Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1364 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Then there's noob who assumes that lettering on the UV filter is the spec for the lens.

Either that or Pentax once created a "49mm Hoya lens."
Plenty of that on shopgoodwill...

05-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #407
Pentaxian

Then there's noob who assumes that lettering on the UV filter is the spec for the lens.

Amen to that
05-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
It's rounded to the nearest hundred
I agree. If a 765mm lens existed, it would be very hard to tell it apart from an 800mm by looking through a viewfinder.
05-17-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #409
Pentaxian

Then there's this little beauty :

TAMRON ADAPTALL 2 For MINOLTA Camera Lens MD 50mm 1:2 JAPAN 49mm Inc Hard Case | eBay

05-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #410
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So you're not a lady?
I won't tell you what my husband said a lady was, it would get me in trouble here but it was not a nice thing to say about any woman. I'm a woman, but I'd rather not be classed as a lady.
05-18-2019, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #411
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I won't tell you what my husband said a lady was, it would get me in trouble here but it was not a nice thing to say about any woman. I'm a woman, but I'd rather not be classed as a lady.
QuoteQuote:
The word lady is a term of respect for a woman, the equivalent of gentleman. Once used to describe only women of a high social class or status, now it may refer to any adult woman.
Can't see any other way to use the word "lady" to show anything but respect for a woman.
05-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #412
Pentaxian

M50/1.7 plus meh zoom and meh teleconverter. This assortment of lenses, along with an MX body, is worth USD500. Apparently...

Vintage film cameras Pentax | Junk Mail

05-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #413
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can't see any other way to use the word "lady" to show anything but respect for a woman.
I know it means respect to call a woman or women "Lady" but my husband had no respect for women. He bunched them all in one category and you don't want to know what that category was either, it was not nice. That's why I said I didn't want to be called a Lady because of what he thought a "Lady" was.

I sent you a PM Racer to explain what my husband thought a Lady was.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
05-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #414
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I know it means respect to call a woman or women "Lady" but my husband had no respect for women. He bunched them all in one category and you don't want to know what that category was either, it was not nice. That's why I said I didn't want to be called a Lady because of what he thought a "Lady" was.

I sent you a PM Racer to explain what my husband thought a Lady was.
Well a gentleman would never say that of a lady.
05-19-2019, 04:03 AM   #415
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well a gentleman would never say that of a lady.
I never claimed him as being a gentleman, I said my husband. He did not have a good opinion of women, no matter who they were.
05-19-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
....Thats one of the main reasons I tend to stay away from "Asahi/Pentax" labeled film gear... the prices tend to go up real high & real fast ... (e.g. K1000, even if there's a high chance of it being in need of a CLA/repair).
Prices for K1000's are not a good or typical example. They are invariably over-priced, similar to the way that old Volkswagens are overpriced, and for a similar reason - it is a cult thing. You can get a K2 (top of the K range of which the K1000 was the bottom) for significantly less than a K1000. I know, I've sold them.
05-19-2019, 05:27 AM   #417
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wanted a K1000 made in Japan, with the Asahi imprinted in the prism housing because that's what I started using when I went on to get my B.A in college. It was just a memorabilia thing to me.
05-19-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
To be fair, a lot of people use the term "zoom" to refer to a tele lens.
Early still "zoom" lenses were correctly and simply called "variable focal length" lenses. Their focus changed when you changed the focal length. The movie industry however needed to be able to zoom without changing focus, for obvious reasons, so the "zoom" lens was evolved and the idea was taken up for still cameras too. It takes some clever optical design to achieve this. Today most zoom lenses still change effective aperture when you zoom, except for the more expensive ones.

So strictly, "zoom" means the ability to change focal length and keep focus while doing so.

---------- Post added 19-05-19 at 05:49 ----------

I wanted a K1000 made in Japan, with the Asahi imprinted in the prism housing because that's what I started using when I went on to get my B.A in college. It was just a memorabilia thing to me.
I know that colleges recommended them to students where a camera was needed, and it was good advice. Sadly, Pentax (or their retailers) seemed to exploit this "captive" market and jacked the price up. I still have some price lists from around 1975 which show the K1000 costing more than an MX, even though an MX must have cost significantly more to manufacture.
05-19-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #419
Pentaxian

One of those ads where the seller doesn't specify the mount type. In this rather unique case there is a very subtle hint.

SIGMA DG LENS | Wynberg & Plumstead | Gumtree Classifieds South Africa | 498540591
05-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #420
Pentaxian

I have posted this one before. A K7 complete with film era 35-80mm zoom for the low, low price of USD725!

Unbelievable! This thing has been listed for ages. One would think a price drop would be in order but nooooo....

The worst thing is, I check the site almost daily by typing "P-e-n-t-a-x" into the search box. By default results are displayed with the newest first. Since I check regularly, I only look at the most recent ads. This turkey is now right back on my radar. Ugh...

Pentax K-7 | Inner City / CBD&Bruma | Gumtree Classifieds South Africa | 302908242