Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is an odd phenomenon. Why would anyone want to take photographs, with cell phones at that, of something rather common that hundreds of other people are photographing at the same time?

08-01-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mike, it's all about the likes on social media, always been about gaining more attention on social media.
08-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
From what I have heard a legion of New York city rats would have been even more effective.
Possibly a legion of anything, except maybe kittens. But even then!
08-01-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
The question that came to my mind is, "Would it have been us back in the 1950s if we had today's toys rather than the 8-photo Brownie and a party line?"I am afraid I wouldn't like the answer.
Thank you for not being part of the "my generation is better than yours" crowd. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added 08-02-18 at 12:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
...Personally I wish they would bring back the laws where it is acceptable to shoot trespassers....
There are countries where killing others for minor transgressions is acceptable. They tend to not be nice places.

08-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
Heh I guess I'm too old, wouldn't walk on someone's property without permission, and I never leave anything behind. Even if "that shot" is waiting, some decency is required in my little world.
Amen to that.
08-02-2018, 03:00 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is pretty sad. There are good people in every generation and this doesn't change that fact, but the whole selfie thing feels pretty narcissistic. I understand it, but don't really see why there is such a focus on getting attention and likes on Instagram or wherever these photos end up.

Just remember the Golden Rule, not? It has worked pretty well for a couple of thousand years when people decide to put it into practice (and probably before then too).
08-02-2018, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

Time to lay down some fresh, liquid, pig manure around the perimeter of the field. Let's see how the tourists cope in flip flops and high heels, the standard vacationer footwear when visiting fields or hiking in the woods.

Last edited by BrianR; 08-02-2018 at 05:49 PM.
08-02-2018, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Mike, it's all about the likes on social media, always been about gaining more attention on social media.
When someone invents antisocial media like Assbook or Instagroin, I'll consider joining and wasting my days and nights collecting dislikes.
08-02-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
The big hoards of people in front of the Mona Lisa
Been there, saw it at a distance behind thick bullet proof glass with security guards on either side. Then walked a litter further into that are and spent a bunch of time looking at one of the 2 instances of the da Vinci's Virgin of the Rocks with nothing but a velvet rope between it and I with an eye distance of mere inches. Didn't even bother bringing the camera. I went to enjoy the art, not to get the proof I was there. The big crowds were only around the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Liberty Leading the People, and the Venus de Milo. I also had the luxury of living in Paris at the time so I spent 2 days open to close at Le Louvre and actually take my time to see everything on display. It was only about a leisurely 10 minute walk from my apartment to the entrance and on a hot humid weekend day it was nice because it was climate controlled.

Now I want to go back.
08-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #40
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
The question that came to my mind is, "Would it have been us back in the 1950s if we had today's toys rather than the 8-photo Brownie and a party line?"I am afraid I wouldn't like the answer.
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Thank you for not being part of the "my generation is better than yours" crowd.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is pretty sad. There are good people in every generation and this doesn't change that fact, but the whole selfie thing feels pretty narcissistic.
Human foibles like vanity (of which narcissism is a particular form) and selfish indifference to others are as old as the species, but we keep finding new ways to exhibit them. And the mix of foibles just changes over time.
08-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Then walked a litter further into that are and spent a bunch of time looking at one of the 2 instances of the da Vinci's Virgin of the Rocks with nothing but a velvet rope between it and I with an eye distance of mere inches.
Haha nice I did the same thing! I also couldn't believe people were taking selfies with the piled up skulls in the catacombs, either. It seemed kinda... disrespectful.
08-03-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The really funny thing about this, at least to me, is that one of my favourite pictures of me in my youth was me in a 60s Madras shirt, when I was still too young to grow a beard in front of a field of sunflowers. I don't have access to this picture, don't know what happened to it, but 50 years later I still remember it exactly. The shirt, my smile the fence, the sunflowers.

But if I wanted a similar picture today, I'd use photoshop.

Technological trogladytes.

How long before Apple produces a filter to put you in the middle fo a field of sunflowers. Think of all the gas it would save, not to mention the hours sitting in the car.

Once again, Apple is in a position to save the world.

Last edited by normhead; 08-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.
08-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

It's not on nearly the same scale, but a sunflower farm in Manitoba has also hit the news complaining about rude people trampling through his field. These are entirely uninvited. The farmer should be allowed to go to these peoples place of work and walk across their desks with the muddiest boots he can generate. Or be allowed to jump on their beds for 10 minutes wearing said boots.

Manitoba farmer concerned by selfies sprouting in sunflower crop | CBC News
08-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On a theoretical level I understand this rush for likes. But on a human, living life level it makes no sense. Unless, of course, one finds no meaning in their actual life. Sad.
08-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I wonder how much of the selfie craze is people hoping to get internet-famous, with enough followers to generate ad income. It's a tiny fraction but some people have made a lot of money via YouTube and other social media.