Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Steadify, a tripod/monopod substitute (on Kickstarter)

Some people actually might find this useful. It won't be as stable as a tripod, but the compactness might appeal.

Steadify by Swift Tools LLC ? Kickstarter

Mostly I'm looking for reassurance that I'm not the only one who was giggling like a 14 year old at the suggestive design and much of the text and graphics.

08-13-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I've achieved much the same result by placing the base of my monopod in my belt buckle ... net cost zero ... and it does work up to a point.
08-13-2018, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I was advised to try a stand up butt rest, as in butt of a fishing rod. You wear if around your waist, fit a monopod on the camera, and rest the end of the monopod in the butt rest. Simples!
08-13-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Some people actually might find this useful. It won't be as stable as a tripod, but the compactness might appeal.

Steadify by Swift Tools LLC ? Kickstarter

Mostly I'm looking for reassurance that I'm not the only one who was giggling like a 14 year old at the suggestive design and much of the text and graphics.
Lol, "hey ladies" B-) I had to giggle, too. Keep in mind I followed the link already predisposed. XD
I have a 359-1 long lens support from Manfrotto and it's very similar. I think I can see how I could make it work like that. And it's just 83 bucks new vs. 209 and whatever "discount" the Kickstarter campaign gets you.
I really don't see this ending up in every hitchhiker's let alone every non-hiking photographers bag anytime soon. I bet it will sell for dirt cheap second hand in a few years. It really doesn't seem that convenient and versatile like a monopod with a fishing rod butt rest as mentioned or an actual tripod.

08-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick Google search turned up several similar items.
08-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple of bean bags on top of a handy fence post or wall...
08-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t see how this could work as well at pulling your arms against your body. It would take a little practice using that, but I think it would be great if you have a broken arm, etc.

08-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:

"3 axes of stabilisation...Outperforms a monopod by 2 axes"
Hmmm...what? Am I using my monopod wrong? Should I be letting it go?
08-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

Resting a table top tripod against your chest works for some people.
08-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
This would work very well at a set height . The way the monopod attaches to the belt is clever and would be great while hiking . Many years ago i used the belt gimbal type of fishing rod support and a monopod connected to the camera . This is a similar setup . The biggest downfall of this system is when tracking wildlife you need the monopod to adjust in length as you move the camera up or down . The higher you go the more the monopod comes away from the gimbal and you loose any advantage of support back to the body belt . Of course you have to adjust the length of the monopod , otherwise there is no support back to the belt and you cannot have the monopod leg lock always loose otherwise you never have support at any length . I am not sure how they have addressed this issue . This would work very well at a static support position where things are all locked at one length . Back then i bought the gimbal with great expectations for success when originally thinking about this idea but did not realize at the beginning the need for different lengths at different camera heights while tracking birds and my idea was a fail . I now use the gimbal belt for fishing and still use my tripod for photography .
Regards Anthony .
08-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manfrotto, belt pouch at B and H for under 17.00 USD. Not as high tech, but it just slips on your belt.
08-13-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
...Mostly I'm looking for reassurance that I'm not the only one who was giggling like a 14 year old at the suggestive design and much of the text and graphics.
The "quick release ball head" is optional.
08-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've used a mini tripod resting on my chest for similar effect in the past - it worked to a point, beyond that point I'm kinda wobbly myself.

The design is a wee bit odd.
08-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Manfrotto, belt pouch at B and H for under 17.00 USD. Not as high tech, but it just slips on your belt.
It's an easy solution (:Monopod Belt Pouch | 080
08-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
It's an easy solution (:Monopod Belt Pouch | 080
And it takes up little space. As long as you wear a belt and aren't in the wears suspenders crowd!