Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Popular places

Do you take photographs of popular places? I didn't considering the selfies and family shots at popular places. So if you know someone took a photo about the place from a similar angle in a similar lighting with similar setup do you take another one?
It matteres if you seen the similar photograph before or not?

I don't like taking these photos especially if I know a similar photograph, but I still making them. When I travel I'am making all the standard tourist shoots and I hope I will get some unique too.

08-21-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would still take the shot. Why? Because it’s mine and who knows with different weather and lighting conditions.
08-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it is part of the "art" of photography to create a different image of a familiar scene. Lighting and weather as Steve points out are two variables. Others are camera position and angle. Throw a wide angle or telephoto into the mix too. Go for a narrow DOF by shooting wide open, or slow the shutter speed right down to create blur.

The list is as they say, endless.
08-21-2018, 04:38 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
I'll take the usual tourist views then try to find a different angle or perspective.It's suprising even in the most selfie crowded spot wander off a couple of hundred yards and you can find something a bit different:

These two were taken within 8 minutes and 75 yards of each other

08-21-2018, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely get the standard shot in the can, and experiment afterwards - applies to all photography.

There'll be a sense of ticking the box that then liberates you to create the picture that doesn't come up in Google Images.

08-21-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I walk past tourist attractions on the way to work. And similar to timb64, i try to find something else that's worth photographing. But when traveling I also take photos of popular things as a tourist, I think my family would be less enthusiastic to just see my attempts at street photography
08-21-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I like taking shots that are probably a waste of film, because nobody in their right mind mind would think there's an interesting subject. I like to think they might turn out anyway. I suppose it's my version of buying lottery tickets.
08-21-2018, 10:14 AM - 6 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm in the NYC area with many frequently-photographed, iconic buildings. I'll still photograph them but I try to find something unique for a keeper. For example, I wandered around for a different view of the Brooklyn Bridge, and did a bit of research and trigonometry to get the moon aligned with Empire State Building.

08-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deadjohn, beautiful photo, shows the results of your planing.
08-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll play.
08-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

In crowded tourist spots you will rarely get a photo that is unique, but it may be unique to you, that evokes some meaning or feeling associated in your mind with that place. That is enough.

Getting interesting shots when travelling is not hard, because the places and people and situations are novel to you. It is much more difficult around your local area, where you have shot many times before. Different time of year, different weather, different light, different lenses can help you find something new in a familiar scene. But I must admit, the most difficult thing for me is to think where to go in my local patch that will present opportunities for novelty.
08-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I'll take the usual tourist views then try to find a different angle or perspective.It's suprising even in the most selfie crowded spot wander off a couple of hundred yards and you can find something a bit different:

These two were taken within 8 minutes and 75 yards of each other

I love the second shot
08-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
I love the second shot
Thanks.
08-21-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I like taking shots that are probably a waste of film, because nobody in their right mind mind would think there's an interesting subject. I like to think they might turn out anyway. I suppose it's my version of buying lottery tickets.
But it's on us as photographers to be presented with a mundane setting and find a way of getting an interesting photo out of it, right?

It wouldn't be the subject but our treatment of it that means it's deliberately, not randomly good!

You can even introduce a second subject … I decided on this tourist attraction to not just get the T-Rex in isolation against a clean blue sky background, but turn and put the entrance in the pic too. The result's an odd conjunction, a bit Godzilla.

Last edited by clackers; 08-21-2018 at 05:03 PM.
08-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In crowded tourist spots you will rarely get a photo that is unique, but it may be unique to you, that evokes some meaning or feeling associated in your mind with that place. That is enough.

Getting interesting shots when travelling is not hard, because the places and people and situations are novel to you. It is much more difficult around your local area, where you have shot many times before. Different time of year, different weather, different light, different lenses can help you find something new in a familiar scene. But I must admit, the most difficult thing for me is to think where to go in my local patch that will present opportunities for novelty.
I think the shot's always there, Paul, even in our backyard, we need to engineer it, of course.

You're a fellow Melburnian, and have probably shot the grafitti art in Hosier Lane a hundred times.

But you can ask permission to shoot and create the picture. As you know, light only comes down vertically in that lane and bad shadows on faces are the result but if we interact with our subject we can get them to lift their head.