Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian
dsmithhfx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,594
Hmmm. OK, here's a place many pass through (mostly in motor vehicles) -- few pause to admire the view.



08-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,355
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Hmmm. OK, here's a place many pass through (mostly in motor vehicles) -- few pause to admire the view.
Well, if they bother to get out of their car, change from being a passive driver to an active photographer and get over there, the location's got lots of lines, so they can be made to converge … just have to wait on or create something worthwhile at their end. As Robert Capa said, "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.”

Symmetry is all over the place too, like the windows in that terminal or whatever it is, there's no picture in that until you bring something in that breaks the symmetry, and suddenly, it gets interesting again.

And those smaller buildings have wall art.

As viewers, we know a photographer's not trying … they're just taking a snapshot, a phone would suffice, and we appreciate when there's some photographic principle they've worked to achieve, which you can see in DeadJohn's two shots.

Last edited by clackers; 08-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.
08-21-2018, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian
Mark Ransom's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 492
Sure, I take pictures of popular places. It may have been done 1000 times before, but none of those were mine. I can take some pride in my work even if someone else has done it much better.

The first picture is one of the most popular picture spots in Minnesota, the Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior. I'm sure 10 seconds of Googling could find something better, but I like this one.

The second is a picture of the Grand Canyon, with an interesting twist.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Mark Ransom; 08-30-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Shrink images
08-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,355
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote

The second is a picture of the Grand Canyon, with an interesting twist.
Love it, Mark!

Of course, you'd have also taken standard touristy shots, but this is the one from the day you're justifiably proud of.

08-22-2018, 02:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian
dsmithhfx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,594
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, if they bother to get out of their car, change from being a passive driver to an active photographer and get over there, the location's got lots of lines, so they can be made to converge just have to wait on or create something worthwhile at their end. As Robert Capa said, "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.

Symmetry is all over the place too, like the windows in that terminal or whatever it is, there's no picture in that until you bring something in that breaks the symmetry, and suddenly, it gets interesting again.

And those smaller buildings have wall art.

As viewers, we know a photographer's not trying they're just taking a snapshot, a phone would suffice, and we appreciate when there's some photographic principle they've worked to achieve, which you can see in DeadJohn's two shots.
This is a good formula.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
photograph, photography, popular places, travel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
subjects or places to photograph at Spokane WA redbusa General Photography 7 07-01-2018 09:59 AM
Elle Magazine places fashion Instagrammer on its cover, shot with an iPhone johnmflores Photographic Industry and Professionals 27 06-01-2017 07:46 AM
What sorts of places take donations of photo prints? Outis General Photography 13 02-14-2017 08:32 AM
Mike Johnston places the Pentax K-1 at top of camera list for 4Q 2016 Arjay Bee Pentax News and Rumors 4 12-07-2016 10:00 AM
Finding places to stargaze? lithedreamer General Photography 7 11-18-2016 01:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top