Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Didn't this happen recently with a Pentax ad taken with a d800? Or maybe it was a Nikon ad taken with a 645d.
If the ad is e.g. an image of a person holding the camera, or otherwise a depiction of the product it doesn't matter which camera was used to take it.

If we'd be talking about a gallery of images supposedly taken with a camera, but which are taken with another model - that would be dishonest.

About Huawei... nobody should care what camera was used for the video, because that's not the point of the ad. But the images inserted in the video, which they're suggesting they're taken with the phone...

08-21-2018, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, and those "Sea Monkeys" look nothing like the bipedal hominoids with built-in crowns shown in the advertisement because they're brine shrimp. I'm glad I never spent 2.5 weeks' allowance on those. I would have been doubly disappointed when brine shrimp hatched from the eggs because I could get brine shrimp for free by scooping them out of a slough a couple hundred metres from the house where I grew up on the Canadian Prairies.
Amazing live Sea Monkeys (1978) - Click Americana
08-21-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Yeah, and those "Sea Monkeys" look nothing like the bipedal hominoids with built-in crowns shown in the advertisement because they're brine shrimp. I'm glad I never spent 2.5 weeks' allowance on those. I would have been doubly disappointed when brine shrimp hatched from the eggs because I could get brine shrimp for free by scooping them out of a slough a couple hundred metres from the house where I grew up on the Canadian Prairies.
Amazing live Sea Monkeys (1978) - Click Americana
I sent away for Sea Monkeys when I was a kid. Brine shrimp were pretty exotic to a kid from upstate NY...
08-21-2018, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

At the very least, I'd strip the exif before sending it into the wild
Yeah, that's what I'd do if I was a Ricoh executive.

If the 645Z were part of a campaign and the agency asked would there be a problem if they hired an outstanding Hasselblad tog for the job, I'd say of course not.

Back the talent working for you, don't constrain them.

08-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I sent away for Sea Monkeys when I was a kid. Brine shrimp were pretty exotic to a kid from upstate NY...
I too loved the drawings used to advertise them. Basically, lying to kids to get their pocket money off them.

08-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I too loved the drawings used to advertise them. Basically, lying to kids to get their pocket money off them.
I don't know if they got mine, but I think I got my brine shrimp from a neighbor who had tropical fish. Saved me some of my paper route money!
08-21-2018, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I don't know if they got mine, but I think I got my brine shrimp from a neighbor who had tropical fish. Saved me some of my paper route money!
I was fascinated to hear in a podcast that pinball was illegal in New York and various other cities until the 1970s because it was regarded as a way to harvest money from kids, no different from gambling.

Certainly, the Kiss pinball machine at my college shook me down twenty cents at a time.

08-21-2018, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was fascinated to hear in a podcast that pinball was illegal in New York and various other cities until the 1970s because it was regarded as a way to harvest money from kids, no different from gambling.

Certainly, the Kiss pinball machine at my college shook me down twenty cents at a time.
I crushed that machine when it came out! The Magic castle was in a strip mall that they shared with the military recruiting offices. That is how I ended up in the Corps!
08-21-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pinball machines? Kiss? Luxury! When I were lad, we had conkers and Doris Day...
08-21-2018, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My dad owned a bar from the late '70s through the mid '80s. When he first bought the bar there was an coin-op bowling machine, but when it broke there were no parts to fix it. He had a shuffle puck bowling game after that. The only pinball machine that I can remember was the Playboy pinball machine, though he had several others through the years.

But it was the video games that I remember. Asteroids, Space Invaders, a Pac-Man knock off, Pole Position...He had a deal with a guy to install and maintain the machines and the Juke Box, 50/50 split. Even at that Asteroids & Space Invaders paid for our trip to Disney World...
08-21-2018, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I crushed that machine when it came out! The Magic castle was in a strip mall that they shared with the military recruiting offices. That is how I ended up in the Corps!
Yes, I heard that The First To Fight did their recruiting in the malls, looking for troubled and impressionable youths such as yourself, Tom!

I'm a history nerd, and the Corps has always had that impressive past/culture, just getting the best out of whatever resources the other services haven't already claimed.

Last edited by clackers; 08-21-2018 at 10:26 PM.
08-21-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it was the video games that I remember. Asteroids, Space Invaders, a Pac-Man knock off, Pole Position...He had a deal with a guy to install and maintain the machines and the Juke Box, 50/50 split. Even at that Asteroids & Space Invaders paid for our trip to Disney World...
Yeah, 'Galaga' also had a massive hit on my disposable income as a youngster, BC!

Those consoles pop up on sale on eBay and so on, and for about two seconds I think about buying one and building a man-cave around it and a bar fridge. Divorce would follow rapidly, I suspect.
08-22-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

The Star Wars arcade game ate my allowance. The 3-d line graphics felt so advanced, like the '90s had come a decade early. I remember the standup version was one quarter but the sit down cockpit style was 2 quarters for the full experience if you were feeling flush with cash. We had a port to a home game consoles (or maybe it was our trusty commodore 64), but it just wasn't the same.

I don't think there's any going back. Even with a full arcade console, you'd need a suitably pop-soaked sticky floor and the older kids to monopolize the machine you wanted, which was frustrating but made your turn that much sweeter.

Back the talent working for you, don't constrain them.
I completely agree, but also find it a little unfortunate that there wouldn't be existing working relationships with the many outstanding professionals who use your equipment. Hopelessly idealistic, I know
08-22-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, 'Galaga' also had a massive hit on my disposable income as a youngster, BC!

Those consoles pop up on sale on eBay and so on, and for about two seconds I think about buying one and building a man-cave around it and a bar fridge. Divorce would follow rapidly, I suspect.
My dad never had Galaga, but he did have Gorf. I don't think he ever had a Donkey Kong machine either...
08-22-2018, 04:54 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Star Wars arcade game ate my allowance. The 3-d line graphics felt so advanced, like the '90s had come a decade early. I remember the standup version was one quarter but the sit down cockpit style was 2 quarters for the full experience if you were feeling flush with cash. We had a port to a home game consoles (or maybe it was our trusty commodore 64), but it just wasn't the same.
The Macintosh version was very good (b&w graphics, voices but no in game music, Amiga & Atari ST had digitized sound effects). But I didn't have one of those until the '90s...I don't know about the 8-bit home computer ports...the console ports weren't good at all...