Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #76
Banned

Original Poster
I'm sitting in a bar in Thailand, loving life and photography.

Thank you all

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
08-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote

Thank you all
Enjoy. We're looking forward to your involvement going forward too, Bert

EDIT: This is your idea of fun while you're in Thailand?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
08-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sorry but you are off topic, only arguments accepted and considered by the OP.
No, that would be abuse. See above...

...but of course, much depends on post count and how many years history on this site.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
08-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #79
Pentaxian

The OP just said he created this thread just for self entertainment, possibly while drunk (he is in a bar after all). If that doesn't qualify as the definition of a troll, I don't know what does.

(Usually I'd just ignore, but hey, one more post for the count )

08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some of us see MILCs as neither the latest or the greatest of cameras. All of the first film cameras were MILCs and the MILC+EVF design actually dates back 70 years to before WWII with the invention of broadcast television cameras.

To me, the MILC vs. DSLR debate is like the grip versus no-grip debate or the e-dial versus retro labelled dial debate. It's not about game changing innovation as much as it is about personal ergonomic and workflow preferences. Higher pixel rate sensors and better EVFs have made MILCs more feasible of late but they still carry some technical, biophysical, and aesthetic disadvantages (as do DSLRs).

MILCs are not new, they are merely different.
08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The OP just said he created this thread just for self entertainment, possibly while drunk (he is in a bar after all). If that doesn't qualify as the definition of a troll, I don't know what does.

(Usually I'd just ignore, but hey, one more post for the count )
that occurred to me too. The thread was a perfect way to help us reach the necessary number of posts... I mean we still have over 11K to go, but a couple of more threads like that and we are there!
08-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you all
I guess that is that confirms we all have been most entertainingly trolled? I would say well-played except that the move lacked subtlety and innovation.
Score: 2.5 of 10
Perhaps the mods will see fit to close this incredibly strange thread.

Steve

(...did find the Monty Python clips incredibly entertaining...)

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
08-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #83
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess that is that confirms we all have been most entertainingly trolled? I would say well-played except that the move lacked subtlety and innovation.
Score: 2.5 of 10
Perhaps the mods will see fit to close this incredibly strange thread.

Steve

(...did find the Monty Python clips incredibly entertaining...)
Thread closed - but left intact, with edits.

Hey, Bert's done us a favour on the posting numbers for the raffle!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 01:30 PM.
08-23-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #84
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Haha...yeah I fully expected a torrent of abuse. We’ve already seen the standard tropes marched out: move brand, Theta is good, Pentax is niche etc etc

Next we can expect: Mirrorless is rubbish, you’re a Pentax hater, Northrup is a fool and on it will go. Eventually the thread will be closed and I will be banned for anti-Pentax sentiments, while the abusive bullies will carry on their way.

I guess I sorta hoped there were a few members who wanted an intelligent discussion. I don’t know why the abusive people feel the need to post. If you don’t like the topic then change threads.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 03:07 AM ----------

You missed the point Adam. The question is more about the future of photography products, and whether Pentax is able or willing to keep up.

Do you think Nikon developed a new system and their first new lens mount in 50 years because they thought it was a bad idea or was not the correct future direction?

I have no opinion or preferences for Mirrorless over DSLR. I wanted a CIVIL and EDUCATED discussion about the threats Pentax is facing.
Fundamentally, mirrorless isn't a game changer in my opinion. Therefore I don't see it as a threat to Pentax. Mirrorless is just evolved sensor tech combined with the removal of the mirror. There isn't really anything mirrorless lets you do that a DSLR couldn't, assuming the tech is the same (that's not to say there arent pros and cons).

So I think the answer is to wait and see. We are definitely in a sort of a transition period right now. Pentax is innovating it its own way, and as long as that continues there's little reason to be skeptical IMO.

Smartphones, on the other hand, are a threat. I'm sure they have cost Pentax a ton of revenue just as they have the other brands- but now they're countering that with the Theta, which embraces the smartphone trend.
Closed Thread