10:07 PM.
07-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I know of 3 shooting and a beating never reported in New orleans. I was one and I saw or heard the others.
And these involved selfie's? (Just kidding)
07-31-2018, 12:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The stats appear to be incidents which occurred in Turkey.
07-31-2018, 12:45 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
The stats appear to be incidents which occurred in Turkey.
No, I think they were international stats, just reported in a Turkish journal.

07-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

And here I thought the biggest danger of too many selfies was going blind!

From the flash of course, that's why I always wear appropriate protection for my selfies.
07-31-2018, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So many questions about the reasons on the left hand side of the graph!
Yes - gunshot is an interesting one

Stupid encounters with wild animals. Sometimes people see the animal and approach too close
Wide angle lenses have a lot to answer for there, I think
07-31-2018, 03:20 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting cause of death on a death certificate, "Dangerous Selfie." The issue clearly isn't the selfie, it is the desire to go into a dangerous situation (waterfall, cliff, etc) and then take your own photo. While taking the photo may increase the risk of the situation, clearly the question is more whether people are more prone to go into danger because of selfie culture. I don't know the answer to that.

Personally, I don't do selfies, but I don't think they are inherently dangerous either.
07-31-2018, 04:09 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people take glee in the deaths of strangers.
Hi DeadJohn
Care to tell us how you came to a sticky end ?