Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What gear would you pack for a zombie apocalypse?

As a fan of The Walking Dead as well as a keen photographer, I can't help wondering what sort of camera and lenses one would take along to document one's travels in such a scenario. Assuming that having a camera won't affect one chance of survival, of course. The weight might slow you down. Stopping to take pictures might allow the zombies or the bad guys to get you because of divided attention. But let's assume that taking pictures is possible in our version of doomsday. It would be good to document the events for future generations. The Walking Dead heroes packed a great variety of firepower, but no camera gear. I would like to set that straight. What should they have done?

The first concern is battery life. A mechanical film camera such a Pentax MX with little need for batteries (sunny f/16 rule and all that) would work great. Until you run out of film, that is. Developing the film might be a hassle during a zombie apocalypse, as well. Rick and his crew has sure moved around a lot. So digital it would have to be. A very compact camera such as the Pentax Q would be a good choice, but I have no knowledge of the system and can't comment on its suitability. A small MILC such as my Samsung NX100 might work. It fits in a coat pocket but how do I charge the battery? That brings me to the next point.

Sticking to what I know and what I already have, my Pentax K-x is looking good. The one big advantage is that it takes double A's. There should be plenty of those around to last me a while. Batteries will be right up there with food on my list of stuff to loot for post apocalyptic shopping. It is quite compact for an APS-C and the weather sealing and tough chassis will be of help.

As for lenses, I think that the screw drive autofocus would be too much of a drain on those precious penlights. So manual focus it will have to be. Saving the battery means that green button shenanigans should be avoided as much as possible. So A lenses it will have to be. That means my 24 mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.7 will be going into my bugout bag. If there is room left, I will take the M 200mm f/4 as well. It is very light and has excellent reach on an APS-C body. Pity about the metering, I will have to look around for an A version. One never knows when the zombies will come knocking. This is as good a reason for buying a lens as any other, hehehe.

Over to you, best and brightest Pentaxians. What will be going into your bag when the time comes to evade the zombies? What did I miss in my shopping list? The problem with my choice of old school lenses is the lack of weather sealing. I might have to rethink that. Rick and his crew spent a lot of time in the rugged outdoors.

08-19-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simple weather sealed compact and a usb/mechanical solar charger.
08-19-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d want the lenses to be really sharp :P

Maybe a KP for compactness and high sensitivity. The camera would probably see more use as a telescope than a camera... though the Q would rule during the day...

Though if you came across a truckload of Nikons, you could throw them at the zombies to slow them down...

-Eric
08-19-2018, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Though if you came across a truckload of Nikons, you could throw them at the zombies to slow them down...

-Eric
This made me laugh.

08-19-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zombie apocalypse? An iPhone camera with a means to charge; maybe. Beans, bullets, and band aids will be the priority.
08-19-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think long lenses only, for my safety.

And a DFA*50.

Not to shoot with, but to use in hand-to-hand combat.

08-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As exemplified in _Dawn of the Dead_, zombies are very easy to run around, run past or simply push out of the way.
For that, the only specialized equipment I think I'll need is a stout stick, perhaps 4-6' long, for pushing the zombies
out of the way. Maybe if I'm feeling extravagant I'll take along a hydraulic hammer, not unlike the default weapon
from the original Unreal Tournament series, (wow, has it really been 18 years since my late night gaming sessions
as an IT professional).

The only real danger with zombies is being cornered or surrounded by their masses. This makes rest or sleep
problematic as it gives the zombies a chance to do just that. So, I would also bring along copious amounts of teflon
coated film. I would then find a location like the Monastery of the Holy Trinity, Meteora . Finally, I would cover
the cliff face with teflon film and laugh as the zombies tried to scale the heights.

Cameras? I don't think I'd bother. If a zombie apocalypse actually occurred I doubt I would be in any mood
to capture it for future memory. If I should ride out the apocalypse, I imagine there would be a superfluity of
excellent photographic gear to be had for free and then I could shoot anything I desired.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 08-19-2018 at 05:23 PM.
08-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But you just know there’s going to be ‘that guy’...

‘You know, DPR said that Sony weather sealing is sufficient for the thickened bloom of the undead, but you still can’t take their cameras out in the rain...’

‘And Ken Rockwell said that the Canon bodies won’t withstand being used as a club...’

He’s the guy viewers are hoping gets bit by the hipster zombie still holding his Canonet...

-Eric
08-19-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A camera that doubles as a club. There's a thought.

I was once tackled by an inebriated guy while taking pictures at a football game. As we went down I gave a good thump with my LX. He apologized profusely as we got up...
08-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

Remember, edged weapons do not need to be reloaded.
08-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A takumar 500 to use it as a weapon.
08-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The first concern is battery life. A mechanical film camera such a Pentax MX with little need for batteries (sunny f/16 rule and all that) would work great. Until you run out of film, that is. Developing the film might be a hassle during a zombie apocalypse, as well.
While I agree that developing might become an issue I wouldn't rule out mechanical cameras that quickly. I mean how many zombies can you photograph before the subject gets boring, documentary or not .
Film will also be the least concern for most survivors so there will be plenty lying around in occasionally emerging drug stores on the way .
If you accomplish some developing once a year you are more future proof than with SD cards, who knows if potential post apocalypticans still know how to read them .

Last but not least: When it comes to self defense I would rather trust my Zenit E to crack a zombiehead open than my K-3.
08-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Since Power will also become a problem eventually, digital in general seems like not such a great long term solution. Film and gear to develop it might actually end up being the last option standing after a while. Might be good to start scavenging supplies early on. Before it runs out though, some Fujifilm Instax gear might be good.
08-19-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

My old Bigma,ideal bludgeon!
08-19-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strangest thread I've read of late...