Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...who routinely crops to 3:2?
Me. Original ratio all the way baby... Well, mostly anyway.

08-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you look hard enough, those hobby stores listed also have a selection of frame sides that you mix and match and then put together.

That's the type of frame I like. Made out of metal, Black or silver in color, all different lengths for different size frames. As an example, you can, using the frame parts, make a frame that is 4 inches high and 24 inches long. The drawback is, you have to cut your own mats if you don't make a frame that is a "common" size.
08-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I can usually find something decent on the shelf with matting options, but the selection is probably 10:1 in favor of the 4:3 format. Did Fuji and Olympus just sell a tone of cameras to create this phenomenon or is there an obvious industry reason I am ignorant of?
They're just targeting all the Pentax Q system users out there!
08-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for input. I do see no shortage of 4x6 and 5x7 of course, but it is a mixed bag after that. Historical precedent is funny.

08-26-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 645D and 645Z have 4:3 ratio sensors; K-1 and APS-C Pentax cameras have 3:2 ratio; Pentax Q at full resolution is 4:3.
08-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Pentax 645D and 645Z have 4:3 ratio sensors; K-1 and APS-C Pentax cameras have 3:2 ratio; Pentax Q at full resolution is 4:3.
So, this was part of what I was thinking about- did the 645 medium format market drive landscape photography at some point that the 4:3 became a dominant size for large prints? I was told at one point that if you were a professional film landscape photographer, you were shooting medium format. I don't know what John Fielder, Thomas Mangelsen, or any of the other old commercially successful western landscape guys have traditionally shot with, though I think Ansel Adams used 6x6. I suppose most professionals crop the majority of their images, so it isn't necessarily that big of a driver though.
08-26-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

On a related note, if you find that you need a custom mat size, try this site:
Bux1 Picture Matting

I had a set of six photos I wanted to frame, and the aspect ratio needed to be something unusual in order to fit the six spaces on my wall that I had available. I found some frames that worked well, but couldn't find any pre-cut mats for 14x18 frames, and custom mats looked really expensive until I found that site. The end result turned out just like I wanted, and their prices were pretty good compared to all the hobby stores around my area.

08-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

5:4 not 4:3 is more common.
08-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, this was part of what I was thinking about- did the 645 medium format market drive landscape photography at some point that the 4:3 became a dominant size for large prints? I was told at one point that if you were a professional film landscape photographer, you were shooting medium format. I don't know what John Fielder, Thomas Mangelsen, or any of the other old commercially successful western landscape guys have traditionally shot with, though I think Ansel Adams used 6x6. I suppose most professionals crop the majority of their images, so it isn't necessarily that big of a driver though.
I believe Ansel Adams used a variety of film formats, perhaps mostly 8x10 sheet film (4:5 ratio). Large format cameras start with 4x5-inch sheet film. 5x7-inch cameras were favored with high end landscape photographers, too. This ratio was very popular for landscape photography. I wanted a 5x7 view camera for a long time but never could afford one. I would have been relegated to 5x7 contact printing, though, because then you have to buy a 5x7 or larger enlarger.

The 645 and 67 medium formats originate from the 120 format for roll film. 645 was shorthand for 6 x 4.5 cm, with a 3:2.22222 ratio; 67 was for 6 x 7 cm, with a ratio of 4:3.33333. The 6x7 is closer to square (1:1 ratio) than 645.
08-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
5:4 not 4:3 is more common.
You are probably right. I think it may be my perception based on the size range I have been printing in. Looking over the more exhaustive catalog, 5:4 does seem to pop up a lot.
All that withstanding, I am still surprised 2:3 has not made more headway in framing choices.
08-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think that Michaels does classes on matting and framing for a reasonable charge if you want to learn a few techniques that you may not have in your personal tool box, then I think you can use their cutters when you need to make matts as long as you buy the materials there. If you are going to do a lot of framing, take up woodworking and buy glass and a good router and make your own.
08-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are probably right. I think it may be my perception based on the size range I have been printing in. Looking over the more exhaustive catalog, 5:4 does seem to pop up a lot.
All that withstanding, I am still surprised 2:3 has not made more headway in framing choices.
It is inertia. The old glass plate sizes stuck, then the print sizes following that stuck, then frame and mat sizes dictated what you print, etc.

What I find most economical is to get standard mats to fit the size prints and frames I can get easily. So for 13x19 prints - I get 16x24 frames and 12.5x18.5 or 12x18 mat openings that fit the 16x24 frame or whatever size I find looks good. Hobby Lobby and many hobby stores do computerized custom mats cheaply if you have to go that route but I find bulk packs are another option. 11x14 frame size with an 8x10 opening for example.
08-27-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Must also say that the 8x10 ratio is still what works best for portraits. Which kind of explain with this ratio is still highly use compared to native ratio. I guess that, by a large margin, most frame sold are for portraits...
08-27-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I have often printed 3x2, for 30x20 canvases. My theory has always been use a zoom, frame tight, make the most use of your resolution. Cropping means throwing away pixels. I hate throwing away anything useful.
08-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Is it possible that it is the image ratio most smartphones are using?

I think most people have smartphones, but not many can afford printers, and computers with extra digital storage space, especially in my part of the world. They perhaps print special or family photos, as either backup or for general displaying at home, and as the standard ration is 4:3, it would makes sense. Don't many stores have small self help type of basic printers, setup for such a market, as they do in my part of the world?