Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK this gets really weird now, I haven't had a lot of time for things photographic lately but last weekend I decided to see if there were any remnants of my Gimp 2.8 install lurking after it was uninstalled, So a quick search through the registry found lots of instances of gimp 2.8. I decided to unistall gimp 2.10.06 so no more gimp on my system at all. I then went through the registry and removed any keys with ref to gimp 2.8 or 2.10, After that I reinstalled 2.10.06, loaded up a JPG file & checked exif - all there as expected, I then exported the file and rechecked exif in gimp and it was there ! normally what would have happened is the exif would not have been there after the export command had been executed (viewing the exif data in gimp it would be no longer there).

this is promising I thought. So I checked the file properties in windows and all the exif was in tact, finally I thought, that's sorted. However, the next day when I tried the same process the exif data was not contained in the exported JPG, although strangely reading within gimp after export the exif is still there, where as before the registry clean up & reinstall it was gone after export. Just to remind people this only happens with Pentax JPG files, Sony, Nikon and Canon JPG files are all ok with exif fully intact.

---------- Post added 09-21-18 at 06:08 PM ----------

NOW THIS WILL GET YOUR INTEREST - So I right click my Pentax JPG file and go Properties / details and all exif intact as expected, I click on "Camera Make" and change it from "PENTAX" to "Nikon". I open the file in gimp view meta data and check camera make = "Nikon" I export the file and inspect the properties and all the exif data is there ! it all works as expected .....go figure, It's Like the word Pentax has been left of a list of manufacturers or something !

Last edited by Cee Cee; 09-21-2018 at 01:28 AM.
09-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the very latest... So I edit the camera make from "PENTAX" to "Pentax" before opening in gimp and exporting works fine with all the exif data intact. The 3 cameras I have all have "PENTAX" as the camera make (K30, K20D, OptioE40) I wonder if later models have the word "Pentax"
well at least this gives me a work around, any photos I want to process I'll just have edit the exif to "Pentax" before starting. Good thing I don't take too many good photos.
I'll have to try "NIKON" and see what happens.
09-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #33

Well like I said before, report it on the GitHub for Gimp. Seems like an easy enough fix. Either to a case in-sensitive match or and an "or" for both cases.
09-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Well like I said before, report it on the GitHub for Gimp. Seems like an easy enough fix. Either to a case in-sensitive match or and an "or" for both cases.
I have submitted a report.

after more tests it seems the exif "Camera Make" can be any thing you like or even nothing at all and it works fine, but just not the word "PENTAX", which was what was used up until the K5 after that it's "RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD"