Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows 10, Gimp & Pentax

Is anyone using Windows 10 & Gimp 2.10.x Interested to know if anyone has a working install ( that doesn't remove the exif data when exporting an image ). Canon, Nikon, Sony export with the exif data in tact but with any Pentax file (K30, K20D, Optio E40) the exif is not exported.

Read more at: Latest GIMP stripping metadata from exported jpeg - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

09-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #2

Have you reported an Issue on the GIMP GitHub?

GIMP - Reporting an*Issue
09-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Is anyone using Windows 10 & Gimp 2.10.x Interested to know if anyone has a working install ( that doesn't remove the exif data when exporting an image ). Canon, Nikon, Sony export with the exif data in tact but with any Pentax file (K30, K20D, Optio E40) the exif is not exported.

Read more at: Latest GIMP stripping metadata from exported jpeg - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
That happens under Linux too, at least for GIMP 2.8 as I'm running. It's a known "feature" of GIMP, unfortunately, and not specific to Pentax files It may have been resolved in later versions... I know there were plans to add full EXIF support...
09-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Have you reported an Issue on the GIMP GitHub?

GIMP - Reporting an*Issue
no, but I should, thanks for the link

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That happens under Linux too, at least for GIMP 2.8 as I'm running. It's a known "feature" of GIMP, unfortunately, and not specific to Pentax files It may have been resolved in later versions... I know there were plans to add full EXIF support...
I was running GIMP 2.8 and previous versions without any issue, the problem only occurred when I updated to 2.10.0 & the same with 2.10.6. Some Linux users tell me they have no such problems with 2.10.x I'm wondering if any one has it working on windows 10, seems odd to me that only Pentax files not exporting exif data

09-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never faced this problem. I run gimp in linux. I have had 2.8 and now 2.10
09-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have never faced this problem. I run gimp in linux. I have had 2.8 and now 2.10
I assume you're not loading TIFF files? My workflow is raw into Darktable, export TIFF, open TIFF in GIMP 2.8 at which point EXIF is stripped. If I recall correctly, it's not a problem with JPEGs...
09-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
all the Linux users seem to be telling me they have no problem, so I think its a gimp/windows problem...… anyone use gimp with Windows 10 ?

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 01:22 AM ----------

I assume you're not loading TIFF files? My workflow is raw into Draktable, export TIFF, open TIFF in GIMP 2.8 at which point EXIF is stripped. If I recall correctly, it's not a problem with JPEGs...
I'm loading OOC jpegs (exif data ok) then export as a jpeg (exif data gone), only with Pentax files. Sony, Nikon, Canon & Casio jpegs all opened & exported ok with data intact.

09-07-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm loading OOC jpegs (exif data ok) then export as a jpeg (exif data gone), only with Pentax files. Sony, Nikon, Canon & Casio jpegs all opened & exported ok with data intact.
Ah, OK. That puts a different slant on it. Our workflows are different, so I'm afraid I can't help. That's an unusual finding, though... I'll be following the thread with interest.
09-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I assume you're not loading TIFF files? My workflow is raw into Darktable, export TIFF, open TIFF in GIMP 2.8 at which point EXIF is stripped. If I recall correctly, it's not a problem with JPEGs...
I do RAW in Darktable, then export to Jpeg, then gimp.
09-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I do RAW in Darktable, then export to Jpeg, then gimp.
Right, that's our difference. Yours is a perfectly valid approach, however the reason I export to TIFF from Darktable is that it's a lossless rather than lossy file format. Assuming you're exporting your GIMP files to JPEG also, then you're subjecting your original raw files to lossy compression twice over. But if the level of compression is minor when you export from Darktable, the impact should be quite minimal...
09-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I have exactly that setup except I have a K-70. The exif data can be read at Check files for metadata info every time whether the export is made without processing or after some post processing. Do be sure the "Save exif data" box is checked on the Advanced screen as you are exporting.

I haven't tried reading in .tiff and exporting to .jpg. Only reading and exporting to .jpg.

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-07-2018 at 11:08 AM.
09-07-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

1. TIFFs are just too large. Sometimes larger than RAW. I dont have the space.
2. Gimp does not do non destructive editing. Duplicating layers with TIFF files,......phew, you will end up with huuuuge filesize.

I found that JPEG is very much sufficient.
Imagine opening 50 TIFF files for wedding.
09-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

1. TIFFs are just too large. Sometimes larger than RAW. I dont have the space.
2. Gimp does not do non destructive editing. Duplicating layers with TIFF files,......phew, you will end up with huuuuge filesize.

I found that JPEG is very much sufficient.
Imagine opening 50 TIFF files for wedding.
I readily accept your experience in this, as my tendency to work with TIFF is purely precautionary. Can I ask, what level of quality do you use when exporting your JPEGs? And do you notice much loss in quality, both from the initial export and the final GIMP export?
09-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I have exactly that setup except I have a K-70...
I haven't tried reading in .tiff and exporting to .jpg. Only reading and exporting to .jpg.
Tried this and it worked fine.
09-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Tried this and it worked fine.
Just to be clear, you imported TIFF into GIMP (2.8?), exported JPEG and kept EXIF data in the final JPEG?