Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Maybe you'r right. Instead of a camera and tripod, I should use the scanner.
Of course Dad is 93 and not technologically armed. When the family has a gathering soon, and everyone wants to share Dad's Photos I can just take my scanner. And tower computer, and monitor and keyboard. With wiring and other stuff.
The scanner/printer, by the way, is a POS HP that is messing with my computer because I refused to be blackmailed over whose brand of ink I use.
I'll save that discussion for another forum.
The table we were were going to use for a buffet could be used instead as a makeshift computer center.

08-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why do all this complication - the designers of a good photo scanner, including many flatbed scanners, have already done all of it.
Quick reply - because I have photographed daguerreotypes and collodion photographs - I've also been asked to photograph irreplaceable photographs which can't come out of their frames for archival purposes, not to mention books, paintings, collages and other 3d objects. Sometimes you get stuck with really bloody awkward processes - especially when you can't use a scanner.

I'm not saying it is the only way of doing things - I did recommend a flatbed scanner as an afterthought in my original post - it is definitely the best way for most people to do this especially with non-precious photos or flat documents (I have used scanners to good effect in the past).

The OP mentioned they don't have a polariser (let alone three which you need for this sort of stuff), and that the scanner idea isn't convenient - hence my suggestion above.

---------- Post added 08-06-18 at 11:05 PM ----------

Kurt - yes, a scanner would most probably be far far easier - try to get (or borrow) a canoscan LIDE scanner and a laptop as a base version - far cheaper, easier, and less of a headache than setting up a tower with a (potentially sub average) all in one printer.

Definitely easier than setting up an overhead photo rig.
08-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I appreciate your thoughts on the topic, and as I mentioned earlier, I still may take my desktop over there.
08-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine is currently doing over 30,000 family photos. His family has been photo nuts for generations. His "scanner" is an older Canon Rebel DSLR with an older canon macro lens on it. He has it set up on a light stand and it is tethered to his computer running Lightroom. He can front light or back light as needed. He "scans" prints, negatives and slides using this setup. He even built custom curves for the color negative films from various manufacturers. He takes the shot, makes quick corrections and saves the photos in the proper folder. Most take less than 5 seconds per shot once he gets set up and running.

He even designed custom film holders to speed things up and had a local machine shop make them for him. Very slick setup. He gets the pleasure of seeing generations of family members going back over 100 years.

08-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should know by now that things don't always go as planned. And I tried to use the scanner for an easy way out.
But upon closer inspection, the photos were glued to the backing board and would not fit in the scanner.
Sill things didn't turn out too badly.
Dad is the oldest of 3 boys, now 93.
And the rest of the family looks good until I got to my Great Grandmother.
I can't get it out of my head that she reminds me of Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke.
Prints were distributed with much appreciation.
Thanks all for the help.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
08-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
pxt

Rare solution is handheld photo scanner.
08-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographing with a camera and polarizing the lights and lens would eliminate all of the silvering you see along the edges of those prints.