Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Neat stuff. Surprised by the volume they do. It would seem to be an indicator of continued popularity, which is really nice to see.
With 6 million Pentax lenses out there, the large majority being old glass, it's probably a pretty good business plan.

08-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do they have an optical bench for the 600/4? Noone does outside Japan. Mine needs adjustment.

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With 6 million Pentax lenses out there, the large majority being old glass, it's probably a pretty good business plan.

I believe it is closer to 30 million.
08-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #18

Interesting. Maybe they were always at this facility and when Hoya shut down some of the sites in Japan they just took it over except for the.parts that were shipped to other plants.
08-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Do they have an optical bench for the 600/4? Noone does outside Japan. Mine needs adjustment.

@Digitalis Can you help?

08-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to have another repair choice - hopefully they'll service lenses from outside Japan.
08-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
@Digitalis Can you help?
Japan's closer!
08-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
@Digitalis Can you help?
Sadly no, since I moved house my optics bench has been mothballed for the time being. It also depends on what needs to be repaired: my lens technician can fabricate mechanical parts*, however for IC's and electronic couplings it would be better if you can work with someone who can source authentic components from the manufacturer.

I'll also point out that testing really long telephoto lenses over 200mm on an optics bench can be really difficult. Imperceptible vibrations can skew results in spectacular ways.

*with high tolerances to the point where even an experienced Leica technician cannot tell the difference between the new part and a Leica replacement.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-31-2018 at 01:35 AM.
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that they seem to be able to manufacture parts which are no longer available. Although I also noticed they state some FA lenses are repaired by the manufacturer.
08-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #24

I don't see anywhere that says they make parts. Odds are they bought the left over inventory of spare parts of lenses that Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh decided not service any longer or will hand fabricate parts when possible. They are probably an authorized repair facility so I don't see why Ricoh wouldn't sell the parts for newer lenses. Besides the policy on parts might be different in Japan.

When Minolta shut down in the US one of their factory repair techs bought out the existing inventory of spare parts as well as the necessary instruments and went into business for himself - Terry's Camera Repair here in Southern California.
08-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't see anywhere that says they make parts.
It’s probably implicit if they claim to repair all past lenses, but I’m not even sure they actually say that, or perhaps that they can make all repairs. Some repairs of course don’t need spare parts.
09-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They will repair Pentax bodies too. I sent in my MZ-s with the Mirror motor gear issue and they fixed it. It works like new now.
10-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Nice to have another repair choice - hopefully they'll service lenses from outside Japan.

Yes, they do. MY friend has sent in his FA*80-200/2.8 as well as his A*135/1.8 to them for service and both came back repaired.
02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #28
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to resuscitate this topic but since I have big troubles with my A* 300 mm f/2.8 ED IF (see here Focus ring jammed on a SMC Pentax A* 300 mm f/2.8 - PentaxForums.com) I tried contacting this Japanese company with their contact module, from their site, and I got a mail with the summary of my request but from a email address that does not seems to exist (I tried sending an email to this address to better explain my issue and got a delivery failure notification). The address is n_toshiyuki@kmj.biglobe.ne.jp
If any of you could help I would be grateful.
Thanks
02-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
Sorry to resuscitate this topic but since I have big troubles with my A* 300 mm f/2.8 ED IF (see here Focus ring jammed on a SMC Pentax A* 300 mm f/2.8 - PentaxForums.com) I tried contacting this Japanese company with their contact module, from their site, and I got a mail with the summary of my request but from a email address that does not seems to exist (I tried sending an email to this address to better explain my issue and got a delivery failure notification). The address is n_toshiyuki@kmj.biglobe.ne.jp
If any of you could help I would be grateful.
Thanks
As I said in the original post, they don't really seem set up for dealing with people overseas. Did you write to them in English or Japanese?
02-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #30
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I replied to the confirmation mail, in English, but the issue is that the email address is not valid. It is probably a “no reply” address, although those are generally identified as such, which is not the case here. I didn’t find in their site a contact address. And, of course I do not write or speak Japanese.

Edit: on the pdf form for request on their site there is a contact email with mailto:n_toshiyuki0616@kmj.biglobe.ne.jp
This email is different from the other I mentioned above. I will give it a try.

Last edited by scc; 02-04-2021 at 12:31 PM.