Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sometimes do that when my older brother shows me photos. He has all kinds of professional video experience, for 30 years. He knows how to take a decent still photo. But a lot of the time, he doesn't. I don't ask why, I just try not to wince outwardly.

He has a Samyang 10mm f2.8 that he bought to take real estate shots. I explained his lens options to him and that's what he got. I see him once a year so I ask to try it out. Focus isn't all that easy through the viewfinder so I try it out in live view. And he says "Oh, I forgot you could do that."

He would say the same about my video skills but I already know my videos all suck.

08-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Have you ever wanted to face palm yourself when looking through another photographers work?
Yes and sometimes my own when I make a stupid mistake!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I've been to photographic exhibitions that would have been vastly improved with a few liters of petrol and a lit match.
Amen to this.

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Unfortunately yes. Being the "house" photographer for a venue, I take photos at all weddings (albeit not the entire wedding) at the venue. I catch myself having to resist telling other togs you should shoot from this angle, use bounce flash here or something else. After shooting numerous events at this venue, I do have the advantage of experience there. However I have seen the same photographers there before making the same questionable decisions on numerous occasions. I just look at the situation as job security.
That shows remarkable restraint but you are right you do have home field advantage - and probably a little more skill.

As to 800+ photos. First I would have culled out all the bad shots or cropped the bad out if possible. The only shots delivered should be the ones that meet your standards. Second - I would have culled down to a rational number - perhaps 100 - of the best representations and then had more on standby - to present if they wanted to see more.

My daughter has a friend who thinks she can edit photos and give them a "natural" look. The reality is that she isn't very good at it and my daughter who is and has a good eye knows this and facepalms every time this friend tries to edit photos.
08-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where I live there are a lot of galleries. Sometimes someone has enough money to rent the whole gallery for a few months. Need I say more.
08-26-2018, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
There are a lot of bad photos in the world but the ones that upset me the most are the ones that are so close. Just a slight shift of the frame, subject distance, focal length, subject positioning, etc. could have made the image so much better.
I'm with you, Photoptimist, it's the wasted opportunities that for me are the face palm moments.

Why didn't I take a second frame without part of the car in the foreground, why didn't I just wave at that person to get them looking in my direction, etc.

08-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not too long ago I came across an add from a "professional photographer" who I don't think has ever done a wedding. Anyhow, they advertised that they would shoot the wedding for $xxx and at the end of the day, give the SD card to the couple.

That right there was a face palm moment that gave me a headache....
08-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Have you ever wanted to face palm yourself when looking through another photographers work?

There is another thread on here talking about what is a good photo versus a bad photo and that is not what I am asking. Good and bad are subjective to each person and what one person thinks is good could be bad in the eyes of another. Yet, when you talk about good and bad, there is also the technical side to the matter. The rule of thirds, composition, lighting and so on. The rules are many when it comes to this.

Please, don't construe what I am about to say as if I am a better photographer. If I am a good or great photographer is still out for debate, and will be for a long time to come. I do though, have a grasp of composition and thirds, still working on lighting..

Now here is the situation. I had a cousin (2ed cousin) get marred a couple of months ago. I was unable to go due to things with my father. In the last two months my cousin has posted on Facebook teasers photos that the photographer has given them. About 3 weeks ago, the photographer gave my cousin all 884 photos that were taken at the wedding. So, because I couldn't go, I started looking through the photos. Well, I made it through around 150 photos and I wanted to face palm myself hard enough to forget what I saw and my blood pressure was going up trying to stop myself.

About 5 pictures in, there was a photo that I think was the wedding rings with the boutique. It was had to tell because everything was out of focus. The next 2 or 3 pictures was also out of focus. Moving on, I came across some photos of the bride and the bridesmaids sitting on a couch. Posed photo and it looked nice...or it would have been if the photographer had taken the photo horizontal and not vertical. There was about 8 photos of this scene and all were vertical. Yeah sure, why not have a nice photo with about 30 foot of headroom.

There is another photo that would be a great photo of the bride and groom holding each other and looking in to each others eyes. The photographer cut the back of the brides head and her back off. Well, there goes another good picture.

As I was going through the photos, I did see some that were nice photos but the majority came under the what were you thinking category. And to be honest, like I said, I did not look at all 884 photos so there could very well be some photos that are perfect and great.

What makes all this that much more funnier to me is, I went over to my aunts house, (my cousins Grandmother) And we got to talking about the photos. I am not kidding when I say this. My aunt told me that she didn't think much of the photos that she looked at too.

What about you? Have you ever had a time where you have wanted to face palm yourself?
This sounds like sometimes when i look at my own photos and think what the f... was i thinking?

Jokes aside, yes i have also seen some wedding photos that seemed to be taken by an amateur (he gave the married couple a few thousand photos that were probably sooc).
This is a guy that collaborates with a well known wedding venue in the city were i grew up.
08-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have to grit my teeth when I look at the photos of my daughter’s wedding. The tog used a 5DIII and on the day looked to be doing a reasonable job. But the photos... often flat and unimaginative, with a kind of coarse noisy brown cast to them and a scattergun approach to vignetting that caught almost every shot. The happy couple were satisfied with them, but me? No.
08-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #23
Forum Member

I have seen hung pictures so bad they they were good(i dont know if you understand me)!