Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 04:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interesting cause of death on a death certificate, "Dangerous Selfie." The issue clearly isn't the selfie, it is the desire to go into a dangerous situation (waterfall, cliff, etc) and then take your own photo. While taking the photo may increase the risk of the situation, clearly the question is more whether people are more prone to go into danger because of selfie culture. I don't know the answer to that.

Personally, I don't do selfies, but I don't think they are inherently dangerous either.
In my opinion the answer is yes, many people take far greater risks because of the selfie than they would otherwise.
Don't get me wrong I often see people when I am in the mountains who clearly don't belong there, independent from the selfie culture.
But when you are at a cliff or a mountain ridge enjoying the view it is not that dangerous as you might think, as long as you are aware of your surroundings (assuming it's a structural stable area), even going close to the edge is depending on the area a calculated risk you can take, but turning your back to the abyss and leaning backwards so your selfie will look better is plain stupidity directly related to the selfie.

Last edited by othar; 07-31-2018 at 04:31 AM.
07-31-2018, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seen on many railway stations in Japan ... smartphone picture
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1039  Photo 
07-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yes - gunshot is an interesting one
"Nice phone you got there". Bang Bang takes phone. changes security settings while you are dying. Saves $40 to unlock phone at flea-market.
07-31-2018, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Not surprised, India tops the list. There are many places in our country where selfies are banned. Went on a photography trek last weekend, at one of the highest scenic points, saw a group of teens (below 16) taking a selfie, where one boy is sitting on a iron fence while two are standing taking selfie. And you know, that is called suicide point on the hills. if that weak iron fence gives up, it is literally a free fall of over 150 metres to ground. Last, but not the least, it is raining at that time..

07-31-2018, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
"Nice phone you got there". Bang Bang takes phone. changes security settings while you are dying. Saves $40 to unlock phone at flea-market.
While not a total unlikely scenario, I suspect those deaths wouldn't qualifiy for the selfie statistic.
I think some might think it looks cool to hold your empty gun to your head when taking the picture and the bullet simply travels faster than the realisation that the gun wasn't unloaded.

Last edited by othar; 07-31-2018 at 05:23 AM.
07-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
In my opinion the answer is yes, many people take far greater risks because of the selfie than they would otherwise.
Don't get me wrong I often see people when I am in the mountains who clearly don't belong there, independent from the selfie culture.
But when you are at a cliff or a mountain ridge enjoying the view it is not that dangerous as you might think, as long as you are aware of your surroundings (assuming it's a structural stable area), even going close to the edge is depending on the area a calculated risk you can take, but turning your back to the abyss and leaning backwards so your selfie will look better is plain stupidity directly related to the selfie.
I attended a talk at the Grand Canyon and during the talk they talked about who dies there; mostly male, mostly in their 20's, most of them pretending to fall as they take a selfie. How do they know, they look at the cameras (at the time smartphones were not as popular as now).

The advice they gave small children with young parents. Hold your parents hands, keep them safe. Typically kids don't die here (at that time it had been over 100 years since a child under the age of 12? maybe 16? had fallen. The kids are too smart to be that stupid.
07-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Overconfidence can be deadly. Fear, in moderate amounts, protects us.

07-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Overconfidence can be deadly. Fear, in moderate amounts, protects us.
Stress is a good motivator and fear is just another stressor. Agreed.
07-31-2018, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
While not a total unlikely scenario, I suspect those deaths wouldn't qualifiy for the selfie statistic.
I think some might think it looks cool to hold your empty gun to your head when taking the picture and the bullet simply travels faster than the realisation that the gun wasn't unloaded.
I think a wife discovering the selfie of her husband and his mistress could lead to an addition to that gunshot stat months after the picture was taken!
07-31-2018, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8 by gunshot! Where are they taking these selfies?!?!

"Here's me by the Bank. Oh look there's a guy in a mask running out! Let's see if I can get one with him! Excuse me sir..."
07-31-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
If this thread saves even a single Pentax Forum member from taking a selfie, it's worth it.
Nice.
07-31-2018, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
8 by gunshot! Where are they taking these selfies?!?!
"Here's me by the Bank. Oh look there's a guy in a mask running out! Let's see if I can get one with him! Excuse me sir..."
People using guns as props during selfies. Here's one barely a week ago Update: Conroe Police say teen allegedly shot dead while playing with gun - Houston Chronicle
07-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I'm afraid this is simply natural selection hard at work culling the stupid.
08-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
Pentaxian

The person who got burned probably fell in to a hot pool at Yellowstone?
08-10-2018, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member