Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I'll have to go with Panasonic right now...my GX85 is a fun little camera

12-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None, other than a Fuji waterproof camera.
12-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am still watching a Fuji x100 on eBay talk about beating myself up! I can't justify it but its really nice and interesting! GAS sucks
12-20-2019, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

I have been coveting looking at the Fujifilm XE2/XE3 and Sony A7II/A7III lately...

12-28-2019, 09:19 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
I honestly believe the question is phrased improperly. Brand doesn't make a hill-of-beans difference in the outcome, for the most part.
As a multiple system shooter myself, I understand where you're coming from. However, certain camera brands are synonymous with a specific style/type of camera form factor: Do you associate Leica with thick monolithic medium format SLRs with the ergonomics of a concrete cinderblock? Do you associate Nikon with svelte, minimalist pocketable auto-focus rangefinder* style camera with a voluminous lens catalog? I don't think anyone here does**. Leica is well known for clean but striking modernist camera design with classically German over-engineered rangefinders. Nikon Is well known for robust,reliable SLR cameras built with a functional Japanese post-modernist/industrial design aesthetic.

Each camera manufacturer brings tangible style, functional and ergonomic benefits which appeal to different people. It isn't the brand so much as the features and qualities of the cameras that make them more suitable to different photographic scenarios.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
If you are shooting only one brand of camera, you are leaving a lot of fun on the table.
I couldn't agree more, but not everyone has the coin*** to fund an alternate system. Some people don't have the time to invest in learning how to work with a new camera, or wouldn't get enough use out of the camera to justify the purchase in the first place.

* I'll fight fair, the Nikon SP is a lovely compact rangefinder camera - but it has been discontinued for quite a while and has been absent from the consumer zeitgeist for even longer.
** at least, not yet. I'm sure they are working on increasing the number of lenses for the Z system, they better get a move on to regain the marketing momentum they have already lost.
*** or spousal approval.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-29-2019 at 04:19 AM.
12-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #51
Pentaxian

this past year I have started a small 'camera collection'....to avoid a hodge podge (which happened anyways) decided to go with Yashica to get a wide variety of styles & formats that is fairly inexpensive…..

so that would be my other 'system' which includes c/y & m42 mount slrs, 35mm rangefinders and a few MF TLRs
01-09-2020, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i have been enjoying my lumix m4/3, it's a nice combination of size and capability.
i enjoyed my RB67 in my younger days, i think it's time to load up some ektar and the WLV and take it back out for a a spin.

01-10-2020, 01:21 PM - 4 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always carry a "Superzoom" to get reach during my travels. Right now, I'm using a Canon G3X with great delight. This 8,8 to 220,0 mm zoom lens is the most complicated piece of optics I own and it is very sharp up to 150 mm (about a 400 mm FF equivalent).

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-09-2020 at 06:29 AM.
01-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Yashica

building my vintage camera collection

TLRs, RFs, M42s, C/Y mount

then Sears & Ricoh
01-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Until what ISO do you go the ones using the m43 system? I would like an easier, less bulky ML system for travel, hiking, cycling. But I use KP exclusively (rarely KS2), at this moment, KP we all know that it behaves excellent at high ISO values. Choosing an ML system, I wouldn't want to go back to the ISO limitations I had with K7. Perhaps, though, Ricoh's are thinking of announcing that they will start working on a new ML. For me it would be the preferred option.
01-11-2020, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Until what ISO do you go the ones using the m43 system? I would like an easier, less bulky ML system for travel, hiking, cycling. But I use KP exclusively (rarely KS2), at this moment, KP we all know that it behaves excellent at high ISO values. Choosing an ML system, I wouldn't want to go back to the ISO limitations I had with K7. Perhaps, though, Ricoh's are thinking of announcing that they will start working on a new ML. For me it would be the preferred option.
MFT is more compact. I love my GX85 kit. I keep it at low ISO though. It does high enough for anything I need. I rarely find myself needing above 3200 even with my K1.

The KP is no slouch for compactness either if you exclusivity match it with the small primes
01-12-2020, 01:23 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I have lots of lenses in PK, PKA and lots more with various KAF mounts. I have been thinking about:
1. buying a Sony full-frame mirrorless with an adapter as a second and smaller camera to take my PK and PKA lenses,
2. a Sony/Fuji APS-C mirrorless as a second travel camera (but losing AF) and not really gaining anything in image quality over my K-70,
3. or just using my Lumix TZ55 (20x zoom) in my pocket at settings ISO 400 and Aperture Priority on F8 and relying on the K-70 for anything where I need to control what I get.

I think I have too much available coin??
01-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Canon M6 + EF-M 22 or 32 prime lenses. But might ditch the 32 and get a sigma 56.
01-16-2020, 01:15 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I have lots of lenses in PK, PKA and lots more with various KAF mounts. I have been thinking about:
1. buying a Sony full-frame mirrorless with an adapter as a second and smaller camera to take my PK and PKA lenses,
2. a Sony/Fuji APS-C mirrorless as a second travel camera (but losing AF) and not really gaining anything in image quality over my K-70,
3. or just using my Lumix TZ55 (20x zoom) in my pocket at settings ISO 400 and Aperture Priority on F8 and relying on the K-70 for anything where I need to control what I get.

I think I have too much available coin??
Option one will give you all of the full frame goodness that your old school PK and PKA lenses have been designed for.
01-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have been coveting looking at the [...] Sony A7II/A7III lately...
Same here, not that I could justify the spend. Especially as I'm mostly using legacy primes these days.