Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just to be clear, you imported TIFF into GIMP (2.8?), exported JPEG and kept EXIF data in the final JPEG?
GIMP 2.10 not 2.8. But yes.

09-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
GIMP 2.10 not 2.8. But yes.
Ah, OK. That makes sense... It was a *big* release
09-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, OK. That makes sense... It was a *big* release
Yes I am using 2.10 now and it seems fine - I had the issue with 2.8 (and on linux)
09-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes I am using 2.10 now and it seems fine - I had the issue with 2.8 (and on linux)
Apologies to the OP for moving slightly off-topic, but...

How do you find the performance of 2.10 compared to 2.8? I heard that it's much slower. I'd like to move to the new version, but not if performance is a significant issue...

09-07-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you find the performance of 2.10 compared to 2.8? I heard that it's much slower. I'd like to move to the new version, but not if performance is a significant issue...
Well I built a new computer for it - I went from a dual core E6600 @ 3ghz (cpu benchmark 1500) and 8 gig ram to i7 7700 3.6ghz (cpu benchmark 10800) and 16 gig ram . the 2.10 on the i7 is considerably slower than 2.8 on the dual core. Haven't set up the GPU to help yet on either. Noticeably slow on decomposing.
09-07-2018, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Much slower to load. Not noticing much else.
09-07-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have exactly that setup except I have a K-70. The exif data can be read at Check files for metadata info every time whether the export is made without processing or after some post processing. Do be sure the "Save exif data" box is checked on the Advanced screen as you are exporting.

I haven't tried reading in .tiff and exporting to .jpg. Only reading and exporting to .jpg.
that's interesting, so it sounds as though it's capable of working or should work but my install doesn't. Ive tried on 2 different Win 10 PCs and the problem was the same on both installs, one being W10 64bit home (retail) the other W10 64bit Home (OEM upgraded from Win7) both on auto update. The download was from the gimp.org site. Now I really am confused . I got no Idea.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

to be honest I didn't notice it being any slower, but I don't do a lot of heavy processing. in some respects I thought it was a bit snappier, but it has extra features like "shadows & Highlights" sliders which make it really easiy to do a quick tweet of dynamic range. I know you can do it by other ways but this is so much easier. Other features as well that I'm yet to expore as this exif issue has put a stop to all things at the moment.

09-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #23
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am guessing the different response here may be due to usage. I export out of Darktable as a tiff. 180mb vs 15mb Jpg. This tiff opens and is processed as 16 bit in Gimp 2.10 while from what I can tell from some experimenting is that a jpg is processed as 8 bit.
So , jgnfld and CeeCee are you opening jpegs?
09-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am guessing the different response here may be due to usage. I export out of Darktable as a tiff. 180mb vs 15mb Jpg. This tiff opens and is processed as 16 bit in Gimp 2.10 while from what I can tell from some experimenting is that a jpg is processed as 8 bit.
That's one of the reasons I'm interested in 2.10 - the ability to work with 16 bit TIFF files.

And yes - JPEGs use 8 bit colour encoding. It's sufficient in many circumstances, but in the past I've noticed banding in colour gradients which can be annoying, hence I stick to TIFFs as a precaution. But large file sizes are the trade-off, so I fully understand someone choosing to work with JPEG if it works for them.
09-08-2018, 02:00 AM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's one of the reasons I'm interested in 2.10 - the ability to work with 16 bit TIFF files.

And yes - JPEGs use 8 bit colour encoding. It's sufficient in many circumstances, but in the past I've noticed banding in colour gradients which can be annoying, hence I stick to TIFFs as a precaution. But large file sizes are the trade-off, so I fully understand someone choosing to work with JPEG if it works for them.
Sky gradients sometimes show the 8 bit limitation. I wasn't sure whether an 8bit image may have still been processed with 16 bit precision so I did an experiment. I took a sunset with a sky gradient and exported it from darktable as a jpg and a tiff. Using the curves tool I dropped the contrast very low then next step I pulled it back. Result banding in the jpg and perfection in the tiff. But agreed the gain from working in tiff barely makes up for the resources demand.
09-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I readily accept your experience in this, as my tendency to work with TIFF is purely precautionary. Can I ask, what level of quality do you use when exporting your JPEGs? And do you notice much loss in quality, both from the initial export and the final GIMP export?
I use to export 100% jpeg quality from Darktable.
But based on some discussion on Google+ Darktable. I understood that you can export at 95% without affecting quality.
The benefit is smaller file size. But personally I export at 98%.

In gimp after all my edits I export 100%.
09-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Tried both in my case.
09-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tried both in my case.
Out of curiosity does your 2.10 , when rendering a change, tile its way down an image compared to the quick image change in 2.8? I am wondering if i have a GPU issue.
And do you use the decomposing modes which I find have slowed the most?
09-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try toggling on Hardware Acceleration (use OpenCL) in Edit->Preferences->System Resources. It will offload some of the CPU load onto the GPU if your hardware allows it and you have a working OpenCL environment. Big speedup in many cases.
09-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #30
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Try toggling on Hardware Acceleration (use OpenCL) in Edit->Preferences->System Resources. It will offload some of the CPU load onto the GPU if your hardware allows it and you have a working OpenCL environment. Big speedup in many cases.
OK that sent me off to finally work out how to get Opencl working in Ubuntu 18.04. Turned out to be now simple - install the nvidia drivers. Last time I tried - a few years ago - it had me bamboozled.
Results;

Darktable
export K-1 file as tiff with profiled denoise applied
No Opencl -- 34 seconds
OpenCL enabled ---- 18 seconds.

Gimp
No observable difference between Opencl and no Opencl. (tried Decompose HSV, apply colour curve , greyscale)

And for reference the above exported K-1 tiff opened in Gimp and Decompose HSV applied - 35 seconds to fully render.
I would like to know your result for HSV Decompose jbinpg