Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you always carry a camera? What? Cell phones don't count

Do you always carry a camera? What did you pick? Why? And no, I'm not counting cell phones for this!

I decided last fall I wanted something I could always have in a leather messenger bag that started off life following me to work and for simplicity now gets grabbed whenever I go out the door. My K3 II just didn't fit and seemed too much. I ended up grabbing a Sony a6000 on a special from B&H with the Sony 16-50 lens and a deep discount on the 55-210 that seems to get offered frequently as an add on with that base a6000 kit. I was attracted to having the APS-C size sensor, being able to use my Pentax lenses if desired with an affordable adapter, and the general size and weight fit what I was willing to lug. I really don't need a lot in my leather bag, so I joke I have a small camera kit I carry to work and manage to fit a few other items into.

Of course, a combination of GAS and curiosity landed a Q-S1 in my lap this past spring. It is starting to go for rides in the bag too. Just depends on my mood.

So, where have you all landed on carrying a camera daily?

08-27-2018, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Ricoh GR.
08-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

If I'm out with the intention of decent photography then its one of my Pentax's, I always have in the car and ready a Fuji X100s its a fixed lens but its APSC and the low light quality is superb as well as normal light.

Chris
08-27-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always have a camera, but what I have can change from day to day. Usually it's a two camera kit, such as: K-1 & LX or K3 & Voigtlander Bessa L or Q10 & Spotmatic SP, or any combination thereof.

08-27-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Locally, no. If there;s a good opportunity, I'll go specially armed, but otherwise I'll make a mental note and go back some other time.

in a location I've not seen before or am unlikely to see again - usually - but not always if the focus is social - photography is very anti-social
08-27-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

K-3 or K-1. Period.
I have an assortment of camera bags that means I have the right size bag for what I want to carry that day.
I certainly wouldn't consider buying a camera to fit a bag. And I insist on the padding you get in camera bags that are made to be camera bags. I even add extra padding if I feel the padding is insufiecient. II don't see camera bags as part of my fashion accessories.

I have several small compact bags just big enough for a K-1 or K-3 with a standard zoom lens, a macro lens, and the DA 55-300. I'd be nervous going anywhere with less. Our Q rarely gets used. It's still pretty much a novelty item. My XG-1 gets used more often.

Going to a specific shoot I may take one of my bigger lenses DA*200 or DA* 60-250 or even my Tamron 300 2.8. Only the Tamron needs it's own bag.

Last edited by normhead; 08-27-2018 at 07:24 AM.
08-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I always have a camera, but what I have can change from day to day. Usually it's a two camera kit, such as: K-1 & LX or K3 & Voigtlander Bessa L or Q10 & Spotmatic SP, or any combination thereof.
It's so easy to forget some really nice film cameras and how compact they can be!
08-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Do you always carry a camera? What did you pick? Why? And no, I'm not counting cell phones for this!
Yes I do.
Lately, my choice has been the KP with the DA15, 20-40, and 55mm.
I just love how they make me work XD

08-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I certainly wouldn't consider buying camera to fit a bag. I guess i just don't have any bags I like hot much.
For me, if the camera was too big and heavy and became a problem to carry, it would get left at home. Typically there's nothing to see on my mundane commute a few miles to and from the same office, so it almost seemed silly to be carrying a camera daily, but then every now and then, I would have the scenario where I really wish I had a camera. So the quest became what would fit into something I was already carrying with me as I headed out the door, and also not to look like I'm carrying camera equipment, as I walk into meetings etc. No one questions or thinks twice about my leather messenger bag. It looks professional and fits where I am in the organization (senior IT management). So no, not that I like my bag that much, but what would work and satisfy requirements for being easy to carry and be something I would be happy with the photos from.
08-27-2018, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR or K3 and 20-40, but I know we're told we should always carry a camera, it's just that when I'm carrying one I do tend to be in 'taking shots mode' and I miss things. My observation 'powers' change. Yes I may miss the great shot, but I see much more. I remember standing recently with my camera hanging by my side keenly watching a deer playing (and it did seem to be playing), when another photographer passed by and was incredulous I wasn't shooting away. Somehow, I feel the memory, watching the deer's antics out-weighed trying to record it.

And another instance comes to mind. I was taking shots in a wood surrounded by bluebells, when 3 leverets raced past. Eventually they became used to me standing there. I'd giving up taking shots as my photographic interest had dissipated as I became focused watching the hares, which by now were tumbling around a few feet from me. Two glorious early morning hours passed watching them race around the bluebells. No photos, but fantastic memory.

So no, I often choose to not take a camera or keep it in its bag.

Last edited by BarryE; 08-27-2018 at 09:16 AM.
08-27-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been carrying a camera with me for over forty years now - not for the "art", but for the "history". My POV is that I'm recording my world as it is today before tomorrow comes and everything changes. I don't always follow that dictum; near where I was raised as a child, there was a dangerous railroad crossing where the road went over a six-plus foot "hump" to cross the tracks ..... I never did photograph that, and the last time I was in the area, the hump I'd known for sixty years was gone {they'd artfully raised the road}

But getting back to your question - sometimes I do depend on my smart phone these days - I specifically chose it because of the camera - and sometimes I carry my Q-7 with me.
08-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I bring a backpack or bag I often bring a "real" camera with me.
Usually it is Sony A7 with a set of Pentax manual focus prime lenses. (m42 or K-mount).
08-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

my K-3 goes with me everywhere, no matter the trip or reason...

period

you can never go back and get the shot... I've missed too many shots and learned that the hard way...
08-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

No, if cellphones does not count, but why excude them?
I use for quick videos and snapshots about my family or just my son if I want to get an image about what we did on that day. I also photograph interesting lighting conditions with my cellphone if that is the only camera with me. If I wouldn't have a cellphone camera I would carry my KP more, so I think cellphones should count too.
08-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I go hot and cold on this. I try to toss my lx7 into the car when going anywhere but not always. When I walk in my neighborhood I try to take it or my m43 body and a lens.