Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First steps of artificial intelligence into Photography

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 alerts users to bad photos

The Note 9 offers some basic artificial intelligence, as the Chinese competition Huawei P20 Pro.
Whether it can enhance its capabilities by itself (learning by doing) is not known yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 alerts users to bad photos - BBC News

This is a first (very small) step, as the software will only detect basic technical issues like blurry pictures, blinking persons, and such. But I guess in only a view years the software will also analyse composition.

08-09-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
This is a first (very small) step, as the software will only detect basic technical issues like blurry pictures, blinking persons, and such. But I guess in only a view years the software will also analyse composition.
Let's hope not all listen to the software then, or all pictures will look alike.
08-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to view this onset of A.I. in photography very negatively... but actually, I'm slowly warming to the idea. Not for myself, but for beginners - if they use it wisely.

We've had Auto and Scene modes on our cameras for a long time now, and there's a lot can be learned by examining the EXIF data to see what settings the camera chose for certain photos. If these A.I. notifications are used in a similar way, and they result in less-experienced photographers learning to be more careful about focus / motion capture, timing (to avoid blinkers etc.) and - eventually - compositional "no-no's", that might be a good thing.

Sadly, I suspect most people will just become increasingly reliant on the camera to do things for them. That's perfectly fine for some, but I hope others will use the technology to their learning advantage...
08-09-2018, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OH NO! something else for people spend even more excruciatingly longer time to take a cell phone shot.

08-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This technology has no appeal to me, but may be fine for who they are targeting.

Thinking of AI and photography, I find Topaz Lab's AI Clear is of much more interest:

AI Clear – Topaz Labs
08-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Whether it can enhance its capabilities by itself (learning by doing) is not known yet.
With the limited processing and power budget of a phone not likely. However if the images are being shared and processed on some cloud computing platform then it very likely could.

Yesterday I saw an article about the Note 9 on a tech site and one of the things mentioned there was that the camera will "optimize contrast and saturation to make photos pop".
08-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
pxt

Photoshop CC use something similar to AI to auto remove selected object (content aware or something like that)