Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gear conumdrum

Warning-

The following post, while not intended to upset anyone, may have that affect on some.

We are moving soon, not far, but an hour or so over to another town where I work. Making that drive after a 12 hour shift has taken it’s toll on me, and I’ve done it for 3 years.
What this has led to, is me, spending some time packing and looking at all of the gear I’ve accumulated over the past, well, many years. While doing this, several things dawned on me:

I have many lenses, which were purchased, and used once or twice and not sold as intended. I also have more cameras than I can justify. The problem with having all this gear, is there are times it gets in the way of simply going out to shoot.

Plus there’s still gear, cameras and lenses I want to acquire and use.

While I have sold a few things over the years, the ratio is probably close to 25 to 1. That is 25 purchased for each 1 sold.

Furthermore, since acquiring the K-1, my K5 and K3 see little love from me. And here is where my brain gets a little fuzzy on me. I’d love to get a KP. I could easily see having a K-1, KP and one of my film cameras for a long trip. But, I’ve used a K5 since they were new, and the user interface of the K5 and K3 are second nature to me, requiring no thought.

Lenses are another issue, but easier to work out. I have my “arsenal” of most used, which include my SMC K, the FA Limiteds, and a couple of star lenses. Almost everything else can get sold. (Of course the D FA *50 will be added soon).

Chime in with advise, or choices you’ve made in similar situations. For the most part, I wrote this as a means to try to sort out what to do with what I have. I’m sure there are people that would put to use the items I have which are collecting dust.

08-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's why when the k1 was out and tested i sold ALL my cameras and lenses and bought one system. I realized i'm still having too much but i'm not far off my goal: 1 camera (FF or MF) and 2 lenses and do everything with that. Next time i'll upgrade i'll skrink the system further.
08-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been (or I still am) in a similar situation. Unless you are 100% sure you don't want something, don't get rid of it. I have sold many lenses that I have ended up buying again.
08-15-2018, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Well, you can look down on my sig.

08-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I have been (or I still am) in a similar situation. Unless you are 100% sure you don't want something, don't get rid of it. I have sold many lenses that I have ended up buying again.
This is one of the fears I have. I have some very "mint" versions of older lenses. In some cases, it took several copies to get one I wanted.

---------- Post added 08-15-2018 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Well, you can look down on my sig.
You have had some very nice lenses. I wish I could have just used some of the ones I purchased, then sold them and chalked it up to studying them. But they seem to go into the cupboard with the others, to be pulled out once in blue moon.
08-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

I've took the route of the "less is more" this year. I've settled in a small, high quality line up, and using the most of every lens. I'm even further reducing it by selling my 35 macro ltd, which isn't used as much since I got the 20-40.
I don't want to be a lens collector, specially of ones that will grow fungus as result of not being used.
08-15-2018, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
I've took the route of the "less is more" this year. I've settled in a small, high quality line up, and using the most of every lens. I'm even further reducing it by selling my 35 macro ltd, which isn't used as much since I got the 20-40.
I don't want to be a lens collector, specially of ones that will grow fungus as result of not being used.
This is more where my mentality seems to be leading. As it is, I have about 6 lenses that see regular use (the DA 20-40 is one of them).

08-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're in good company, with your gear situation. It's a familiar story to me. Before the K-1 officially hit the market, I started pairing my kit down a lot, knowing I'd be applying my funds to the purchase of the K-1. I made a spreadsheet of all my gear, marked the items to sell, and then started listing them. Purposely selling non full frame and full frame lenses that were rarely used. Additionally, I consolidating my funds to purchase a couple of D-FA lenses (150-450 and 24-70) before purchasing the K-1. The K-1 was out for a good 15 months before I made the final shift to full frame. Happy I did. I still have a few too many APS-c bodies and lenses (and probably a few too many FF lenses too that don't get used enough), so still working those down. Like you, my K-3 gets little love these days. I keep hoping my kids will get interested in photography beyond the cellphone selfie, and pick up the K-3 or a K-5. But so far no luck there.
08-16-2018, 03:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

How many of us are collectors as well as being photographers? I wonder if GAS extends to watches, fountain pens, cars or anything else that rewards middle-aged tinkering.
08-16-2018, 03:57 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

selling seems like such a hassle

especially when you have storage room and may use a lens ( some unknown time in the future )

I only have one duplicate in FL the " best in its class " SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS and the SMC Pentax-40mm F2.8 Limited

so I am not in the same " class " as a serious collector

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-16-2018 at 04:56 AM.
08-16-2018, 04:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this forum has much to answer for in this area.
I'm usually happy with what I've got until I see a competition winner taken with a Takigron 17-23 and I think "wow if only I had one of those I could win competitions as well"
So the next few weeks or months are taken up with finding/buying the lens and trying to use it well which keeps me going until the next time.
Then after a while the lens migrates onto the shelf as something new comes along.
That's without reading how wonderful M42/Russian/Ricoh/Cosina/??? lenses are and how some lucky person has bought a stunner from Goodwill for $5
08-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed. I have been a collector of pre-digital film Pentaxes, but only as far as the M series - indeed, of my 'collection' there are only four lens/camera combinations that you'd have to prise out of my cold dead hands; original AP, 1964 early Spotmatic, K2 and the MX that I used for 25 years (until I got the *ist DS), all working as designed and in great condition. I however doubt whether any will see film again.

Otherwise I'm not a conscious collector of digital cameras or lenses (or anything really - I still wear the watch that I've had for 30 years). What I have tucked away in drawers camera-wise is solely because I've never sold anything, just moved on as I've seen the need. I don't shoot with many different lenses just because I have them; it was clear to me that the 20-40, 55-300PLM and 10-17 on my K-3II covered pretty much everything I needed in terms of reach and quality, related to my shooting style (whatever that is), so as a consequence, that's what I use. Yes, reviews of new lenses are good to read, and the photos posted here are almost unfailingly impressive - but all that doesn't make me want to go out and buy new lenses or re-use old ones. As someone else said here recently, the only limitation on my photography is the loose nut behind the viewfinder, rather than the gear that I use, which outperforms me on every level!
08-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
25 purchased for each 1 sold.
It could be worse. I guess I don't really have a ratio since I've never sold anything

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
selling seems like such a hassle
Yes, it is! Besides, what I could consider selling wouldn't be worth much anyway. And it doesn't take up that much space...

Ok, ok, I'm a hoarder. There, I said it. Happy now?
08-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should probably ignore me since I enjoy LBA and GAS - hey, self medicating can be fun! So, if it's not a financial issue, who cares if you have a cabinet full of nice glass and some neat cameras? There are a lot more pressing things to worry about in life other than a nice gear collection! If you really feel pressed, I suppose you could look at selling "duplicate" focal lengths, but does it really get you anything? I mean, what could be better than being in the mood for a certain focal length and having some choices on how things render? If you have a lens you don't use, put it on the camera for a week, and see if you still want to get rid of it. My guess is not.

08-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
How many of us are collectors as well as being photographers? I wonder if GAS extends to watches, fountain pens, cars or anything else that rewards middle-aged tinkering.
I'm guilty of that disease, too. Watches (jdm Seiko, Orient Star as expected from a Pentaxian), guitars, kitchen gadgets, scale trains/ship/cars, and being a tool junkie.

Luckily I've been selling lots of unused stuff and just keeping the essentials.