Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Every field has people like this, which is unfortunate since good constructive criticism is one of the best ways to learn.
All too true. The abuse takes many forms, from outright screaming to subtle digs at your ability. I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.

08-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
All too true. The abuse takes many forms, from outright screaming to subtle digs at your ability. I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.
I assisted several college writing classes and saw many talented people lose interest because they had a Loser that would constantly dig on their work. Then, when you looked at Loser's work, you realized that person had little to no talent but had personalities that required they bring people around them down so they didn't feel too bad.
08-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I assisted several college writing classes and saw many talented people lose interest because they had a Loser that would constantly dig on their work. Then, when you looked at Loser's work, you realized that person had little to no talent but had personalities that required they bring people around them down so they didn't feel too bad.
I don't know that they necessarily feel bad. I think they're addicted to making others feel bad. They love it.
08-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know that they necessarily feel bad. I think they're addicted to making others feel bad. They love it.
People like this are very toxic to those around them. I’ve had a couple in my life, as we all likely have. You never really feel good enough around them.

Sorry for hijacking this thread!

09-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And I've had the uneducated complain about the lack of use of the rule of thirds in my images
I particularly like when a greenhorn gives an old codger like me a lesson on the rule of third.

Not enough consideration is given to the fact that taking photos converts three dimensional motives into two dimensional images. Clever framing, light and DOF consideration can rescue some of that lost one third dimension.

The best compliment I can give or receive; “This pic almost looks three dimensional.”

Cheers
09-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Breaking the rules works, when breaking the rules adds to the story. It doesn't matter whether that's done intentionally or not, but if the artist is able to break in the rules in a way that adds to the story, breaking the rules can make a picture much more interesting. But few people have a natural eye for that (I certainly don't), so knowing the rules will help you break them when you need to, and allow you to take better photographs.
Back in the 80s, I struck up a conversation with the director of education for a photography school. I asked him what the one bit of advice he could give that would make a beginner a better photographer. He thought about it and said, "Know the rule of thirds, and only break it on purpose."
I thought that was good, simple and succinct advice.
09-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I'm quite a Salieri myself too
Hey... I've got enough problems just being a Kerrowdown.

09-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I sometimes wonder how many talented people have quit pursuing their dream because someone like Loser made them believe they couldn't do it.
I wrote an email to someone recently because I was worried that the "Loser" in our lives may have had an effect on this person's view of his abilities. Unfortunately, in this case, Loser was a manager who had control over people's careers. A couple of decades earlier, I'd had my own struggles with Loser. I used to wonder what was wrong with me and why my work wasn't being noticed. So I went to the best workshops I could find...sought out more experienced opinions...and learned that there really wasn't all that much wrong with me, but there was a LOT wrong with Loser! My message to my friend was simply, "Don't let this person determine your worth."
09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your input, it really means a lot to realize this is a normal process/approach in the creative process.
By the way i stumbled upon this paradigm called "analysis paralysis", check it out, it is exactly the thing we were talking about!
09-17-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing to remember is that Salieri-as-villain is fiction. Salieri was extremely influential in purely artistic terms, and his conflict with Mozart was ended by the time Mozart became established in Vienna. After that, they collaborated and were, at the least, mutually respectful colleagues.

Personally, I’d be happy to be a Salieri. I do not need to be a Mozart.

I’m also a mediocre musician. (“Dedicated but untalented” might be a better description.) But I have a good ear for the music I hear, and even professionals trust my opinions in that regard. And I have developed a basic technical competency. I’m happy to be a critic, if the role of critic is to expand horizons. Only a poor critic is negative about what he doesn’t understand, and there is much I don’t understand about new music (and photography) that gets praised critically.

I could get depressed about my own mediocrity, or recognize that my technical accomplishments have given me the tools of appreciation that have enriched my life. The most difficult job artists have is editing their own work.

One more thing: Ansel Adams made tens of thousands of photos in his long career. Only hundreds of them are seen in public. I wonder if he felt disgusted by all the other thousands that now sit in a file cabinet.

Rick “also trained as an architect” Denney
09-17-2018, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You may be at a downturn of this cycle:

Last edited by leekil; 09-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
09-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The thing to remember is that Salieri-as-villain is fiction. Salieri was extremely influential in purely artistic terms, and his conflict with Mozart was ended by the time Mozart became established in Vienna. After that, they collaborated and were, at the least, mutually respectful colleagues.

Personally, I’d be happy to be a Salieri. I do not need to be a Mozart.

I’m also a mediocre musician. (“Dedicated but untalented” might be a better description.) But I have a good ear for the music I hear, and even professionals trust my opinions in that regard. And I have developed a basic technical competency. I’m happy to be a critic, if the role of critic is to expand horizons. Only a poor critic is negative about what he doesn’t understand, and there is much I don’t understand about new music (and photography) that gets praised critically.

I could get depressed about my own mediocrity, or recognize that my technical accomplishments have given me the tools of appreciation that have enriched my life. The most difficult job artists have is editing their own work.

One more thing: Ansel Adams made tens of thousands of photos in his long career. Only hundreds of them are seen in public. I wonder if he felt disgusted by all the other thousands that now sit in a file cabinet.

Rick “also trained as an architect” Denney

Of course I was refering to the fictional Salieri, the character was maybe one of the best performances ever.

Trained in architecture huh... I can see the self criticism flowing in you!
😁
09-19-2018, 01:39 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP. I give you an "A" for introspection. I might just add, that if you set perfection as a standard, you will see only where you failed. Concentrate on the good bits.