Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Brian May and Stereo photography

Went to see guitar genius Brian May at the Edinburgh Book Festival, where he was promoting a book about 19th century stereo photography alongside Roger Taylor (not the drummer).
As well as talking about the work of George Washington Wilson, Brian mentioned his own forays into the world of 3-D photography and a book he published featuring his own stereo images, many of his own group Queen.
Lomography covered this nicely in a post Stereo Photography: An Interview with Brian May · Lomography and whilst it doesn't disclose the stereo camera Brian used, you can't argue with his impecible taste in conventional 35mm SLRs

08-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am envious. I went to LOTS of rock concerts in my youth including Pink Floyd, the Moody Blues, ELP, CSNY, Boston, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, etc, but nothing compared to three Queen concerts back in the late 70's in California. Freddie on vocals, Roger on drums, John on bass, and Brian's wizardry on lead guitar (and sometime acoustic). Pure magic.
08-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Went to see guitar genius Brian May at the Edinburgh Book Festival, where he was promoting a book about 19th century stereo photography alongside Roger Taylor (not the drummer).
As well as talking about the work of George Washington Wilson, Brian mentioned his own forays into the world of 3-D photography and a book he published featuring his own stereo images, many of his own group Queen.
Lomography covered this nicely in a post Stereo Photography: An Interview with Brian May · Lomography and whilst it doesn't disclose the stereo camera Brian used, you can't argue with his impecible taste in conventional 35mm SLRs
This is cool. Thanks Johndav.
Jeff Bridges is also into stereo photography and photography in general. His camera of choice is a Wide-lux.
JeffBridges.com Photography
08-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was a great interview and very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

08-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a kid I had one of those 3D viewers with discs of the Appolo missions, the command and Luna modules were really stunning, like you could imagine being there. I can see the attraction.
08-21-2018, 01:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He's quite the Renaissance man,Brian.Fantastic guitarist,photographer,heavily into conservation/animal rights,PhD in Astrophysics and practical too,he built his iconic guitar with his father's help.
If it wasn't for the poodle perm I'd have a bit of a man crush on him