Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 05:45 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have been a Canon User for the past 20 years or so. Prior to that I was Nikon User(still am). I moved not switched to Pentax about 10 years ago. Actually 8 years to be exact. I love Photography first, so even if Pentax, Nikon, or Canon went out of business I would probably go Olympus, Sony, or Fuji. Since I have experience in all 3 system here is what I found.

Nikon: is like the Swiss Army Knife of Cameras. There is a longer learning curve than most other cameras due to their complexity. Nikon cameras have a lot of buttons. Good thing because if you had to go through their Menu's you might get easily lost. Nikon despite all of their buttons and Menus, usually keeps the same design formula for all of their Models. This means the placement of buttons in their different models does not vary very much. Meaning that you can easily move up to a higher model without having to re-learn the entire system. Nikon as usual, incorporates many Pro and Specialized features into their cameras as they have always been doing.

Canon: Canon is the richest of all the major camera manufacturers so they can spend HUGE amounts of money on Marketing and Customer service. Canon cameras usually lag Nikon when it comes to sophisticated features. Due to the many different models they offer, they have a tendency to shave-off features from their lower models, so as not to cannibalize sales of their higher-earning Flag-Ship models. This policy has caused a lot of consternation among Canon users, feeling that they are being left behind when it comes to features and modernization.Canon is like the grumpy old man who is slow to change preferring stability. One thing Canon got going for it though, is their lenses ! Another is their home-made digital sensors and color-science that many prefer to the sensors made by Sony as far as rendering is concerned. So despite all of the features that Nikon offers, Canon can still swallow up a huge percentage of the Market due to those factors and some photographers even prefer the simplicity of their cameras.

Pentax: When it comes to " a Photographers camera manufacturer", Pentax is it ! Pentax cameras are more intuitive( all the buttons are in the right place), plus they are more fun to use. They have a pretty low learning curve... They offer common-sense features that a lot of photographer might find useful. Their high-end cameras are better made than their counterparts and are build to last, not to mention their L series lenses. I call Pentax higher-end cameras "the poor-man's Leica" although I never owned a Leica. A better way to explain it would be like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Honda Accord LX. Although the Malibu is a very nice car, the Honda just kicks its butt in so many little ways. Unfortunately, Pentax is the least financial successful of the three. When was the last time you saw an Ad in a photo magazine for Pentax ? Most people are ignorant about Pentax, they only go by what they hear. I stumbled onto Pentax myself when I was looking for a rugged camera to replace my "digital Brownie" Canon 5D. At first I was looking at the Olympus E3, but when I compared the features between the E3 and the K5 I decided to go Pentax. Good thing I did, because the E3 is now obsolete.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 05-30-2020 at 04:22 PM.
05-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite system after Pentax was probably my Mamiya 645 film camera. I had it for maybe 3 years.

For digital, I have
my Nikon 120 AW, but I prefer a 7 years older Pentax Optio W90. I bought the Nikon but used it one year and ditched it.
My Panasonic ZS100, is still undergoing trials, but it has so far way to much internal processing going on. Everything looks over processed, and diffraction kicks in way to soon.
05-29-2020, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I call Pentax higher-end cameras "the poor-man's Leica" although I never owned a Leica....
Given the prices of the new high quality Pentax lenses, it won't be long before Leica becomes the poor man's Pentax
06-07-2020, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Given the prices of the new high quality Pentax lenses, it won't be long before Leica becomes the poor man's Pentax
You get what you pay for

Maybe get a Leica as a backup or second system?

06-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
(Laughs)

They have a long way to go. Check out the price of the new Pentax DFA* 85mm f1.4, then look at this ...

Leica Summilux-M 90mm f/1.5 ASPH. Lens 11678 B&H Photo Video