Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Nikon Mirrorless

It looks like Pentax and the rest are going to have to up their game.

Nikon Z7 review: hands on first look - Amateur Photographer

08-23-2018, 01:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why ? This depends if mirrorless is what folk really want. It's interesting Nikon haven't gone for a small body, they've only one SD slot and many old lenses won't AF. With a bigger than possible body and lenses the same size, and a high price tag, it doesn't appeal to me.
08-23-2018, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Why ? This depends if mirrorless is what folk really want. It's interesting Nikon haven't gone for a small body, they've only one SD slot and many old lenses won't AF. With a bigger than possible body and lenses the same size, and a high price tag, it doesn't appeal to me.
It looks like things are moving forward though and can Pentax afford to be left behind ?
08-23-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good article, but this part stretches the truth just a bit:

QuoteQuote:
Close your eyes and pick up either the Z7 or Z6 and you immediately know the camera you’re holding is a Nikon.

08-23-2018, 01:18 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like a properly designed mirrorless system, based on large enough lens mount to support large rear lens element and really short register distance, and IBIS.
08-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are already about 4 threads on this in the 'non Pentax cameras' area.
08-23-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The new Z system looks very promising and attractive to me! The IBIS combined with the wider mount and the already top AF systems of Nikon will render the Z series highly competent to Sony and the forthcoming Canon systems.

What is equally important is that the FTZ adapter offers IBIS to older F Nikon lenses like Pentax does with their cameras.

Regarding Pentax, there is nothing to worry about as MILC is a category that is out of its aims. Pentax clearly stated that they will stay focused on further developing DSLRs and for me that is a wise decision!

08-23-2018, 01:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There are already about 4 threads on this in the 'non Pentax cameras' area.
Sorry about that, did they have the hands on review link ?
08-23-2018, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think 330 shot/charge according to CIPA test is a way lower than acceptable for this class of cameras.

Speces are here: Nikon Z 7: Digital Photography Review
08-23-2018, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
It looks like things are moving forward though and can Pentax afford to be left behind ?
I don't use vinyl, but I see Linn Sondek are still doing well ;-) There are places in markets for alternative approaches, and a race by all the big guns to mirrorless may leave Pentax in a healthier position ...
08-23-2018, 02:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As of right now, it feels a bit expensive for what it is. Sony has tried to design mirrorless cameras that are true replacements for SLRs. These Z cameras feel more like cameras you would shoot beside a Nikon SLR if you are interested in videography. One card slot (with XQD format) feels like it immediately demotes it to enthusiast type camera, even if the price says something else. Battery life isn't great either, but that isn't surprising for mirrorless. Size is actually pretty large -- weight is apparently 675 grams versus the weight of a D750 which is 750 grams.

I'm sure it will sell decently purely because of the name Nikon on it, but I don't quite see the point other than video, EVF, and all the auto focus point on the sensor (but actually less capable low light auto focus than cameras like the K-1 or D850).
08-23-2018, 05:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Who have decided that reflex are behind ML ?

I had ML cameras before, then evolved to reflex. It can be seen in both ways

It looks like Pentax and the rest are going to have to up their game.

Nikon Z7 review: hands on first look - Amateur Photographer

I don't see the point to have a small camera with big heavy lenses, it will just be less practical to hold, and by the way what you see on ML is still delayed from reality, I saw elsewhere that the delay is varying up to almost 1 tenth of a second (well 0.8 tenth), it can make you miss a lot of photography on some sports or any fast actions.

Let's stop a little on some of the specs of the news Nikons, according to this 'review' :
- 5 axis stabilisation : nothing new for Pentax
- huge 0.8x magnification : well, even the K-70 has about 0.95 magnification, like lots of other reflex of all brands in fact

And what a price !
It will be bought by people believing ML is "new" so it's better, but it's not ^^.
08-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter

As many others have stated Pentax has no plans to enter the mirrorless market. Can I ask you a question? Why would I or you for that matter want this camera considering it's price and the price of the 3 lenses available for it. I don't see the value in it currently. Maybe in the future.
08-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter

As many others have stated Pentax has no plans to enter the mirrorless market. Can I ask you a question? Why would I or you for that matter want this camera considering it's price and the price of the 3 lenses available for it. I don't see the value in it currently. Maybe in the future.
08-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #15

XQD card (1) and 330 shots? Looks like a "I've got the latest most expensive kit", but not necessarily the best, type of camera.
Taking 12fps bursts will burn through that battery (I know 310 is conservative, but still...) in how many seconds?! Is it a joke?