Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Most used accessory or least used

I’m curious what accessories people like and don’t like.

Don’t like - I thought I’d use a beauty dish attachment for my flash but it’s big and cumbersome for outdoor portraits so I don’t even remember to bring it.
Like - I do like my flash trigger when I set up my camera on a tripod. I also like the eneloop batteries

08-07-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't like: reverse k-mount adapter - was one of the first accessories I bought to do macro - I shortly after bought a dedicated macro lens and never looked back!
Like: I like (love) my O-GPS1 unit for astro and geo-tagged images! I'm also a big fan of my Cactus V6ii..
08-07-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Gepe Pro 3-Way Accessory Shoe Mount Bubble Level 805106 B&H

I love this little shoe mount 3 way bubble level. I got it on sale for $7.99 and use all the time when setting up my tripod. For me it works better than the little bubble level that is built in the tripod, it's just to small to see.

Least used is a third party battery that last about a third of manufactures battery but it's good to keep around incase of emergencies.
08-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't like? Not sure I can think of any immediately, though I must have a few things here and there

Least used, though, is my reflector panel. It's good, and works well, but I never shoot with anyone to hold something like that in place for me, and I don't tend to carry stands around. At home, I'm more likely to use a couple of flashes, so the reflector just doesn't get used.

Like & most used? Has to be my Giottos Rocket Blower. I use it on my camera sensors and mirrors, viewfinders, port covers when I'm preparing for use in wet weather, lens mounts (and front elements prior to cleaning). It's just a great multi-purpose tool, and so much better than the cheaper models

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-07-2018 at 03:03 PM.
08-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Giottos Rocket Blower
cool! I didn't know they made blasters with one-way air flow! The cheapy one I bought just sucks the dust in and blows it back out!
08-07-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I’m curious what accessories people like and don’t like.
I'm going to go with the thread title of "Most used accessory or least used" rather than the "like and don’t like" accessory. I don't use accessories that I don"t like.

Most Used:
  1. Neck Strap and Grip Strap
  2. Lens Hood
  3. Lens Cleaning Tissue
  4. Gray Card with plain white back
  5. Polarizing Filter
  6. Quick Release Plate and Clamp
  7. Tripod
  8. Wired Shutter Release

Least Used:
  • Sensor Cleaning Stick Kit (Pentax O-ICK1)

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 08-07-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Wired Shutter Release to "Most Used List."
08-07-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
cool! I didn't know they made blasters with one-way air flow! The cheapy one I bought just sucks the dust in and blows it back out!
It's a great feature. Additionally, the natural rubber it's made from seems to be extremely long-lasting, and it can give anything from a gentle "woosh" to a full-on blast. I actually have two of them, one of which is at least eight years old now, the other maybe five or six years. Both are as good as new - no perishing, and never anything but clean (i.e. dust & debris-free) air out of the nozzles. Definitely recommended

08-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Least Used:
I was quite surprised by this...

If I'm going anywhere for more than a day, I take my O-ICK1 gel-stick with me (or, if I'm shooting my Sony gear, an Eyelead gel-stick). I wouldn't say I use it regularly, especially since I also carry my Giottos Rocket Blower, and that usually gets rid of incidental dust on the sensor... But I've used the O-ICK1 three times this year on my K-3, Samsung GX-10 and GX-1L (once each), and the Eyelead numerous times - once on my Hasselblad HV, and several times on my A7 MkII (I'm always switching between different adapters and lenses, so no surprise there )...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.
08-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does a flash count as an accessory? When taking family/event pictures I use it so much I consider it part of the standard gear

All other accessories don't see all that much use, though I did change the battery of my remote control recently so I should really start using it more again...
08-07-2018, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My most used is the Sekonic L-308S. I suppose it counts as an accessory since it doesn't come with the camera, but for me it's an essential. I really can't understand why people suffer with the hit-or-miss guesswork of through-the-lens metering when they could just have the speed and simplicity of an incident meter.
08-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Most used/least used is definitely not the same as most liked/least liked.

Most used:
Tripod - essential for product shots: mineral specimens, 3D artwork, etc.
Remote control - Same as above. However, I can't say I 'like' my remote, I merely accept it.

Least used:
I have several boxes of novel accessories that almost never get used. Filters, eyepiece attachments, battery grips,
flash attachments, novelty cleaning products, etc. In theory, I 'like' the potential of many of these products but in
practice I've taken a picture long before I can remember how a particular accessory might have been needed.
08-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m working with a definition that anything you use with or on a camera body (with the exception of lenses) is an accessory. Therefore:
  1. Most liked is my sling bag, but if that doesn’t count, it’d be my Manfrotto tripod.
  2. Least liked would be an after-market battery grip* that I bought for my K-5, whose AA-cell option never worked, and whose plastic part at fault was too flimsy to repair.

* – it was also the last one I bought, having concluded that a spare battery was easier and lighter to carry and mostly satisfied my needs for more power.
08-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Most used BG 5 battery grip
Least used Sigma Flash
08-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Most used: lots of things... 2X macro TC comes to mind, both as a TC and as a tool for macro.
Least used: UV filters?
08-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Least Used:
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I was quite surprised by this....
My "Least Used" is based on frequency of use compared to the other accessories I listed. I only need to use the Sensor Cleaning Stick Kit approximately every three to four weeks and sometimes less often. Usually, a few extra sensor shake Dust Removals from the camera menu and some blasts from a bulb type blower are enough to get the sensor clean.

By the way, as a result of using the Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, I have never needed to have my dSLR camera sensors professionally cleaned. It is a wonderful product and I highly recommend it.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 08-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.