Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn't this seem a wee bit overpriced

for something you could diy with a lens cap?

Pinhole "Lens"

08-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a bit pricey, but just a bit...
08-09-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Take one plastic body cap, carefully drill a very small hole in the exact centre (English "english"!) - and fire away
08-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expensive? Overpriced? It's all relative.

I would not say it's overpriced when compared to this lens.

08-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The price might be explained by the fact that it does come with the pancake body plus three interchangeable apertures: f/147 pinhole, f/56 zone plate, and f/93 zone sleeve.

(I don't know what Skink's full retail price is)
08-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The price might be explained by the fact that it does come with the pancake body plus three interchangeable apertures: f/147 pinhole, f/56 zone plate, and f/93 zone sleeve....
Looked at the linked page - can see a list of compatible bodies, but can't see any reference to a "pancake body" being included
08-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Expensive? Overpriced? It's all relative.

I would not say it's overpriced when compared to this lens.
What a shame they won't ship to Australia ,.
I was all over it otherwise

Dave
08-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #8

Well, if someone pays that price, its not overpriced. It wouldn't be worth that price to me, though.

08-09-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Looked at the linked page - can see a list of compatible bodies, but can't see any reference to a "pancake body" being included
In the very busy description it says:

Delivery Includes:
Skink Pinhole Pancake Pro Kit:
Skink Pinhole Pancake
Pinhole Aperture (0.3mm laser drilled)
Zone Plate "classic"
Zone Sieve "impressionist"
08-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
for something you could diy with a lens cap?

Pinhole "Lens"
But it qualifies for a 2 yr Square Trade Protection Plan something the Leica doesn't do
08-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's a "steel substrate" after all.
08-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It would be rather difficult to drill dozens of different sized holes with any precision as on the zone plate and zone sieve apertures that come with this kit. Not impossible but difficult.

The item linked above is the Pro Kit:

From their website https://skinkpinhole.com/wp/webshop/shop/dslr-slr/skink-pinhole-pancake-star...etro-pentax-k/
QuoteQuote:

Modular Pinhole Lens

The modular Skink Pinhole Pancake System is the ideal addition to your camera and offers new creative opportunities to the photo enthusiast. Pinhole disks, zone plates or zone sieves – also in combination with suitable filters can easily be swapped and installed between the retaining rings in the center of the Pancake lens. Depending on the desired effect, you can use your camera as a pinhole-, zone plate- or zones sieve camera.

To a high degree the installed aperture determines how your vision is creatively interpreted in rendering an image. The traditional pinhole creates relatively sharp images with exposure times ranging from a fraction of a second to several minutes.

A zone plate is made up of a patterns of radially symmetric rings, which surround a pinhole sized central zone. Alternating transparent and opaque rings allow the light to pass through which renders and image by diffraction. In comparison to pinhole, images turn out softer with a painterly, impressionists’ character. Highlight are emphasized and appear with a dreamy halo-effect, while darker areas seem to be pushed into the background. Zone plates and zone sieves also have a larger transparent area. This translates into a lower f-value and increased light sensitivity, which makes handheld photography with higher speed possible.

Skink Pinhole Pancake lenses are made of premium quality materials to satisfy highest demands in terms of design, usability and image quality.
If you can DIY all that with a lens cap more power to you!

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-10-2018 at 01:25 AM.
08-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #13
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I would not say it's overpriced when compared to this lens

I was just reaching for my credit card when I read "Does not ship to Australia:". Oh, well …..
08-10-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending on the quality it might be reasonable.
Pinholes can be made easily from any body cap, aperture value and focal length can be calculated.
The zone plate disks are another matter. They are easy enough to make DIY but can be very time consuming and if I remember right the proportionality of the clear and dark rings determines which color wavelength they are more susceptible to. Then try producing these disk small enough to fit into this pancake.

I love working with zone plates, they have a very unique glow about them. Here are a few links if anyone is inspired to try and make their own, then a couple of photos from around a 550nm plate:
Zone Plate Generator
Guillermo Peņate: How to Make a Zone Plate, Photon Sieve or Pinhole Sieve
Attached Images