Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Grab some dice, roll them, and that's the focal length to use for the day.

I've tried different techniques, and perspectives to get out of my slumps. I'll crawl around the yard, and take pictures from the dogs point of view.
Tried light painting, playing with flashes, shooting wide open, and close focus, night shots, sun shots (homemade filter)...

Reading this forum, and looking at everyone else's pictures. I find inspiration just admiring all the great pictures found on this site.

One thing I still need to try is reversing the Helios' front element and shooting crazy bokeh with it. Step 1 for me is getting a Helios 44-...

Maybe a stop motion sequence with a few Lego people.

Set up a lens test, to compare like focal lengths( I used primes and zooms set to 50, and 135).

08-14-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A project I've played around with over the years, and want to get into more,
Re-photography:
Researching old photos of an area and try to recreate them. Find the tripod holes, figure out the time of day & year, sort out what focal length of lens was used (adjusted for format of course). Try to match the old shot as best as possible, document the way things have changed and grown. Lots of research and other non-photography related activity to make it come all together. A good long term project.
There is usually a historical society or a local museum or library that has collections of historic photos of an area. You can get access to copy them or offer to help them digitize their collection in exchange for access. You could even start with some of your own photos, if you've been doing this long enough to have images you can't quite remember how or when you took. Good way to meet other people and find out more about the community you live in.
08-14-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Grab some dice, roll them, and that's the focal length to use for the day...
My mind read ahead and I thought you were going to suggest playing Dungeons & Dragons. Games and other hobbies are a good diversion away from photography to refresh yourself.

To the OP, remember that you don't have to be creative, just enjoy the process. There are some photos that I keep retaking in similar manners hoping to get lucky with an especially colorful sunrise or sunset.
08-14-2018, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why dont you branch into a different type of photography?

08-14-2018, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "Single in" assignments can be good motivation. Additionally, there are a lot of Flickr groups that not only inspire, but offer a weekly challenge/assignment. I've joined a few to keep me shooting when I'm not feeling inspired, such as Macro Mondays and 52 PROJECT 2018, just to mention a couple. It's all fun.
08-14-2018, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its 7:30 am, its thinking about raining and I am out with my dog and this set up, taking pictures of wood! See what you have done to me!!!!
Attached Images

08-15-2018, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I find that a perusal of a good Flickr group (such as "I shoot film") often inspires me to pick up a camera and maybe even try something different. If only I had the time to do it more often.

08-15-2018, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

Go somewhere and shoot something you normally wouldn't. If you've been shooting landscape/candid/street where you are, go try a local motocross meet, an airshow, a car club meeting, the local birds of prey display, get a friend to sit for portraits....... when I get to the "oh I really can't be bothered" stage that's what I do. The challenge and the leap out of my comfort zone gets my interest - even if the shots aren't prizewinners
08-15-2018, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of great tips in this thread

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I am sort of in a 'slump' myself.

There is nothing wrong with taking a break.
Ditto. Mine has lasted for quite a while now, but my remedy is simply to leave my camera at home. Usually it feels liberating not to constantly hunt for images, as I tend to do if I have my gear with me. Then after a while I start seeing things I want to take pictures of. That's when it's time to start thinking of bringing the camera again.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The key is change what you're doing currently.
Yep, that's the only thing that can speed up getting out of the slumps for me. The hard part, of course, is to see all the possibilities there are for changing things - I'm not very imaginative (but again, lots of great suggestions in this thread). The easiest one for me is to go somewhere - it doesn't have to be very far, just find some surroundings I don't see every day.
08-15-2018, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Even if you live in a small town people in it are always going to be doing something different. Focus (sorry) on them.
08-15-2018, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I work in a small market town and I have photographed so much of it. I try to mix things up by using different lenses but I still find myself uninspired. It could just be me. What do you guys do to get yourselves out of the doldrums?
Small or big markets, we all hit a wall sometimes with inspiration and creativity. Lots of good suggestions so far.

I would add, it's often not a matter of how, where, what, or who, but when. Is there a time of day that you haven't shot? "Rush hour", 3 in the morning, sunrise, the day after Halloween, etc?

Also I would consider the "why". I usually go out to shoot with an intention or goal, but sometimes my best shots had no goals. I do not usually "spray and pray" but some of my favorite shots were from the hip, with very little regard to technique or expectations. Try less but shoot more; it's the opposite of my normal mindset, but it's refreshing.
08-15-2018, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This thread is so inspirational. The wood challenge worked. As for the lens, it isn't the sharpest but its nice to use. I shot jpeg for the first time on my k3 and was pleasantly surprised

https://flic.kr/p/MYJ7Du

Last edited by Cerebum; 08-15-2018 at 02:18 AM.
08-15-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've got a bunch of suggestions. For me, planning a trip where I know there will be photo opportunities is a big one. Get out shooting at a different time of day than you usually do -- get up earlier and watch the sunrise or stay out late and watch the sun go down and the stars come out. Focus, not just on the photos, but on the experience of being somewhere. Try to do photos that you aren't comfortable doing -- street photography, extreme macro, or just shoot black and white for awhile.

Probably the other thing is to increase the social aspect of photography. Share photos in the K3 group K3 sample shots ... post here ! - PentaxForums.com or one of the lens clubs. Join a daily or single in photography group here and get other's input on your photos. Part of what makes photography interesting is a combination of sharing and growing and if you are just taking photos on your own and looking at them on your own computer screen, that joy you once had when you took a good photo can sort of die.
08-15-2018, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I suspect it may take me the rest of my life to try out the brilliant suggestions in this thread. I am massively grateful and thoroughly inspired. I had decided to go with a "single in" using my really nice auto mamiya sekor 50mm f2, but the rain is lashing down! Typical! Another thing I am going to do is use jpeg more and have black and white days. Thanks again for your brilliant input.
08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You've got a bunch of suggestions. For me, planning a trip where I know there will be photo opportunities is a big one. Get out shooting at a different time of day than you usually do -- get up earlier and watch the sunrise or stay out late and watch the sun go down and the stars come out. Focus, not just on the photos, but on the experience of being somewhere. Try to do photos that you aren't comfortable doing -- street photography, extreme macro, or just shoot black and white for awhile.

Probably the other thing is to increase the social aspect of photography. Share photos in the K3 group K3 sample shots ... post here ! - PentaxForums.com or one of the lens clubs. Join a daily or single in photography group here and get other's input on your photos. Part of what makes photography interesting is a combination of sharing and growing and if you are just taking photos on your own and looking at them on your own computer screen, that joy you once had when you took a good photo can sort of die.
That's why single in and daily in can help. The feedback and comraderie helps.