Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I hope you're getting more use out of the 300/4 than I am of the 150-500...
I've been using it a lot lately mostly to get to know it and how I should best use it. I liked my old Super Takumar 300mm F/4 but that one I mostly either used at infinity, or tried, and failed, to take bird pictures with it. I bought it mostly for astro but the next time I head up to my lake property I will probably take it out and chase the loons and redwing black birds with it.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 09:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't know if there's a non-macro version. I know mine is clearly marked "Macro" Here's mine:

Sigma 300mm F4 APO Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
That is the one I have as well but it isn't labeled macro, but it is the same close focus one that gives the 1:3 magnification.

08-22-2018, 03:49 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So I finally got to do some real astrophotography with this lens. So far it seems like a good performer. I finally got a fairly clear sky last night (boo work night) and even though it was still smokey out I only lost about 1.5 stops when taking a moon picture instead of the 6.5 stops I did on saturday. This gave me hope that I might be able to capture M51. I did and while not the best (far too few exposures) I clearly captured it and things worked pretty well even wide open. Also it appears that astro tracer works just fine when going after DSOs.

18x20s
ISO 800
F/4

What is more impressive is that this was captured with a 3/4 moon from the park in my backyard which is a high 8 on the bortle scale shortly after sunset as I came in at 9:15, and with still visible haze from the smoke.