Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh USA has allowed the security certificate for Pentax Photo Gallery to expire

Safari made me jump through hoops (enter Administrator password) to go to the site.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 7.55.29 PM.png
Views: 838
Size:  98.0 KB

08-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's too bad, but I think the fact that they're using let's encrypt is worse :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's encrypt only gives 90 day certs so it is a lot of work to keep up with - maybe they didn't realize that when they picked this method?
08-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this the same Pentax Photo Gallery that has not had camera or lens models updated for a couple of years ?

08-15-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Let's encrypt only gives 90 day certs so it is a lot of work to keep up with - maybe they didn't realize that when they picked this method?
let's encrypt can be updated automatically, it all depends on the server software. You just need to tick the appropiate option.
08-15-2018, 04:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There might be a RIcoh Corporate Security Profile they need to deal with. Corporate Security is tough these days. My company spends $2,000,000,000 a year and employs 1,600 people on it. I can’t even go to PF from work.
08-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Is this the same Pentax Photo Gallery that has not had camera or lens models updated for a couple of years ?
The same Pentax Photo Gallery that now takes more than seven months to get a photo through the approval queue.

08-15-2018, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody know how to permanently delete a whole PPG account? I appreciate that some of you guys still care about that site, but for me, it has turned from a source of pride and motivation into, dare I say it, an embarrassment. Even if there is still some amazing work to be found there, the display quality is abysmal by today's standards, there is no way of updating approved files - fossilizing my since-then-evolved editing skills from several years ago -, and, by all recent accounts, the voting-and-acceptance process has come to take forever. Maintenance efforts from Ricoh Imaging Americas seem to be virtually zero, the expired (or changed) security certificate only being the latest in a row of indications.

Honestly, if Ricoh Imaging Americas - for accessing which, incidentally, my German "location has been blacklisted", as Firefox is telling me - has lost interest in the project, why doesn't someone put the whole thing out of its misery?

Update: Just dropped the PPG link from my signature.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-15-2018 at 05:08 AM.
08-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How can you download your own pictures from this gallery in order to save them to an external (personal) device?

.... I think I asked this before ... somewhere ... ?
08-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's too bad, but I think the fact that they're using let's encrypt is worse :P
It's not like paying for a certificate gets you more security though. One of the advantages to Let's Encypt is that it has short, automatically renewable certificates.

But you do have to remember to set up automatic renewal in the first place...
08-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
It's not like paying for a certificate gets you more security though. One of the advantages to Let's Encypt is that it has short, automatically renewable certificates.

But you do have to remember to set up automatic renewal in the first place...
It can- either if the CA is more trusted, or if you opt for OV or EV. I predict LE will eventually get dis-trusted due to all the malware and phishing that it's enabling, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Not too big of a deal for the PPG, but still something companies should avoid IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: