Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Congrats. Very interesting and well done

08-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice article, very nice pictures and a fantastic cause!
08-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
Forum Member

Great photos! Congratulations.

08-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! And great shots.

08-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, Very nice work!
08-29-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Wonderful portraits. "Buddy" is particularly striking and obese "Clarice" gave me a laugh. Congrats!
Glad you like them! But Clarice isn't obese. She's tiny under that heavy wool coat. I photographed her a few weeks before she was shorn for the spring season.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Well done. Freddy and Travis is my favourite.
They are very dapper fellas. They were rescued from a school hatching project. (After the chickens were hatched and some turned out to be roosters, no one wanted them so they were going to be killed. That's the fate of many roosters. But someone stepped in and arranged for them to be brought to the Sanctuary. They are best friends with a pig named Jasmine.)
08-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Glad you like them! But Clarice isn't obese. She's tiny under that heavy wool coat. I photographed her a few weeks before she was shorn for the spring season.
My apologies to Clarice. Tell her, no offense meant.

08-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
My apologies to Clarice. Tell her, no offense meant.
She's a sweetheart. I'm sure she didn't take offense

I also would like to encourage Pentaxians who pursue fine art photography to consider entering Critical Mass, if you have a strong body of work and would like to get exposure for it across a wide range of photo editors, publishers, gallery owners, curators and similar professionals. As I mentioned in the original post, this publishing opportunity came up because one of the Critical Mass jurors remembered my work and wanted to write about it.

Even the process of selecting and sequencing the 10-image portfolio and writing the statement is a good exercise in and of itself.

There is a two-step process:
- In the first stage, you pay about USD $75 to enter Critical Mass. Your work will be seen by about 25 pre-screening jurors and they will select the 200 Finalists.
- If you make it the Finalist Stage and you choose to go forward, you pay $200 and your portfolio is seen by all 200 jurors (and you receive a small print from the Critical Mass Collecting Initiative). The 200 jurors then select the Top 50.

There are only a few "prizes" awarded among the Top 50, but Critical Mass is really about exposure, not awards. The portfolios of the Top 50 are published on Photolucida's website (there is an archive going back almost 15 years), and professionals, educators and others often access that website when looking for topics, story ideas, artists, etc.

Even you don't make the Top 200, your work is seen by 20+ jurors. And if you make the Top 200, it is seen by 200 jurors. They retain an archive (for each year they participate) of thumbnail-sized images of your work, plus your statement, and they may go back to your work and contact you about opportunities (like articles, shows, etc.)

Unlike a traditional, face-to-face portfolio review, there is no guarantee that you will receive detailed feedback from each juror. Jurors, however, can opt to provide feedback and Finalists receive that written feedback at the end of the process.

Find out more here:
Critical Mass | Photolucida
08-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
She's a sweetheart. I'm sure she didn't take offense

I also would like to encourage Pentaxians who pursue fine art photography to consider entering Critical Mass, if you have a strong body of work and would like to get exposure for it across a wide range of photo editors, publishers, gallery owners, curators and similar professionals. As I mentioned in the original post, this publishing opportunity came up because one of the Critical Mass jurors remembered my work and wanted to write about it.

Even the process of selecting and sequencing the 10-image portfolio and writing the statement is a good exercise in and of itself.

There is a two-step process:
- In the first stage, you pay about USD $75 to enter Critical Mass. Your work will be seen by about 25 pre-screening jurors and they will select the 200 Finalists.
- If you make it the Finalist Stage and you choose to go forward, you pay $200 and your portfolio is seen by all 200 jurors (and you receive a small print from the Critical Mass Collecting Initiative). The 200 jurors then select the Top 50.

There are only a few "prizes" awarded among the Top 50, but Critical Mass is really about exposure, not awards. The portfolios of the Top 50 are published on Photolucida's website (there is an archive going back almost 15 years), and professionals, educators and others often access that website when looking for topics, story ideas, artists, etc.

Even you don't make the Top 200, your work is seen by 20+ jurors. And if you make the Top 200, it is seen by 200 jurors. They retain an archive (for each year they participate) of thumbnail-sized images of your work, plus your statement, and they may go back to your work and contact you about opportunities (like articles, shows, etc.)

Unlike a traditional, face-to-face portfolio review, there is no guarantee that you will receive detailed feedback from each juror. Jurors, however, can opt to provide feedback and Finalists receive that written feedback at the end of the process.

Find out more here:
Critical Mass | Photolucida
That's really interesting thank you.