Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Web site saved to favourites thanks Almighty Vanya (your new title BTW )
thanks for the title. Glad to help.

08-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #62
Forum Member

Time to take a trip.

08-16-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
Time to take a trip.
For the record, the moderating team does not recommend the use of mind-altering substances as a source of photographic inspiration.

Wait a minute... that's not what you meant, is it?
08-16-2018, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For the record, the moderating team does not recommend the use of mind-altering substances as a source of photographic inspiration.

It worked for Yoko Ono!

08-16-2018, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not recommending and not prohibiting are not the same.
08-16-2018, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I say this as someone who rarely used wide angles and thought they were only so so until I bought a DA 15 and then I learned a lot about how to see wider and compose for that perspective. It was an area I wouldn't have explored had I not gotten the lens and started exploring with it. The same can be said of the 8mm Rokinon/Samyang - I knew I had played with fisheye perspective in my youth but didn't know how to really work with their strengths and weaknesses. I know of people who went the other way - finding they loved telephoto when they hadn't really shot it much before.
I also bought a DA 15 hoping it would inspire a new kind of shooting for me, but I discovered you need to work at it. I tried mine a couple of times until the novelty wore off, now it mostly sits in my camera bag. I thought for sure it would come in useful at the Grand Canyon, but even there I didn't find much for it.
08-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #67
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I also bought a DA 15 hoping it would inspire a new kind of shooting for me, but I discovered you need to work at it. I tried mine a couple of times until the novelty wore off, now it mostly sits in my camera bag. I thought for sure it would come in useful at the Grand Canyon, but even there I didn't find much for it.
It's almost heresy to say that around these parts, Mark... but I'm going to add my agreement (to some extent)

The DA15 is a really excellent lens - however, if you're not used to shooting so wide, it takes some dedication to get used to it.

I'm a little unusual in that my preferred wide end on APS-C starts at a rather long 28mm. The DA21 snaps me out of that limitation quite frequently, and is my favourite Limited lens. But I have to push myself to use the DA15. I like it when I use it, but it's not a natural field of view for me to work with. That's on me, of course - not the lens. But I totally understand where you're coming from.

All I'd say is, give it another try and stick with it. And don't just think "landscape"... Use it up close to make nearby objects seem big compared to their backgrounds...

08-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #68
Veteran Member

A different lens is always a good choice to work on getting out of a slump I saw some suggestions for trying the Single-in or Daily challenges here on PF. Definitely a good thing to get involved with here. I've been doing one or the other pretty consistently now and if you saw my posts you would see that many are from the same 1.5 mile section of dirt road while 40% are from my kitchen. I switch up the lenses, when I get in a slump from wide to macro to fisheye to what ever.

Last edited by wstruth; 08-16-2018 at 03:00 PM.
08-16-2018, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
A different lens is always a good choice to work on getting out of a slump I saw some suggestions for trying the Single-in or Daily challenges here on PF. Definitely a good thing to get involved with here. I've been doing one or the other pretty consistently now and if you saw my posts you would see that many are from the same 1.5 mile section of dirt road while 40% are from my kitchen. I switch up the lenses, when I get in a slump from wide to macro to fisheye to what ever.
I am doing the single in with a manual 50mm lens like you say, fish eye next, then a 135mm, then a 35mm, then my 100mm macro and then.......my lovely 21mm limited
08-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The diagonal on a Pentax APSC is about 28mm (just over it) which makes that the "normal" lens in some people's eyes. (Like a 43mm for FF - not by crop factor but direct diagonal measure). @bigmackcam

That's astonishingly narrow to my mind. But once upon a time I was there too... 35 was as wide as I went on film for a long long time other than 6mm fisheye...
08-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #71
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
@bigmackcam

That's astonishingly narrow to my mind. But once upon a time I was there too... 35 was as wide as I went on film for a long long time other than 6mm fisheye...
For sure

I have plenty of wide angle options, including both modern and vintage lenses, prime and zoom - and I do shoot wider on occasion. But over time I've found that my favourite range on APS-C is (approximately) 28 to 80mm.

Hey, I never claimed to be conventional nor wise
08-16-2018, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For sure

I have plenty of wide angle options, including both modern and vintage lenses, prime and zoom - and I do shoot wider on occasion. But over time I've found that my favourite range on APS-C is (approximately) 28 to 80mm.

Hey, I never claimed to be conventional nor wise
That is not unwise. You know your favorite focal length and you know enough to know you can go past but you don't want to. Not a bad lesson. I'm a lens whore. If it fits my camera - I can be talked into making pictures with it and I'll try to make them the best I can.
08-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #73
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh yes, the one piece of kit that can get me going sometimes is the fisheye. It quite literally makes me see things in a different way

Oooh, not the app, the website
Yes, that is rather annoying. The tool that Uncle linked to is a workaround, but I still don't get why they won't provide BB links in their app.
08-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #74
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am doing the single in with a manual 50mm lens like you say, fish eye next, then a 135mm, then a 35mm, then my 100mm macro and then.......my lovely 21mm limited
Welcome to the challenge. On some months it's been a bit low on participants, so it's nice to see new faces there.
08-17-2018, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Welcome to the challenge. On some months it's been a bit low on participants, so it's nice to see new faces there.
I am loving it. I have my lens choices mapped out til Christmas and I have some prospects in the bag for today its a mileposts day