Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The selfie crowd goes wild, and destructive.

The sociological issues around this are definitely worthy of study. Mindless mass narcism trying to get the perfect selfie.

?We?re closed forever!?: How the search for the perfect selfie led to bedlam at an Ontario sunflower farm - The Globe and Mail

08-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup. No surprises here. The selfie crowd and shoot everything on an iPhone crowd make me crazy.
08-01-2018, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
08-01-2018, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heh I guess I'm too old, wouldn't walk on someone's property without permission, and I never leave anything behind. Even if "that shot" is waiting, some decency is required in my little world.

08-01-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, pretty amazing … but not surprising. Most of the major viewpoints in our National Parks are similarly overrun -- it's not fun going back to some of the places I used to visit regularly 20 and 30 years ago, especially in the western states. Geez, I don't feel any older but I am catching myself more and more saying things like -- "I remember when you could …" and "that used to cost …" …..
08-01-2018, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
Heh I guess I'm too old, wouldn't walk on someone's property without permission, and I never leave anything behind. Even if "that shot" is waiting, some decency is required in my little world.
A value imposed on me in my youth when there were farmers with shotguns loaded with rock salt. Once you get hit with some of that stuff you really understand the value of respecting private property.

I find it unfathomable, that so many people are unable to understand the value of rational practice, without the threat of salt in their wounds. Their selfie is worth more than someone else's livelihood.

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2018 at 08:05 AM.
08-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally I wouldn't trespass in order to get a photograph, because of the copyright and legal ramifications.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A value imposed on me in my youth when there were farmers with shotguns loaded with rock salt.
...or crystals of citric acid.

08-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What can a man do when he's part of a crowd...
08-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Not sure where all the talk of trespassing comes from. They advertised to photographers to come walk on their land for an admission fee. Their issues arrived when they failed to employ enough staff to collect the fees, so some people didn't (or looking from the visitors' viewpoint - couldn't) pay. To be too busy to be able to get around to collect all of the admission fees is a very first world problem indeed.

Rather than step up their game, employ more staff and improve their processes, they spat their dummy and closed for good. Fine...their loss.
08-01-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Not sure where all the talk of trespassing comes from. They advertised to photographers to come walk on their land for an admission fee. Their issues arrived when they failed to employ enough staff to collect the fees, so some people didn't (or looking from the visitors' viewpoint - couldn't) pay. To be too busy to be able to get around to collect all of the admission fees is a very first world problem indeed.

Rather than step up their game, employ more staff and improve their processes, they spat their dummy and closed for good. Fine...their loss.
The article says they actually hired more staff, and the problem was a frankly ridiculous amount of people that no one could have foreseen. It's a sunflowers farm, come on! There's thousands of them!

This whole thing reminds me of "the most photographed barn in America" in Don DeLillo's White Noise...
08-01-2018, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reminds me of the crowds that form 1km lineups at the entrance gates, fill the parking lots, park on the main highway and pack the trails for the fall colours in Algonquin Park at (Canadian) Thanksgiving. Except that that the Park doesn't turn anyone away and keeps collecting the entrance fees. We avoid the "peak" colours and have our own spots where the selfie crowds don't go.
08-01-2018, 09:10 AM - 6 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Reminds me of the crowds that form 1km lineups at the entrance gates, fill the parking lots, park on the main highway and pack the trails for the fall colours in Algonquin Park at (Canadian) Thanksgiving. Except that that the Park doesn't turn anyone away and keeps collecting the entrance fees. We avoid the "peak" colours and have our own spots where the selfie crowds don't go.
Where as i go and take pictures of the crowds.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote

So trespass is fine with your as long as the owners of the property are in your words incompetent?

You do know trespass (in Canada) means going on someone else's property and causing damage without permission. If you didn't obtain permission, by paying the admission fee, and you cause damage to the feilds which they did, that's criminal trespass. If I were you I'd quit blaming the land owners and ask myself why I support criminal activity.

If a bank offers $25 if you open an account and don't have enough staff to accommodate people who want to take advantage, is it OK to just walk in and take the $25 from a till? Are you an anarchist?

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2018 at 09:19 AM.
08-01-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where as i go and take pictures of the crowds.
I never was much of a people photographer!
08-01-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Stampeding on a farm is bad. Large crowds damage crops.

The farm advertised "come here to take your photo" (I'm paraphrasing). That went okay for 3 years, then one weekend they had an unpredictable swarm of visitors. They did the best they could to manage an overwhelming situation. They were under no obligation to accommodate late-arrivers after capacity was exceeded.

Farm tourism is a big thing east of me. A lavender farm did something similar. I think they were charging $20 per visitor and still had sell out crowds. A winery had their permits pulled because drunk guests were having sex in the fields, and there were videos - that was happening most weekends, not an isolated event.

I admit to trespassing on public or abandoned property, but only when I've done research and there's not a horde of people around to follow my lead. Crowds behave poorly. One person does something a little wrong, then the next person thinks it's acceptable behavior and does something even worse, etc.
08-01-2018, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
*snip*

Farm tourism is a big thing east of me. A lavender farm did something similar. I think they were charging $20 per visitor and still had sell out crowds. A winery had their permits pulled because drunk guests were having sex in the fields, and there were videos - that was happening most weekends, not an isolated event.

*snip*
20 bucks, that's crazy... just come to my field then... I'll be happy with 5€/person, I'll even make discounts for groups of 10+, and I'll give you the tour myself

Trespassing is a criminal offense in Italy, punishable with jail time from 6 months up to 5 years.