Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
For me, if the camera was too big and heavy and became a problem to carry, it would get left at home. Typically there's nothing to see on my mundane commute a few miles to and from the same office, so it almost seemed silly to be carrying a camera daily, but then every now and then, I would have the scenario where I really wish I had a camera. So the quest became what would fit into something I was already carrying with me as I headed out the door, and also not to look like I'm carrying camera equipment, as I walk into meetings etc. No one questions or thinks twice about my leather messenger bag. It looks professional and fits where I am in the organization (senior IT management). So no, not that I like my bag that much, but what would work and satisfy requirements for being easy to carry and be something I would be happy with the photos from.
I have 30x20 prints made with this camera's predecessors, and being shock proof, I carry it in a pocket.

I recently did my usual thing and got the Nikon equivalent because it was the best price. Big mistake, it's a piece of junk that only gets touched to make sure the battery is charged. I reach for my 4 generations old pentax instead most of the time. The Pentax is designed to make it really hard to get your fingers in front of the lens. Other manufacturers, not so much.

WG-50

Notice the weird Nikon colours. It's in the lower leg pocket of my guiding pants, (zip off legs with extra pockets) for times like this. We're on the move, have a day ahead of us. Pull the camera out shoot, put it back. Get on with the job, easy peasy.

I'm sure it would also fit quite nicely in your bag, although it might be a little hard to find.

Last edited by normhead; 08-27-2018 at 08:01 AM.
08-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Olympus rugged waterproof camera is also good. I got my mom to buy the Ricoh. Another friend has the Olympus. Both are excellent.
08-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

When I don't feel carrying a DSLR but want better than smartphone IQ, I bring my Q7 kit.
08-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I always have my Canon G7xii in my shirt pocket.

08-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have my camera with me almost always, sometimes a dslr, sometimes film. Today I have the km with fa 43.

I have a think tank perception 15 as my daily backpack. It has two camera/ lens pouches, some room for the lunch box, and a laptop compartment. It's a relatively small bag for the subway and walking around, so it's easy to take the camera with me as all I need fits in one bag.
08-27-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
No, if cellphones does not count, but why excude them?
Just because it seems everyone has a phone with a camera in it, and i was thinking it would be more interesting to be more focused on dedicated camera gear and the effort specifically to carry gear versus something everyone has in their pocket.
08-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All very interesting hearing the different cameras and reinforces what I expected, which is there is a great variety of gear out there that can give great results, but the most important thing is having something!

08-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cell phones don't count? Pity!

I used to carry an Olympus XA as a backup to my digital and as my "he who has no camera gets no photo" camera, but since the phone is so much handier, the XA sits on the dresser top.

Steve
08-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest the only camera I always have with me is my phone but if I know there will be an opportunity I usually reach for K-01 with DA15.
Back in the day it was a Rollei 35, an absolute jewel.
08-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't carry one around, but I do try to have one in the trunk of my car. Lately it's the K-01. I'll probably take it out for the winter though.
08-27-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cell phones don't count? Pity!

I used to carry an Olympus XA as a backup to my digital and as my "he who has no camera gets no photo" camera, but since the phone is so much handier, the XA sits on the dresser top.

Steve
Where I go, "he who has no camera rugged enough to handle the bumps, grinds and moisture has no photo."

In the ~40 trips I've done the last 8 years, I've had a Canon failure and a Nikon failure by clients who were paying me $120 a day to get them to photo locations and had premium gear that just wasn't rugged enough.
08-27-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

I don't always carry a camera. I'd like to. It's not convenient. I dont' want to leave it in the car, it will get too hot, I can't bring it with me, too bulky. I need to look at some small light camera cases. I have a K-5 and a K110D.
08-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I pretty much just shoot on Saturday mornings, so I only bring a camera for that intended purpose. I'm not one for spontaneous, "look at that alien spacecraft" or "hey, it's Bigfoot!"-type shots.
08-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I do usually throw a basic dslr kit in my car, but unless I'm specifically planning to photograph something I care about, it often stays in the car. I will sometimes take a Nikon J1 + 10mm prime just 'in case' as its significantly nicer to use than a phone and still fits comfortably in a pocket.
08-27-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

When I have my camera on me, I'm in a different mindset - I'm thinking about photography, and I can't fully focus on the smell and the sound, etc of the world around me.
I *would* take my camera more often if it were lighter - but even my phone (which you said doesn't count) gets left behind sometimes.

Capturing the moment, and being in the moment aren't very compatible for me, I'm afraid.