Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Does anyone have experience/advice on wireless external drives?

Hi everyone,

Next month I'll be traveling for 3 weeks for two rowing competitions (World Rowing Masters - Sarasota & World Rowing Coastal Championships - Victoria, BC) and I won't have access to my computer while away.

I want to be able to dump pictures I take on my k3 to an external drive and hopefully be able to view/share them from my phone while I'm away from home. In particular the ability to view/share will be handy for keeping people updated with pictures of our training rows & races.

I've seen quite a few options including wireless hard drives with sd slots built in, to much cheaper options. I already have an external drive that can be used in some form.

Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated.

08-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My solution is the RAVpower filehub and some high capacity USB drives. The RAVpower has a battery, wireless connectivity, an SD port and a USB port. Your phone will connect to it as it would any wireless drive, and you can access your photos on your SD or copy them to a hard drive or USB thumb drive. I usually copy my SD cards at the end of each day. The RAVpower was less than $40 years ago when I bought it and has worked great.
08-15-2018, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mknowles Quote
I want to be able to dump pictures I take on my k3 to an external drive and hopefully be able to view/share them from my phone while I'm away from home.
I apologize for my snarkiness, but if you are going to use a different device to take pictures than to upload them to a social website why not use a portable device that doubles as a full featured computer with a keyboard, permits as much post-processing as you want, has a vastly more useful display than a phone, connects to USB drives, has its own mass storage built-in, runs on a rechargeable battery, provides high speed wireless access to the Internet from any hotspot (including your phone) and even lets you listen to your iTunes library and watch Netflix. Your workflow already involves three steps, a laptop can be just as "convenient" and gives you capabilities in the field that no other portable device can offer. Just my two cents worth.
08-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

Yep. Like RGlasel says. I just use a laptop. It's just part of my kit. I find it more convenient and I retain all my options.

08-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A minimalist solution would be to use a micro sd card in slot 2 where you move selected shots from sd1 slot of your k3 and plug the micro sd in your smartphone. Or use a sd cart reader with usb3 terminal, it's cheap and small.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-15-2018 at 09:23 PM.
08-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My solution is the RAVpower filehub and some high capacity USB drives. The RAVpower has a battery, wireless connectivity, an SD port and a USB port. Your phone will connect to it as it would any wireless drive, and you can access your photos on your SD or copy them to a hard drive or USB thumb drive. I usually copy my SD cards at the end of each day. The RAVpower was less than $40 years ago when I bought it and has worked great.
I did the same thing, bought the RAVpower filehub. For simplicity, I haven't used the wireless transfer much, I find it's easier to just plug my Passport drive directly into the filehub with the USB cable, and use the filehub app on my Android phone to copy the files from the SD card. What's nice is when I go to sleep at night, I plug the Passport drive into my tablet and upload everything into my Dropbox account. It's a bit slow on the upload side but it's always done by the time I wake in the morning.
08-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Samsung galaxy tab s with a 128gb SD card in it. I also have a transcend device that plugs in to the tablets USB and doubles up as a full sized card reader and a full sized USB port so I can transfer all my files to moveable storage after viewing or processing them. I have a Seagate wireless external hard drive but it wasn't hugely user friendly and the battery life wasn't great. BTW, the transcend hub will work with android phones so technically you don't need a tablet, you just need to make sure you have the storage. It may be possible to transfer directly from the card to the USB, I suspect it is but I haven't tried it.

Good luck in the competitions
08-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A minimalist solution would be to use a micro sd card in slot 2 where you move selected shots from sd1 slot of your k3 and plug the micro sd in your smartphone. Or use a sd cart reader with usb3 terminal, it's cheap and small.
From the Ricoh Support FAQ:

Q: Can a miniSD Card or microSD card be used through a memory card adapter?
A: Proper operation of a memory card used through an adapter cannot be guaranteed.
Use a regular SD Memory Card (SD/SDHC/SDXC).

Earlier version just said use of a MicroSD card is not recommended.

Yeah, I know you and dozens of others are going to say you use MicroSD cards with an adapter all the time with no problem. Great, until you have a problem.

08-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
From the Ricoh Support FAQ:

Q: Can a miniSD Card or microSD card be used through a memory card adapter?
A: Proper operation of a memory card used through an adapter cannot be guaranteed.
Use a regular SD Memory Card (SD/SDHC/SDXC).

Earlier version just said use of a MicroSD card is not recommended.

Yeah, I know you and dozens of others are going to say you use MicroSD cards with an adapter all the time with no problem. Great, until you have a problem.
I use micro SD cards with an adapter, no problem except when I leave the tab in the locked position although, my main card is full size
08-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I apologize for my snarkiness, but if you are going to use a different device to take pictures than to upload them to a social website why not use a portable device that doubles as a full featured computer with a keyboard, permits as much post-processing as you want, has a vastly more useful display than a phone, connects to USB drives, has its own mass storage built-in, runs on a rechargeable battery, provides high speed wireless access to the Internet from any hotspot (including your phone) and even lets you listen to your iTunes library and watch Netflix. Your workflow already involves three steps, a laptop can be just as "convenient" and gives you capabilities in the field that no other portable device can offer. Just my two cents worth.
No worries, but if I had the budget to buy a second computer right now then there wouldn't be much need for me to ask

---------- Post added 16-08-18 at 16:05 ----------

Thanks, I did come across the ravpower on amazon & it looks like it may do the trick coupled with a flashdrive (I'd prefer to not carry my seagate external with me to avoid any 'accidents').
08-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I did the same thing, bought the RAVpower filehub. For simplicity, I haven't used the wireless transfer much, I find it's easier to just plug my Passport drive directly into the filehub with the USB cable, and use the filehub app on my Android phone to copy the files from the SD card. What's nice is when I go to sleep at night, I plug the Passport drive into my tablet and upload everything into my Dropbox account. It's a bit slow on the upload side but it's always done by the time I wake in the morning.
The RAVPOWER is at least faster than its competitors. It does not copy from the SD to its USB via your smartphone, like some others. When you start a copy using its “explorer” function, the transfer is internal and does not tie up your phone.
08-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the RAVPower FileHub Plus last month for 39.99 it's now up to $44.99 on Amazon. I've only tried it once, but it works well. I'll be using it on vacation at the end of next month along with a Sandisk 500gb ssd drive.
08-16-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I bought the RAVPower FileHub Plus last month for 39.99 it's now up to $44.99 on Amazon. I've only tried it once, but it works well. I'll be using it on vacation at the end of next month along with a Sandisk 500gb ssd drive.
There's another nice feature to the filehub, which is probably it's primary function, is that it can become the primary wireless connection while traveling. When we go on vacation, I connect the filehub to the local wifi (such as at a hotel) and then the family members can just connect via the filehub. No multiple passwords or any of that nonsense that resorts like to put on their guests.
08-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

I had some external HDD for few years, but when it started to make funny noises and sometimes corrupt files, I took calculator and decoded there is no point in buying next one. I bought few more SD cards and small plastic box for ~2$ for them. Now I just change card when it's full. And if I need to upload something online, I need laptop for this anyway.
+, when you put SD into some computer you don't trust, you can write protect it and you don't have to warry about some viruses or other malware.