Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I was at Niagara Falls recently and saw a number of people climb up on the low fence/wall thing right beside the Falls to take selfies. Usually (but not exclusively) young men. There is lots of prominent signage warning people not to do that. Not something I would do. Go figure.

08-01-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem is a lack of common respect. We had a situation in the town where I grew up that ended in fishing being banned from a spot where it was allowed for years. Because all of a sudden everyone and their mothers started showing up. They setup their chairs on the sidewalk so nobody was able to walk on the sidewalk. And as if that was not enough they started leaving all the scraps left over from their bait just sitting there along with the guts from cleaning the fish that they caught. Not everybody did this but enough where the town felt the only option was to ban fishing entirely. This is the fault of my generation that chose not to teach their children respect

I do not like to go anywhere that may have large crowds of people any more. Just because it only takes a couple of people to ruin it for everyone. And it also seems like I see some completely unacceptable behavior whenever I go to a large event.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Not sure where all the talk of trespassing comes from. They advertised to photographers to come walk on their land for an admission fee. Their issues arrived when they failed to employ enough staff to collect the fees, so some people didn't (or looking from the visitors' viewpoint - couldn't) pay. To be too busy to be able to get around to collect all of the admission fees is a very first world problem indeed.

Rather than step up their game, employ more staff and improve their processes, they spat their dummy and closed for good. Fine...their loss.
First they shutdown when they realized that they could not meet the demand. This is their right as the property owner. Then people decided that would not stop them. When you go somewhere that charges a fee to enter the property and you do not pay that fee and enter the property you are trespassing. You are not allowed or entitled to go on private property without the owners permission. The owner closing the property is expressly saying no trespassing.

The proper thing to have done is to stand in line and wait your turn (Think Disney World or a Ball Game). If that is not acceptable then leave. Personally I wish they would bring back the laws where it is acceptable to shoot trespassers.

Because it's your way of thinking that is the main problem in this world today. No respect for anyone or anything.
08-01-2018, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where as i go and take pictures of the crowds.
I hate crowds. The most crowded place I go specifically to take pictures is where this picture was taken:

And there there are some people taking photos at sunset with their phones but none of them stay very long. Most of the people at that park are potheads who sit in their car and get high as a kite. In the 3 times I have gone only once have I seen another serious or semi serious photographer up there who like myself hung around and waited for the river to change color after sunset in the waning moments of light.

Most of the other places I go at the times I go I will very likely be the only person there. Some times I run into a pro photographer out there who is surprised that someone else has found out about that spot, other times I am so far off the beaten path that I know I am the only one out there.
08-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I never was much of a people photographer!
People are what make a photo different. They inject life into what otherwise would be a boring and sterile scene.

08-01-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I was at Niagara Falls recently and saw a number of people climb up on the low fence/wall thing right beside the Falls to take selfies. Usually (but not exclusively) young men. There is lots of prominent signage warning people not to do that. Not something I would do. Go figure.
This is not new - just more common.

In 1982 we were in The Badlands of South Dakota {close to the Black Hills} when we saw a Dad insist that his sobbing pre-teen daughter climb past a large "No trespassing" sign onto a dangerous-looking pile of rocks because he thought it would make a cool photo. Later, on the same trip we saw parents herding their kids past "do not walk on the tundra" signs for a perfect photo.

In 1985, at the Yellowstone NP entrance we were handed florescent-colored notices about the dangers of getting too close to bison. Before we got to our campground, he were stopped by a traffic jam; a mother bison was watching on the side of the road, while mother people were lining their kids up so daddy person could take a photo of his chid(ren) with the child bison standing in the middle of the road.
08-01-2018, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
People are what make a photo different. They inject life into what otherwise would be a boring and sterile scene.
I've seen many a boring and sterile people-filled scene (including some of my own); and, conversely, many a moody, mysterious, grand or strange empty land or cityscape (including some of my own).
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are other ways of doing that. A swirl of mist, storm lighting, a bird of prey glaring back at the photographer and a curious fox cub being a few examples.

08-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
There are other ways of doing that. A swirl of mist, storm lighting, a bird of prey glaring back at the photographer and a curious fox cub being a few examples.
And those are so easy to schedule.
I don't have the luxury of several days at each location.
08-01-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those things don't all happen every day, but on most days something interesting happens. You just wouldn't want to have social media crowds invading the frame..
08-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

TMindless mass narcism trying to get the perfect selfie.
The perfect selfie being: the "me too!" selfie, I guess.
08-01-2018, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The question that came to my mind is, "Would it have been us back in the 1950s if we had today's toys rather than the 8-photo Brownie and a party line?"

I am afraid I wouldn't like the answer.
08-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #27
Pentaxian

The big hoards of people in front of the Mona Lisa kinda made feel overwhelmed. I guess people just gotta have proof they were there to show everyone on their social media or whatever
08-01-2018, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The world is teeming with forms of life besides people. Some of us find those other forms more interesting. Chacun son goût

I'd add one other reflection arising from the sunflower story. I grew up and lived in a big city for most of my life, and now live in a quiet rural area. I'd say there's more disconnect now between the city and the country. When I was a kid, most kids I knew often visited relatives living in the country (as I did) or otherwise spent holidays in the country. Many had a parent who had grown up in the country (both of mine did). I think that connection has waned a lot. There are kids who don't know where eggs or milk come from. The bush, if it's in their consciousness at all, is either a place to be afraid of or a place to be entertained. Photo ops are just a form of entertainment for many people. I can easily imagine that many people would just see a farm as another place of entertainment, and another experience to be consumed. For someone imbued with that perspective, without any real attachment to any place and little connection to the natural world at all, it would be hard to see a farm, or other rural area, from the perspective of someone who lives there - that is, a place that they are connected to in a deep sense, as well as their workplace and their livelihood, and a home for their soul.

Last edited by Des; 08-01-2018 at 04:12 PM.
08-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
Forum Member

If a bank offers $25 if you open an account and don't have enough staff to accommodate people who want to take advantage, is it OK to just walk in and take the $25 from a till? Are you an anarchist?
I'm an anarchist and I wouldn't support that kind of behavior. Personal responsibility, self ownership, self management, and a respect for other people's property are paramount to a healthy society. If I were the farm owner, I'd have released a pack of raccoons into the fields... city folk are really scared of raccoons.
08-01-2018, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
I'd have released a pack of raccoons into the fields... city folk are really scared of raccoons
From what I have heard a legion of New York city rats would have been even more effective.