Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,072
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Every field has people like this, which is unfortunate since good constructive criticism is one of the best ways to learn.
All too true. The abuse takes many forms, from outright screaming to subtle digs at your ability. I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.

08-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
All too true. The abuse takes many forms, from outright screaming to subtle digs at your ability. I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.
I assisted several college writing classes and saw many talented people lose interest because they had a Loser that would constantly dig on their work. Then, when you looked at Loser's work, you realized that person had little to no talent but had personalities that required they bring people around them down so they didn't feel too bad.
08-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,072
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I assisted several college writing classes and saw many talented people lose interest because they had a Loser that would constantly dig on their work. Then, when you looked at Loser's work, you realized that person had little to no talent but had personalities that required they bring people around them down so they didn't feel too bad.
I don't know that they necessarily feel bad. I think they're addicted to making others feel bad. They love it.
08-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I don't know that they necessarily feel bad. I think they're addicted to making others feel bad. They love it.
People like this are very toxic to those around them. I’ve had a couple in my life, as we all likely have. You never really feel good enough around them.

Sorry for hijacking this thread!

09-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,379
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And I've had the uneducated complain about the lack of use of the rule of thirds in my images
I particularly like when a greenhorn gives an old codger like me a lesson on the rule of third.

Not enough consideration is given to the fact that taking photos converts three dimensional motives into two dimensional images. Clever framing, light and DOF consideration can rescue some of that lost one third dimension.

The best compliment I can give or receive; “This pic almost looks three dimensional.”


Cheers
09-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #36
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Breaking the rules works, when breaking the rules adds to the story. It doesn't matter whether that's done intentionally or not, but if the artist is able to break in the rules in a way that adds to the story, breaking the rules can make a picture much more interesting. But few people have a natural eye for that (I certainly don't), so knowing the rules will help you break them when you need to, and allow you to take better photographs.
Back in the 80s, I struck up a conversation with the director of education for a photography school. I asked him what the one bit of advice he could give that would make a beginner a better photographer. He thought about it and said, "Know the rule of thirds, and only break it on purpose."
I thought that was good, simple and succinct advice.
09-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #37
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 39,446
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I'm quite a Salieri myself too
Hey... I've got enough problems just being a Kerrowdown.
09-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,292
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.
I wrote an email to someone recently because I was worried that the "Loser" in our lives may have had an effect on this person's view of his abilities. Unfortunately, in this case, Loser was a manager who had control over people's careers. A couple of decades earlier, I'd had my own struggles with Loser. I used to wonder what was wrong with me and why my work wasn't being noticed. So I went to the best workshops I could find...sought out more experienced opinions...and learned that there really wasn't all that much wrong with me, but there was a LOT wrong with Loser! My message to my friend was simply, "Don't let this person determine your worth."

09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tirana
Posts: 66
Original Poster
Thank you guys for your input, it really means a lot to realize this is a normal process/approach in the creative process.
By the way i stumbled upon this paradigm called "analysis paralysis", check it out, it is exactly the thing we were talking about!
09-17-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NoVA
Posts: 401
The thing to remember is that Salieri-as-villain is fiction. Salieri was extremely influential in purely artistic terms, and his conflict with Mozart was ended by the time Mozart became established in Vienna. After that, they collaborated and were, at the least, mutually respectful colleagues.

Personally, I’d be happy to be a Salieri. I do not need to be a Mozart.

I’m also a mediocre musician. (“Dedicated but untalented” might be a better description.) But I have a good ear for the music I hear, and even professionals trust my opinions in that regard. And I have developed a basic technical competency. I’m happy to be a critic, if the role of critic is to expand horizons. Only a poor critic is negative about what he doesn’t understand, and there is much I don’t understand about new music (and photography) that gets praised critically.

I could get depressed about my own mediocrity, or recognize that my technical accomplishments have given me the tools of appreciation that have enriched my life. The most difficult job artists have is editing their own work.

One more thing: Ansel Adams made tens of thousands of photos in his long career. Only hundreds of them are seen in public. I wonder if he felt disgusted by all the other thousands that now sit in a file cabinet.

Rick “also trained as an architect” Denney
09-17-2018, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,292
You may be at a downturn of this cycle:


Last edited by leekil; 09-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
09-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #42
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tirana
Posts: 66
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The thing to remember is that Salieri-as-villain is fiction. Salieri was extremely influential in purely artistic terms, and his conflict with Mozart was ended by the time Mozart became established in Vienna. After that, they collaborated and were, at the least, mutually respectful colleagues.

Personally, I’d be happy to be a Salieri. I do not need to be a Mozart.

I’m also a mediocre musician. (“Dedicated but untalented” might be a better description.) But I have a good ear for the music I hear, and even professionals trust my opinions in that regard. And I have developed a basic technical competency. I’m happy to be a critic, if the role of critic is to expand horizons. Only a poor critic is negative about what he doesn’t understand, and there is much I don’t understand about new music (and photography) that gets praised critically.

I could get depressed about my own mediocrity, or recognize that my technical accomplishments have given me the tools of appreciation that have enriched my life. The most difficult job artists have is editing their own work.

One more thing: Ansel Adams made tens of thousands of photos in his long career. Only hundreds of them are seen in public. I wonder if he felt disgusted by all the other thousands that now sit in a file cabinet.

Rick “also trained as an architect” Denney

Of course I was refering to the fictional Salieri, the character was maybe one of the best performances ever.

Trained in architecture huh... I can see the self criticism flowing in you!
😁
09-19-2018, 01:39 AM   #43
Pentaxian
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
To the OP. I give you an "A" for introspection. I might just add, that if you set perfection as a standard, you will see only where you failed. Concentrate on the good bits.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, christian, composition, creativity/originality, criticism, critique, film camera, flickr, hand, instagram, look, mine, music, person, photography, photos, picture, pictures, post, shot, space, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Post-Christmas New Camera Syndrome Sailor Post Your Photos! 14 01-11-2017 06:18 AM
"Ballot selfies" might be illegal in some states Just1MoreDave General Photography 6 10-21-2016 02:26 PM
My K-5 has developed a "mirror flipping" blackout syndrome... MetteHHH Pentax K-5 15 08-06-2013 01:35 AM
Help a noob relate the reach of a spotting scope to that of an adapted Q colonel00 Pentax Q 8 01-18-2013 03:48 PM
Not one to gripe but you may relate.. X90 ejbpesca Pentax Compact Cameras 3 03-24-2012 12:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top