Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photography Workshops

This thread I am starting has been inspired by the thread started by JHfwp Your dream Workshop instructor found here Your Dream Workshop Instructor - PentaxForums.com

What I would like to find out is what has been or would be a photography workshop that you attended or would like to attend.

I have never been able to attend any workshops as of yet. I have looked at some and wished I could go, but it is just not in the stars for me. Anyways here are a couple I would like to go to.

Arizona Highway Photography Workshops

Colors of Canyon de Chelly with Arizona Highways Photo Workshops

Arizona Highways Photo Workshops This one is for Route 66.

Colors of the Rockies with Arizona Highways PhotoScapes

Another one I would like to do is one I have never seen anybody list. I would like to go to Kyoto Japan and do a workshop there, or just go to Kyoto Japan just to take photographs.

How about you? have you taken any workshops that you would want to tell others about? Are there any workshops you want to take? Tell use about them. If you are going to tell us about the instructor, please go to JHfwp's thread and tell us about him or her.

08-18-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't mind doing the Canyon de Chelly workshop I wasn't there to do a workshop, but I would gladly do one just to visit the place again!
08-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #3

Great thread BigDave!
Being a daytime Accountant ... I am "cheap" so this will never happen, but ... I like the sound of this 5 day workshop with Robert Rodriguez Jr in the Moab/Canyonlands region in the Spring of 2019.
From the comments of past students, it seems like you would actually learn and grow as a photographer. Whereas I look at other conferences where someone gets up and talks for an hour or two, I find myself thinking (very humbly of course), "I could probably teach that". Spending 5 days with 4 other students working with Robert would be a "next-level" experience I think. In the meantime I will have to stick to watching his B&H Event-Space videos on YT.

Spring in the Southwest | Robert Rodriguez Jr

Dave
08-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That Route 66 workshop with Kerrick James looks like it would be fun. Arizona Highways used to be my photographic bible when I was first getting into shooting. I'd buy each issue the minute it hit the newsstands and study every picture inside. I used to think that if I could just get out to Arizona, then I could make cool landscapes, too. As luck would have it, some friends got a job in Tucson and several of us eventually went out for a visit. I was so excited, I could barely stand it! One day, I drove out into the countryside around Tucson, expecting to find great photos. But when I got out there, it was a desert! It was nothing like what I'd imagined. That's when I learned that photography is about more than just the setting. It's about light, color, line, texture, and a dozen other things. I figured, "If those guys in Arizona Highways can make a desert look good...surely I can do the same with the landscapes back home." And since then, that's pretty much what I've tried to do. I always tell people that I've adopted Dorothy's philosophy from The Wizard of Oz..."If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard." I don't mean this to be an "anti-workshop" post because I don't feel that way at all. In fact, a photography workshop totally changed the trajectory of my life and I'm still enjoying the benefits of that change some 30 years later.

08-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That Route 66 workshop with Kerrick James looks like it would be fun. Arizona Highways used to be my photographic bible when I was first getting into shooting. I'd buy each issue the minute it hit the newsstands and study every picture inside. I used to think that if I could just get out to Arizona, then I could make cool landscapes, too. As luck would have it, some friends got a job in Tucson and several of us eventually went out for a visit. I was so excited, I could barely stand it! One day, I drove out into the countryside around Tucson, expecting to find great photos. But when I got out there, it was a desert! It was nothing like what I'd imagined. That's when I learned that photography is about more than just the setting. It's about light, color, line, texture, and a dozen other things. I figured, "If those guys in Arizona Highways can make a desert look good...surely I can do the same with the landscapes back home." And since then, that's pretty much what I've tried to do. I always tell people that I've adopted Dorothy's philosophy from The Wizard of Oz..."If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard." I don't mean this to be an "anti-workshop" post because I don't feel that way at all. In fact, a photography workshop totally changed the trajectory of my life and I'm still enjoying the benefits of that change some 30 years later.
I wouldn't take your post as an anti-workshop post. The thing is, even though you didn't take a workshop, you learned something just by looking at the photos in Arizona Highways and then seeing part of Arizona for yourself.Kind of in a way, you did your own workshop.

The little bit of time I have spent in Arizona, I realized that in Arizona, with a day or two of driving, you can go from desert to mountains. The same can be said about Colorado. The west half of Colorado is mountains and the east half is all scrub brush with trees here and there.
08-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
"If those guys in Arizona Highways can make a desert look good...surely I can do the same with the landscapes back home."

That is the attitude that will produce results. Take the learnings from the photos you analyzed and apply those techniques to different landscapes closer to home. As BigDave mentioned Arizona and Colorado have ecosystems that can vary drastically over a few hundred miles. The same is true for the Canadian province of Alberta. Within a 4 hour drive you can go from taking photos of cactus in the badlands to pristine, glacier-fed mountain lakes. Same techniques can be used for different views. Workshops just give us a few days to hone those skills without the distraction of day to day life.

Dave