Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
Yeah but read which article? He contradicts himself a lot...

Also, he thinks his own pictures are the greatest... but a lot of people just make fun of the amount of saturation he puts on them.

08-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think a good photo is one where I get a sense that I'm feeling something of what the photographer felt that made them want to press the shutter.

A bad photo is one that aims only to reproduce the sort of conventional technical elements that get a lot of likes on the internet.
08-23-2018, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

A great photo stirs the soul. Simple as that.
08-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If you need some one else to tell you what a great picture is, what chance do you have of ever taking one. If you can't see a great picture in the wild, can you ever take one?

08-23-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you need some one else to tell you what a great picture is, what chance do you have of ever taking one. If you can't see a great picture in the wild, can you ever take one?
Though I seem to frequently disagree with your take on some things, on this thread, I wholeheartedly agree with both of your posts. And, yes, Ali was the Greatest - not because he said so, but because he did so. As Andrew Carnegie once famously said, "The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do." I frequently tell my kids, "Don't tell me; show me."
08-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The worst photo is the one you didn't take.

But try to avoid this...(sadly not updated since 2016)

You Are Not A Photographer - Exposing Fauxtographers Since 2011
Great post
08-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey let's leave my photographic inability out of this

The question wasn't aimed at someone enlightening us regarding what a good photograph is or isn't, but as to whether there are any parameters that we can actually agree on, considering that photography (and art in general) are so subjective and so dependent on the level of involvement that the viewer has with the subject.

But going back to your question, when I see what the "top pictures" are considered to be the best nowadays - usually full of HDR and other PP exaggerations, I will agree with anyone who says I probably have no idea what a good picture looks like if I ever saw one...

08-23-2018, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a very subjective field. But, the general consensus seems to be a great photograph speaks for itself to the viewer, regardless of the medium, expertise or lack thereof.
08-23-2018, 12:57 PM - 5 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I can sum it up for you...Shoot in P "Professional" mode. Don't shoot RAW, JPEG only, nothing over 6 MP (even if the camera goes to 42 MP). Turn the saturation all the way up in your custom settings...And please give me some money to support my growing family.
08-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The subject of a good or bad image is quite a personal thing. Any particular image will have some say good, some not so good. I would suggest you try this. Next time you see an image that you deem particularly good ask yourself "Why", what is it about the image that stirs that "Good" feeling. Subject, colors, composition, lighting? Be specific. It will give you insight into what You deem good.
08-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
It is a very subjective field. But, the general consensus seems to be a great photograph speaks for itself to the viewer, regardless of the medium, expertise or lack thereof.
While I agree with you, a picture might speak for itself to you, but not to me, or vice-versa, and we're back to not being able to find any consensus on what makes a picture good or bad...

Is this really a case of "what is a treasure for one, might be garbage for the other" as we say in Brazil where I come from?
08-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
While I agree with you, a picture might speak for itself to you, but not to me, or vice-versa, and we're back to not being able to find any consensus on what makes a picture good or bad...

Is this really a case of "what is a treasure for one, might be garbage for the other" as we say in Brazil where I come from? Is it always just completely subjective?
08-23-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Is this really a case of "what is a treasure for one, might be garbage for the other" as we say in Brazil where I come from?
Like any art, there is no singular objective measure, or even a group of objective measures, by which to say one piece of art is good and one is not. There are plenty of examples of modern art on display all over the world - in airports, city parks, museums, office buildings, and the like - and not one piece of it appears to be art to me. Most of it appears to be a hodgepodge of thrown together crap trying to be edgy or trendy or avant garde. And yet, there are folks for whom this kind of art really evokes feeling. The only feeling it evokes for me is nausea. But is it still art? Sure. Anything can be art, if you can get enough people to say it is. That's what subjectivity is all about - enough people declare something to be, and so it is.
08-23-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This depends on your goal. A great field image can merely document the presence of species not yet recorded in an area. It may not be technically great in any sense, but is vitally important.

Art, composition, drama, stories always change. Art is a two-way communication and not everyone values everything identically. What is art, anyway?
08-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Is this really a case of "what is a treasure for one, might be garbage for the other" as we say in Brazil where I come from? Is it always just completely subjective?
And that’s the entire point of art. It is completely subjective. What I find appealing you may find horrendous. No different than painting a house, really. If we all had the same taste we would paint all our houses the same color.