Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Speaking of that video - Pentax "giving up" doesn't quite match with the release of the D FA* 50mm f/1.4.

08-23-2018, 04:01 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether you know it or not, if you are serious, you’re going about this the wrong way. In the two posts of yours I have read you state you expect bullying responses and you invite the bullies to stay away so you can can have a civil discussion.

By preemptively labeling the Forum members bullies you’ve already declared their responses invalid. You don’t seem to want a discussion. You seem to want your position affirmed and any contrary opinion dismissed in advance, making any discussion at all impossible.

If you aren’t serious, Alinsky would be proud.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-23-2018 at 04:18 AM.
08-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think too much focus is put on trying to keep up with the numbers put up by Canon and Nikon. Pentax is neither, but is a niche brand staying at the top of what they do best. As far as being at the top of the tech pile, as stated , Ricoh has the Theta, and I’ll add the pixel shift to that.

I’m another that has no interest in mirrorless cameras, (beyond my Q) but I’m not here bashing them or any company that makes them. Pentax seems to be making great cameras without a mirror less model.
08-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
civil and educated is what this forum excels in.

This is neither civil nor educated.

Perhaps you would do better if you actually commented on the points raised in the video, and made your own arguments about what you see the issues are with regard to mirrorless and Pentax. Then you will get a proper debate. Your opening post comes across as trrolling.
The number of threads I have observed in which a person’s opinion is openly bullied by regulars is overwhelming. If you think that is civil and educated then fine. From my perspective, if someone here doesn’t say “Pentax is great and I have nothing to offer by way of criticism “, then they are viewed as a hater.

As for my opinion, I thought Northrup had some valid points about the direction the industry is taking. Both Nikon and Canon appear to have recognised this and, after resisting Mirrorless for quite a few years, they are now taking action.

What is Pentax doing? They have released 2 cameras in 2 years (the second of which just incorporated tech from the first). I don’t think they have been so quiet for...well...have they EVER been so quiet?

So, with all the major brands now going Mirrorless, will Pentax survive in a shrinking market? I personally believe that their existing customer base will keep them going for a while.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 04:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I kinda liked the way the Northrups compared Pentax to the old boxing champ. I never knew that Pentax was the biggest 35mm SLR brand back in the sixties. Now a shadow of its former self. It's just a bit sad.

I think that Pentax ignores the MILC market at its own peril. Canon also has some serious catching up to do at the top end of the mirrorless market but at least they have a horse in the race on the consumer side of things.
Thanks for a refreshing opinion. You share my worry, and can see the point of my post.

Yes! Pentax was indeed the heavyweight once. I’m sad too.

08-23-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I wonder if they will push the MP count, after all, with each MP the file size grows and I wonder if the customer base would want huge files or simpler processing.
That's why now the MP count hovers around 24MP for action oriented cameras and 40Mp for still/landscape oriented cameras, and that's why EVF is the new sales driver otherwise what arguments would be to influence camera users to buy something new?
08-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whether you know it or not, if you are serious, you’re going about this the wrong way. In the two posts of yours I have read you state you expect bullying responses and you invite the bullies to stay away so you can can have a civil discussion.

By preemptively labeling the Forum members bullies you’ve already declared their responses invalid. You don’t seem to want a discussion. You seem to want your position affirmed and any contrary opinion dismissed in advance, making any discussion at all impossible.

If you aren’t serious, Alinsky would be proud.
I have observed this forum for a long time. I suggested regulars (like yourself) would be antagonistic because you always are. Your post is no exception. You have attacked me, and not entered into the debate that Tony’s video raises.

Can Pentax afford to be niche?

I read a post of yours a long time ago suggesting that Pentax business model was like Suburu. Do you still feel that way?

Yes. I have observed here for a long time. Finally I am tired of the one-way discussion.
08-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote

So, with all the major brands now going Mirrorless, will Pentax survive in a shrinking market?
Who's to say mirrorless is the direction everyone should be taking?

I view it a bit like the vinyl / CD market. CD was meant to be the format. Yet, the CD format is fast declining in popularity and vinyl is making a serious comeback. Vinyl sales is up for the 12th consecutive year, now comprising around 15% of all physical album sales - and growing.

There's no telling what direction the (shrinking) market will take.

