Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I had a camera going to canada detour and come back from the border to the southern USA - not where it originated mind you. I sent it from North Carolina, and it went to Ontario and then back to Texas and then back to Ontario. It was the most confusing mess. Then it claimed LOST when it was delivered.

OY!
I once tracked a package destined to me, (origin, Norway, destination Texas), go from Oslo to Germany to Philadelphia, back
to Germany, back to Philadelphia, delivered to me. No real problem aside from the delay, though I was worried that it had been
rejected by customs. One can only assume postage costs reflect the extra expense of an occasionally misrouted package.

09-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I just had a package (with a lens in it) held up by US customs on its way to Canada. I was seriously annoyed as well as puzzled.
It was delayed by customs >leaving< the country? Why? Did they contact you? How was it resolved?
I can only guess they xrayed the package and couldn't decipher the image.
09-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
delayed by customs >leaving< the country?
IKR as my daughter would say. I have no idea. I spent several hour banging my head against bureaucratic brick walls and got nothing but a headache.
Finally it moved along and should be in the buyers hands shortly--unless the bureaucrats on his end decide to get silly (which I doubt because they're Canadian.)
09-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #49
Pentaxian

If you're talking about the categories under "Shipment Information", I would have either chosen 'Commercial Sample' or
'Returned Goods'. You might also have selected 'Gift'. There >is< a category for 'Other', to which you might have filled
out something like 'scientific equipment'. I think the problem is that you put the onus of the problem in the hands of the
clerk, who then over thunk the problem.
No, "other" was not there. I was looking at the clerk's computer screen as they tried to figure it out. I also looked for entries like "scientific", "optic", and "return".

09-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ouch!

These two sites may have been useful:
Import Duty Calculator - SimplyDuty

For which you need the HS code:
See HS code list: what is it and how to lookup your product?

I would have guessed, this would be the code:
9001 - 9033 Optical, photographic, cinematographic, measuring, checking, precision, medical or surgical instruments and apparatus; parts and accessories thereof
The computer screen that I got stuck with at 2 post offices had around 2 entries listed. It was a non-scrolling list on the side of the screen, and not as extensive as the HS list.
09-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The computer screen that I got stuck with at 2 post offices had around 2 entries listed. It was a non-scrolling list on the side of the screen, and not as extensive as the HS list.
Of course, with it being their item that was on loan to you, there should have been no duty anyway, I would have thought. Sometimes this stuff makes no sense.
09-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was delayed by customs >leaving< the country? Why? Did they contact you? How was it resolved?
I can only guess they xrayed the package and couldn't decipher the image.
No explanation for mine, but my assumption is that in Canada it was rejected or rerouted. I don't have the detailed list anymore but it went to customs for Canada multiple times.

---------- Post added 09-13-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I can attest to the fact that if you get the proper codes applied it works. It just takes extra time to prep and to ship. Not much fun.

09-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #53
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it seems from reading all of these posts

for the first time seller or one with little experience, unless the knowledge on how to do this properly is learned before, it can be quite difficult, frustrating and/or expensive

for those who get lucky with people helping at the shipping companies/post office, it might be very helpful

as one who does not intend to sell a lot [ probably less than 10 items or so life time ] I think I will continue to limit the area I would ship to

good luck to everyone else

I agree this thread should be a sticky or if anyone wants to give it try, an article
09-13-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Price History) Once a sale is completed, the seller and buyer are under no obligation to let anyone else know the
selling price. Yes, that information may be convenient >for you<, but it is potentially inconvenient for the seller and buyer,
(who may also be a future seller). Let's say I sell something for $20. I'm happy with the sale but also feel the sale was too
easy and perhaps I could sell the same thing next time for $30. Not knowing the last item sold for $20, you may think $30
is a great price. However, if you know I sold the last item for $20 you may be hesitant to spend $30. In short, the sale price
is privileged information that has value.
You are right that the seller nor the buyer need to revile the final selling price at anytime.What the OP is asking about though on price is not what the item sold for but why remove the price the seller had the item listed for.

I have seen this myself that when a seller has a few items for sale on the same ad, they sometimes will remove the listed price and put SOLD. I agree with the OP that when an item is sold, the seller should leave the price that he was asking with SOLD before the description of the item, after the description, or both places. There is no harm in leaving the asking price on an ad that says SOLD.
09-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
You are right that the seller nor the buyer need to revile the final selling price at anytime.What the OP is asking about though on price is not what the item sold for but why remove the price the seller had the item listed for.

I have seen this myself that when a seller has a few items for sale on the same ad, they sometimes will remove the listed price and put SOLD. I agree with the OP that when an item is sold, the seller should leave the price that he was asking with SOLD before the description of the item, after the description, or both places. There is no harm in leaving the asking price on an ad that says SOLD.
Presumably in most cases the listed asking price >is< the final selling price. The two are thus the same,
and what I said earlier still applies. Once the item has sold, the seller is under no obligation to keep the
former asking/selling price listed.

'Harm' is perhaps a harsh word to use in this case. The selling price is privileged information and does have
value. It is valuable to the seller to not share that information because the seller may wish to change the selling
price for similar items at a later date. It is valuable information to the buyer because no one has the right to know
what the buyer paid. You could say the seller is 'harmed' by leaving the selling price because it pins him/her
to that price for future sales. You could say the buyer is 'harmed' because others may be critical or envious
of what they paid. The buyer may further be 'harmed' because others are now privy to their finances.

Just playing devil's advocate, as a seller. Once again, as a >buyer< I too would like to see a complete price
history for anything and everything ever sold.
09-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
'Harm' is perhaps a harsh word to use in this case. The selling price is privileged information and does have
value. It is valuable to the seller to not share that information because the seller may wish to change the selling
price for similar items at a later date. It is valuable information to the buyer because no one has the right to know
what the buyer paid. You could say the seller is 'harmed' by leaving the selling price because it pins him/her
to that price for future sales. You could say the buyer is 'harmed' because others may be critical or envious
of what they paid. The buyer may further be 'harmed' because others are now privy to their finances.
All true, plus some.
I tend to use Ebay's completed item search to determine market value. It's a much larger forum of buyers and sellers.