Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1364 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #736
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just look at this lot and look at the high bid. Then tell me there isn't any shill bidding on shopgoodwill...

LOT 37Lbs Film & Digital Camera & Lens - shopgoodwill.com
I have never seen camera gear being sold by the pound!

11-08-2019, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have never seen camera gear being sold by the pound!
They are telling you up front how much shipping is going to cost. In this case about $33...$36 after "handling" charges.

They also didn't want to waste 3 or 4 minutes lisiting what is in the lot...so I read it as 37 lbs of e-waste they didn't want to pay to dispose of.
11-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just look at this lot and look at the high bid. Then tell me there isn't any shill bidding on shopgoodwill...
What's shill bidding?
11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #739
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
What's shill bidding?
Someone bidding just to get the price up, who is in league with the seller, and won’t have to buy the item if they wind up highest bidder.

11-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #740
Pentaxian

Who would pay $140 for an empty box? This one smells like a dead rat. I can only think of nefarious purposes for this item.

QuoteQuote:
"Hello, insurance people. My brand new Nikon got stolen. I don't have any paperwork, but here is the box that it came in."
QuoteQuote:
"Of course I am the legitimate owner of this camera that I am selling. I don't have any paperwork, but it is still in the box."
Nikon Z6 24.5MP Digital Camera Empty Box - Strap Lens Pouch Cable Clip Included | eBay
11-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #741
Pentaxian

Who would pay $140 for an empty box? This one smells like a dead rat. I can only think of nefarious purposes for this item.

Nikon Z6 24.5MP Digital Camera Empty Box - Strap Lens Pouch Cable Clip Included | eBay
Interesting that the listing is for an empty box (which might hold a couple of bricks, one supposes ...), but the rest of the write up is for the actual camera - which, apparently, is not included. Curiouser and curiouser.
11-10-2019, 04:42 AM   #742
Pentaxian

Just how clueless can one get?

QuoteQuote:
Hasselblad Vintage Video Camera, set.
Camera has all components,
Vintage Video Camera | Krugersdorp | Gumtree Classifieds South Africa | 619131551

Hasselblad video camera? Yeah right.

All components? Except for a lens and a viewfinder, that is.

Can one even get 70mm film for all those lovely magazines any more?

And that Hasselblad body is not in high demand. I would know, I own one.

11-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #743
Pentaxian

For extra giggles, place the camera that you are selling upside down when you take a picture.

It's not even worth going out to look at the thing. The batteries, which are made out of unobtanium, are almost certainly long dead. And the seals have probably developed a light leak or two, which means that a major service would be needed.

To think that merely typing "Hasselblad" into a search engine would one tell exactly what it is...
11-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #744
Pentaxian

This Minolta lens is said to fit a Sony A7. If you have the expensive adapter, that is. Only an additional $350 and this $35 film era kit lens will autofocus and auto everything else on your Sony body!

Minolta 35-70mm vintage film camera lens *fits Sony Mirrorless Cameras* | Eastern Pretoria | Gumtree Classifieds South Africa | 583916570
11-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #745
Pentaxian

The only thing I can think of (not worth 140$) is if someone wants to resell a legit camera, misses the box, and feels that a photo item sells better, and for a better price, if all the original packaging is included.
11-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #746
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Interesting that the listing is for an empty box (which might hold a couple of bricks, one supposes ...), but the rest of the write up is for the actual camera - which, apparently, is not included. Curiouser and curiouser.
To put it on the most visible shelf in the lounge to "show-off" to the next totally "not-knowledgeable" photog through the door - if he/she asks to see the actual camera then that'll be another problem

Last edited by jeallen01; 11-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
11-11-2019, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #747
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
To put it on the most visible shelf in the lounge to "show-off" to the next totally "not-knowledgable" photog through the door - if he/she asks to see the actual camera then that'll be another problem
That's when one gets creative. "Sorry, the butler's son's nephew from Yorkshire has the camera for the next few days."
11-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The only thing I can think of (not worth 140$) is if someone wants to resell a legit camera, misses the box, and feels that a photo item sells better, and for a better price, if all the original packaging is included.
But isn't the serial number of the camera printed or bar-coded on the box? I wouldn't be surprised, given all the stickers on a typical box, but I don't know. The last new camera I bought was a K10D.

Then again, who checks the serial number on a box against the camera inside?

---------- Post added 2019-11-12 at 22:39 ----------

Just how clueless can one get?

Hasselblad video camera? Yeah right.

All components? Except for a lens and a viewfinder, that is.

Can one even get 70mm film for all those lovely magazines any more?

And that Hasselblad body is not in high demand. I would know, I own one.
Allow me to quote myself. Since making the post it occurred to me that the camera body is probably worn out. I mean, anybody shooting 70mm film did it because the job at hand requited a large number of exposures on one roll. And who needed all those 70mm magazines? Somebody whoa was on a mission to shoot lots and lots of frames. I am sure that this Hasselblad is very experienced and has led an interesting life. It is also clear that the seller knows no details of the back story.

Video camera, really? I just can't get over this seller's complete and utter lack of giving a ... hoot.

Last edited by Wasp; 11-12-2019 at 01:40 PM.
11-13-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #749
Pentaxian

But isn't the serial number of the camera printed or bar-coded on the box? I wouldn't be surprised, given all the stickers on a typical box, but I don't know. The last new camera I bought was a K10D.

Then again, who checks the serial number on a box against the camera inside?
I don't think it's printed on the box, at least for Pentax. they place the serial number card inside, in front of a window cut out of the box.

In any case, the wrong box can be better than no box. But it's not worth 140$.
11-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Let's just slip in the mercury battery corrosion in the the middle somewhere. Maybe they'll be so stunned by how insanely overprices it would be in perfect condition they won't notice".

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 1.11.03 PM.png
Views: 115
Size:  461.1 KB