08-23-2018, 04:27 AM   #23

Ricoh Pentax need not worry about the new Nikon Z mirrorless because those have only one card slot! :-D
08-23-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have observed this forum for a long time. I suggested regulars (like yourself) would be antagonistic because you always are. Your post is no exception. You have attacked me, and not entered into the debate that Tony’s video raises.

I read a post of yours a long time ago suggesting that Pentax business model was like Suburu. Do you still feel that way?

Yes. I have observed here for a long time. Finally I am tired of the one-way discussion.
The fact that you declare my polite response an attack merely proves my point.
08-23-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The number of threads I have observed in which a person’s opinion is openly bullied by regulars is overwhelming. If you think that is civil and educated then fine. From my perspective, if someone here doesn’t say “Pentax is great and I have nothing to offer by way of criticism “, then they are viewed as a hater.
That is not how I see this forum. The only time I see hostility is when a new poster appears to be posting just to upset people. ie how your post came across.

What is Pentax doing? They have released 2 cameras in 2 years (the second of which just incorporated tech from the first). I don’t think they have been so quiet for...well...have they EVER been so quiet?

So, with all the major brands now going Mirrorless, will Pentax survive in a shrinking market? I personally believe that their existing customer base will keep them going for a while
Well actually Pentax has released 5 cameras since 2015. Granted the K3II was a upgrade.

The put a lot of effort into a new manufacturing facility for the DFA*50mm1.4. This took time. If further lenses are anything like this quality there is a lot to hope for with future releases.

Pentax will produce what its biggest market (Japan) wants them to produce. At present this is DSLR cameras. The DSLR market will not cease to exist after mirrorless becomes wider used.
08-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I actually don't disagree with much of what they say about mirrorless cameras, that's why I have Pentax & Panasonic cameras.
It's not really news that Pentax isn't in the market for mirrorless cameras.

What I'm curious about though is the number of threads which are being started with statements which are bound to ruffle feathers, this particular thread is pretty mild really, but it's guaranteed to tweak a couple of noses.

There's another thread saying that the senior members favor gear over technique, and that they're horrible photographers.
Another about 'When will Pentax catch up..."
Various others lately.

it kinda seems like trolling as sport.
I’m not trying to ruffle feathers or troll. I just posted a video and asked for opinions and discussion (as opposed to abuse). sheesh
08-23-2018, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm interesting starter Bert, recently the forum had the results of a questionnaire of the members about what they considered to be important for their Pentax gear. Strangely from those responses it seems like Pentax is mostly delivering. We are generally a hopeful , happy group, I hope you catch the vibe.
08-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The fact that you declare my polite response an attack merely proves my point.
I have also been polite my friend. But I have also offered my opinion and invited yours, you have just attacked me.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 04:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Hmm interesting starter Bert, recently the forum had the results of a questionnaire of the members about what they considered to be important for their Pentax gear. Strangely from those responses it seems like Pentax is mostly delivering. We are generally a hopeful , happy group, I hope you catch the vibe.
Thank you Gary.

Will the forum members prop up the Pentax brand alone?

Is this forum a place of worship, or a place for discussion?
08-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps your desire for debate would be answered if you explained why you think they can't?
08-23-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #30

Photos: Albums
I recall a similar situation a few years ago when everyone told me I needed a 3D TV since that was the future of TV viewing. At least I think it was 3D. I can't really remember now. Can anyone remind me what the wave of the future was in TVs?

Sony is eating Nikon and Canon shares at this point. Nikon is responding to compensate. Pentax has a reliable and relatively steady user/fan base. Is it the king like it once was? No. Does it need to be to be profitable? No. Pentax is good at what they do. Good, valuable cameras that offer high end features at an affordable price. They keep true to their customers, don't force them to go out and purchase all new lenses (I'm looking at you Z mount) and allow their user base to organically grow and flourish.

I view Pentax users a lot like early Apple adopters. Not the Apple people today but the early users who were there in the tough times. They had a system they loved and believed in. They defended it to a fault. Even when Microsoft had to save Apple from ruin by investing $150 million, they stood by the company. I'm not an Apple guy by any means but any company that can create that kind of fandom is pretty cool in my opinion. I rank Pentax up there pretty high in that regard. I don't think you'll find another forum like this for Nikon or Canon users. Are the people here defensive about their beloved cameras? Certainly, and that's exactly the kind of thing that keeps a company like Pentax around.
Closed Thread