Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Least used: Tripod. The light around here changes so fast that my photography is mostly about trying to capture effects of the light that might only last for a couple of seconds and will never occur in exactly the same way again. There just isn't time to be messing around with a tripod.

I use mine perhaps two or three times a year, if I'm going out specifically to try to capture something that could only be caught with a very slow shutter. But most of the time it stays at home.

08-13-2018, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I have several accesories I've never used, not even once.

A sort of stabiliser which attaches to the tripod socket and then to your belt or under a foot, the idea being that if you pull upwards you will stabilise the camera. It's for situations where a tripod/monopod can't be used, or when you don't want to carry one.

A reflector for portraits.

I'm sure there are many others which escape me, but buying accessories has to be done with care - ask yourself if you'll really use them.
08-13-2018, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure I have anything I don't like... but a lot of stuff I don't use, because:

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I have several boxes of novel accessories that almost never get used. Filters, eyepiece attachments, battery grips,
flash attachments, novelty cleaning products, etc. In theory, I 'like' the potential of many of these products but in
practice I've taken a picture long before I can remember how a particular accessory might have been needed.
Yep, added to the above I hardly ever use my flashes. I'm too lazy to ever bring them.

Most used, well I guess that would have to be the padded insert that turns any of my proper backpacks into a camera bag - one that is actually comfotable to carry. I have a modest collection of dedcated camera bags that never see the light of day. The one exception is a slingbag that sees occasional use on short outings.

One item that I like a lot, yet don't use enough, is my tripod. Again, laziness is the culprit.
08-13-2018, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Don't like? Not sure I can think of any immediately, though I must have a few things here and there

Least used, though, is my reflector panel. It's good, and works well, but I never shoot with anyone to hold something like that in place for me, and I don't tend to carry stands around. At home, I'm more likely to use a couple of flashes, so the reflector just doesn't get used.

Like & most used? Has to be my Giottos Rocket Blower. I use it on my camera sensors and mirrors, viewfinders, port covers when I'm preparing for use in wet weather, lens mounts (and front elements prior to cleaning). It's just a great multi-purpose tool, and so much better than the cheaper models
I agree with the Rocket Blower. Such a great tool and lots of air vs. small and cheap ones.

08-13-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
My most used is the Sekonic L-308S. I suppose it counts as an accessory since it doesn't come with the camera, but for me it's an essential. I really can't understand why people suffer with the hit-or-miss guesswork of through-the-lens metering when they could just have the speed and simplicity of an incident meter.
I use a Gossen Digiflash for those times you actually can and have the time to do incident light metering and for when I use manual flash.

08-13-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Most used accessory: my brain (when trying to optimize composition, juxtaposition, angles, focal length, exposure, lighting, etc. etc.).
Least used accessory: my brain! (when forgetting that I left the camera in spot-meter, 2-second delay, tungsten white balance, .....)
XD darn it! We need to get better accessories!

08-13-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Least used—Olympus VF-1 viewfinder (On Q-S1):

Tried it several times, it was just too imprecise and didn't work well with my glasses.

Most used: Altoids Smalls tin

Provides secure holding for 2 D-L168 batteries for Q with added protection from puncture or shorting of contacts. Use with a piece of thin foam to stop rattling.
OMG, I use one of the big Tic-tac boxes for my headphones and other accessories. And it's waterproof and transparent!

08-13-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Most used: Baseball cap

When the sun is low and sidelighting you can swing the brim around to block the light from your viewfinder. Once you're done viewfinding it can be used as a lens hood. And just before releasing the shutter I wave mine madly about in front of the lens to shoo away annoying insects.
08-13-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
XD darn it! We need to get better accessories!
My brain could use one of those Pentax accelerator chips to filter out noise. And I wouldn't mind better water resistance, a magnesium alloy body, and some shake reduction.

Too bad Pentax doesn't make human mark-II brains and bodies.. I'd buy one!
08-14-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most used: ext tubes, rocket blower

Least: tripod, but i keep telling myself to use it more often.
08-16-2018, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
My brain could use one of those Pentax accelerator chips to filter out noise. And I wouldn't mind better water resistance, a magnesium alloy body, and some shake reduction.

Too bad Pentax doesn't make human mark-II brains and bodies.. I'd buy one!
Yeah, too bad. Maybe in the future. Perhaps we'll swap bodies and keep the same minds eye (that was my lame attempt at a pun). Some people do swear by some performance or mind enhancing drugs, though. I guess they'll know how and if it pays of in the long run.

08-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #42
pxt

Easier it would be use tree lens camera to make 3D photos on the fly... Or make test photos with stereo camera.
08-30-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Least used: Tripod
Most used: Tripod

?

My standard 3-legged tripod is rarely used now-a-days..
It's heavy, bulky, cumbersome, awkward, draws attention, and banned in certain places...

My little Moman Mini Tripod though?! Oh man is that thing awesome!
Best $30 I have EVER spent on photography gear!

I find myself putting my camera on this tripod to change lenses, swap batteries, memory cards, cleaning, etc.
Not to mention the versatility of using it as a tripod!

I did a little review of this thing; shameless plug:
Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years! - PentaxForums.com

Seriously the best purchase!

It's amazing to have access to the camera at all angles on my desk to work on, clean, etc.
It's like a little ball-head bench vice for my camera, and it's incredible!
08-30-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Most used are camera bag and strap. I've never dropped a camera and hope to maintain that record.

Lens caps and hoods always get used. I consider those parts of the lens rather than accessories.

CPL filter, tripod, and travel charger see frequent usage, too.

Least used? Color filters I inherited with a Sears film body. I've offered them for free with no takers.