Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
it is still a good photo
joking apart - it is!

---------- Post added 21-08-18 at 12:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
for me grain goes well with black and white...or the other way round
Actually, it's fine with anything that doesn't try to look naturalistic (particularly reduced saturation or digitally reduced colour palette ) - B&W is the original and extreme version of this - one' we're so familiar with that it sometimes looks hyper-realistic, though of course it's not.

08-21-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somewhere here I saw a similar thread where the suggestion wast to go get a large print of one of the high ISO images so you can see how much the noise actually affects a printed image and then realize it with noise abatement it isn't a huge idea. I forget what they suggested as a large print but I would think getting something around a 16x10 at about 300dpi would work for that camera. I use to be be like you but then I go back and look at scans of film I did and realize that the grain I see at ISO 3200 out of my K-3 is less than the grain I see on scans of Fuji Superia ISO 200 film I use to shoot all the time. Even last night I went and cranked the ISO up on that camera as I was out shooting handheld with a 300mm lens near dusk with overcast skies. The only time I have been annoyed with noise after that was the time when I wanted to see what an ISO 51,200 image looked like and basically got an impressionist painting.
08-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Make some prints.
08-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Make some prints.
Especially of the impressionist painting! It could fund your next lens

08-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Especially of the impressionist painting! It could fund your next lens
I don't think a night time winter picture of the neighbors blue house across the street illuminated with the sodium vapor street light would sell. It might be fun to go any only shoot at ISO 51,200 for a bit and see what I get as sometimes the noise works.
08-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I don't think a night time winter picture of the neighbors blue house across the street illuminated with the sodium vapor street light would sell. It might be fun to go any only shoot at ISO 51,200 for a bit and see what I get as sometimes the noise works.
To get the posting figures up for the raffle, you could start a new super-high ISO thread - say, ISO 51,200 and above for recent cameras, or whatever the maximum ISO is for older cameras. Post-processing allowed for noise reduction
08-21-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #22

Repeat after me (endlessly):

"Grain is good."
"Mustn't go against the grain."

08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #23

GR is more of a stealth camera... I don't have K1 to compare files to but getting the shot is more important to me than worrying about Grain. And who knows with the pace at with softwares are developing they might soon be able to eliminate grain

Keep shooting! Love the grain

- SM
08-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To get the posting figures up for the raffle, you could start a new super-high ISO thread - say, ISO 51,200 and above for recent cameras, or whatever the maximum ISO is for older cameras. Post-processing allowed for noise reduction
Might be fun to see what people do and some creative uses of it. Too bad I don't think I will have the time tonight to take any that might be interesting. I may find some time but it would likely have to be done in passing.
08-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am rocking my K30 and a manual mamiya sekor (single in) so, providing it isn't lashing it down, I might get my impressionist head on. Is there any particular genre that would work well? (Or illustrate beautifully just how horrendous it is)
08-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
pxt

For extemally grainy picture I simply convert them to B&W. From another hand why not add more grain to make old film way?

How to Add Film Grain in Lightroom - Photography Life
08-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I've actually seen pretty similar noise way back when I was using a mft camera, but maybe K-1 spoiled me too much) I'm trying to overcome this flaw in me, I'm looking at Daido Moriyama's work now, maybe someone can suggest more of stuff like that? Gritty, artistic and interesting work that revels in grain and highlights it at times
I always think of Anton Corbijn when grain is mentioned. Not really a favourite photographer of mine due to his subjects. Mainly celebrities and bands.

A more contemporary one is Matt Black . I really like his work. I have a slight aversion to super grainy BW as a style choice but his is very good indeed.

See also Stanley Greene

I really like my GR II. I think an often overlooked aspect of cameras (and lenses) is that they change what you see and photograph depending on their character and ergonomics. The GR makes for free and direct images.
08-23-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A more contemporary one is Matt Black . I really like his work.
Is that his real name? If so, that's incredibly cool! I wish my parents had that kind of foresight
08-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I always think of Anton Corbijn when grain is mentioned. Not really a favourite photographer of mine due to his subjects. Mainly celebrities and bands.

A more contemporary one is Matt Black . I really like his work. I have a slight aversion to super grainy BW as a style choice but his is very good indeed.

See also Stanley Greene

I really like my GR II. I think an often overlooked aspect of cameras (and lenses) is that they change what you see and photograph depending on their character and ergonomics. The GR makes for free and direct images.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look them up.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 09:55 PM ----------

btw, I find RT does a very good job with GR files, colors looks better, and noise is less obtrusive than in LR, dunno if it's just placebo or what)
08-24-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Is that his real name? If so, that's incredibly cool! I wish my parents had that kind of foresight
He might be very upset with his parents about never being able to print on hi gloss or photographing subtle colour gradients that never clip to black