Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Did you guys see this newest Laowa Macro probe?

Revolutionize Macro Videography, Laowa 24mm f/14 Probe Lens by Venus Optics - Laowa ? Kickstarter

Thoughts? Its not coming for Pentax.

EDIT : Um, i guess it is coming for pentax. They updated their post here :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laowa/revolutionize-macro-videography-l.../posts/2256490

Last edited by D4rknezz; 08-13-2018 at 06:28 AM.
08-13-2018, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks awesome, but it's areal piece of specialty equipment. SO buy a Nikon 3500 or something if you want it. If you can pay $1300 for the lens you can pay $300 for a body.

I get tired of "not available on Pentax" whiners. Find the lens you love, buy the body that goes on it. It's pretty simple. And "the lens you love" can just as easily be from Pentax as any other company. If the lens you love isn't from Pentax, no problem, the door is right over there. Nice knowing you. Close the door not he way out please.

It's a consumer world. People make unusual items. Not every one of them is available on every camera model or mount, get used to it.

Last edited by normhead; 08-13-2018 at 06:53 AM.
08-13-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

We've had a rep from Laowa post on the forums already, letting us know that it is available for Pentax
08-13-2018, 06:42 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let's get to the bottom of this: does this mean we are eventually going to see a "got probed?" club dedicated to photos taken with this lens?

08-13-2018, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone else think that if you pay $1500 for this lens you've already been probed?
08-13-2018, 06:47 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Unregistered User

The Q 03 fish-eye offers a similar, albeit not quite as close, perspective at its close focusing distance of 25mm:

08-13-2018, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Let's get to the bottom of this: does this mean we are eventually going to see a "got probed?" club dedicated to photos taken with this lens?
Can you do your own DIY colonoscopy at home with it?

08-13-2018, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote

I know what you are saying...though turns out the lens is coming for Pentax.

Also, i do have a Nikon D800, and a Canon 5D Mark 3. Not to brag about my mistakes...if I had to start all over again I may stick with Canon only.

That said, though I understand what you are saying, I disagree. I do want lenses for Pentax. Especially specialty lenses like these. The three cameras have different colour profile, and they all behave differently - and out of all 3, the pentax is the best for me, ergonomically, and the sooc colours and feel.
Also, the most important thing is, the pentax is, to me, a workhorse. All three of these cameras are weather resistant, aluminum body, etc, but thats not all it needs to be a workhorse, to me.
The Pentax, is the lightest, smallest, most affordable one. That means, when I go on a trip, when I have to go down on my knees for macro shots, etc, when I go camping, beach, etc...i grab the Pentax. Trying to handheld a nikon D800 to get a macro shot is the most unpleasant thing to do.
I think its justified for us to want lenses on the cameras we actually want to use.

---------- Post added 08-13-2018 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Its equipped with a water proof front barrel that has LED built in right to the tip.
If thats not what you use it for, then I dont know.
08-13-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #9

This lens was noted before in an earlier thread, mainly because there was some sort of anticipated give-away associated with it.

Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens for $1? - PentaxForums.com
Weird and Fascinating lens - another interesting idea from Laowa. - PentaxForums.com
New member - PentaxForums.com

I could have used this lens last week to photograph hard to reach bog plants.
08-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This lens was noted before in an earlier thread, mainly because there was some sort of anticipated give-away associated with it.

Weird and Fascinating lens - another interesting idea from Laowa. - PentaxForums.com

I just saw these threads too If only I saw them earlier - i would prob be an early bird. At this price point i may as well wait for reviews, i guess.
08-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is so highly specialized I'm not likely to pick one up but I'm happy they elected to release for Pentax.
08-13-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #12

I don't see why they wouldn't do a K-mount. It's a full manual lens with no automation, levers or contacts. Glad they are supporting k-mount unlike The Eeyores™.
08-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm afraid it doesn't flex. But there's Pentax equipment for that, so why would you go Venus?

08-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Yes, if you look at the Kickstarter page, there was one for $1. I bet it sold in a microsecond. I read the news before it was launched, but staying awake long enough and react fast enough was the real trick here.

08-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I'm afraid it doesn't flex. But there's Pentax equipment for that, so why would you go Venus?
Because that part of Pentax was never bought back and belongs to Hoya who I hold responsible for many of the ills the brand has suffered. PENTAX Medical (Global) (see further down page for Parent Company....